Speed is the #1 criteria

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2009 Mar 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speed is my #1 criteria. Speed of finding answers, getting answers, posting questions, and just general page loading.

I view these forums almost exclusively from my daytime job. I can't be see as continually web surfing. I need to get an answer to particular questions quickly. So page load speed is important.

This is why the current forum is so great- just text, hardly any css, no javascripts, no images, no avatars, no advertising, no Flash/flash. I also need a way to see as much as possible of each topic on screen at once. Currently I can see almost all current topics without scrolling my page. I can see if my post is answered, or new posts are there, etc. Having to scroll 3 pages with lots of wasted space time consuming. Having only 1 page worth of topics, but with tons of fancy frames and wasted space and such so I only see, say 15 topics per page, will kill me. I'd rather see 50 or 100 topics listed on one page than need to load multiple pages. Perhaps a pref to show XX items per page if need be.

I am against avatars, long signatures, javascripts, and wasted vertical space, and Flash.
I also HATE grey text. All text should be BLACK. Unless it is grey for a real reason, like a legal disclaimer or something.
I would like to be able to upload screenshots to be able to clarify problems, that is one thing I will accept if it's a tiny bit slower.

Sorry to sound like a rant but in order to do my job I need these forums to get answers. Having them crash n burn like the last time would be a big problem.

Thanks,
Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2009 Mar 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After looking at the new forum test, I can agree that at this point speed is the major issue. It is SLOW! I have given up for now just because of the slow speed. Even the editing and such is slow. The edit page takes about 14 seconds to load. Going to another discussion, or just back to the past discussion using the BACK button takes a lot of time. Probably a minimum of 5 seconds, probably more. The new forums are not a good reason for me to hang around, I have other things to do with the wasted time (unless I could figure out how to work as I wait, but time management was never my thing!).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2009 Mar 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> OK, I can't stand it any longer. One criterion, many criteria.

It must be easy for a moderator to remove that glaring howler.

I go "Ouch!" every time I see it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 17, 2009 Mar 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Who says I don't work weekends?

Well, you shouldn't have to work weekends. Especially if there will be scads of complaints problems to fix. I see that the beta was launched on a Monday ... good timing. (Although I suspect from your comment you worked all weekend to get it up and ready.)

Thanks from all of us on that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I give John lots of Kudos and say that a lot more happens behind the scenes to make this kind of thing happen than is ever known or apparent upfront.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can. :)

lots of us know first hand what goes on behind the scenes with a project like this. (or some of us do anyway).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't, although I have my suspicions, but want to give John and his team my wormest thanks anyway.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>that a lot more happens behind the scenes to make this kind of thing happen than is ever known or apparent upfront.

Thank you for that information.

Yes, well done to John and his team. And apart from not going to new content (for the individual), it's not half bad.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>my wormest thanks

¡Cuidado con esos gusanos, Claudio! :D

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Ramón, you have written Caludio more than once (not this time) and I haven't complained... Blame the worms in my fingers. XD

Addition for Eglish speakers: "Gusano" is "worm" in Spanish

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not complaining either, Claudio; just celebrating. :)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2009 Mar 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks all for the props.

The new test forum, the page load speed seems comparable to what is loading now.
That is GOOD!

Page function speed needs to be improved. Currently there is 2nd page/window required to respond to a message. This makes it SLOW. Plus, I can't see all the other posts. I would like a "quick reply" box at the bottom of the page, similar to how replies are built now. If I had a complex problem or reply I can use the "full" editor including style buttons and images etc.

I agree the look of it, and wasted screen space, is poor design.

I'd like the button for "show all posts" back.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines