• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Starting new discussion link hard to find [2018]

Contributor ,
Jun 17, 2018 Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent so much time trying how to start a new discussion on the Adobe Illustrator forum that I actually had to google how to post on the Adobe forums. Luckily I found the following post:

Instructions on how to post a question in a forum

Down the bottom there is a helpful image of where to click to start a new discussion. This is a terrible user experience. Unless Adobe is trying to discourage users from posting on their forums they really should make this more obvious.

Is there a issue report for the Adobe forums them self?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 17, 2018 Jun 17, 2018

Adobe did not write the forum software

See my reply #1 for help How do I edit my firstname?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe did not write the forum software

See my reply #1 for help How do I edit my firstname?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what if Adobe didn't write the software for this forum. There's plenty they can do to change it, this is Adobe, John T Smith, not the local corner store.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>There's plenty they can do to change it

No... all forum changes must be requested from Adobe to Jive (Adobe rents Jive) so if Jive is not able to modify their base product in the "exact" way Adobe wants, the change won't be done

And, according to what I've read, to be able to receive future Jive updates, very little is changed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with John. There has been a lot of effort on Adobe's part to make the forums easier to use, but unless Jive makes those changes, there us nothing Adobe can do. As ACPs we have been in on these discussions with Adobe about trying to improve the forums. Some improvements have been made, but it's a slow, hard process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question. Of all the forums I've ever used, these are the only ones with no link to start a new question or thread. The answer the original poster provided did not help me, as I'm trying to start a new thread on the Photoshop forum and that link text "Still have questions, start a new thread" does not appear at the bottom of pages on the PS forum. I will tackle the other answer which speaks of root, etc., but it seems like Greek to me, I do not know the terminology he uses. If Adobe did not create the forums, why are they claiming the copyright, down at the bottom of every page?

Can anyone provide in plain English the answer to How to start a new thread in the PS forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As John mentioned, Adobe did not write the format of these forums, so they are at the mercy of the forum originator. The forums have changed. I usually use the content page, rather than the overview page, and the new discussion is right at the top left.

On the overview page, it's still on the bottom:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that it is VERY difficult trying to post a new discussion!!! Have never had such a hard time before. Had I not found this post of yours I would have just given up today

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, unfortunately I didn´t find the "start a new discussion" button at these pages as Chuck Uebele mentioned (on the Lightroom page). I still don´t know how to write in my question..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pete,

When you scroll the the very bottom of the Lightroom forum, you should see the Start a Discussion link. If you don't, then post a link of what you do see.

Also, if you ask a quesion here, we can branch it and then move it to the proper forum.

As volunteers, we can't change the Jive software, but we can help you navigate it so that you get your Adobe questions answered!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx Jane, I´ve got it now 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> There has been a lot of effort on Adobe's part to make the forums easier to use.

Are you guys software engineers? They could do quite a few things independent of Jive (besides telling Jive to take a hike if they have no interest in making their product useable for the base of one of the largest consumer software companies around).

They could make their own page that hot links to the Ask New Question page. The could write code that mods the HTML/CSS which jive serves up before it gets to the browser. They could write some Javascript hacks on it. Heck, I've got a browser extension that can spawn a rocket and go around shooting up all the objects on the screen HTML element by HTML element as if it's an 80s Asteroids game, if a browser extension can do that to this page then I think Adobes hands are not quite as tied as you like to believe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wideEyedPupil  wrote

Are you guys software engineers?

Hi wideEyedPupil,

No, we are just volunteers who are long-time users of Adobe software who try to help people who have questions. We can't recode Jive, but we can help you navigate this site. Do you have any specific questions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done a little development, but other on these discussions are developers, and some have quit contributing to the forums due to how bad they used to be. Yes, Adobe could do a variety of hacks, but I think their main point is that if they're paying a company to develop and maintain the forum, why should they dump money and resources into fixing another companies problems. Adobe needs to spend those resources on fixing their own products: bug fixes etc, which they need to do a better job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wideEyedPupil  wrote

Are you guys software engineers? .

Some are, most aren't. All are users of Adobe software.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'd like to think Adobe IS responsible for the layout of their forums, no matter who actually designed them. I presume they paid that person money, so they should be user-friendly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

marcelp61268127, what is it that you need help with? We are here to assist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

marcelp61268127  wrote

I presume they paid that person money, so they should be user-friendly.

I presume Adobe bought a service because it was not in their core business line to write such a software. My fist contact to Adobe fora was with a different system. When I returned some time ago, I did have my problems too. All of us agree that the forum software is far from perfect.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2023 Jul 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried above, but a bit circuitous.  The direct approach would be:

1.  Click on page headline above, "Adobe Support Community."

2.  Click on product, e.g. "Adobe Acrobat."

3.  In search box (near top of page) type the title of your thread.

4.  When you start typing in the box, two buttons will appear below.  One is "Post to community."  (The other is "More search results.")  Click on "Post to community," and a box opens to enter your text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2023 Jul 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you navigate to a forum page, don't you see the "post to community" link at the upper right side of the page?

kglad_0-1689534685839.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not if the thread is closed.  Don't forget that new members have a problem or question, and are often referred to old threads by a search engine.  You are right though.  There should be a "start a new topic" button on pages that are closed to further posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no one should be checking a thread to start a new discussion.  and if anyone is trying to start a new thread in a closed forum, they have the wrong forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2023 Jul 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Tried above, but a bit circuitous.  The direct approach would be:

By @Thedoc328

Hi TheDoc,

You posted to a thread from six years ago in 2018. Since then Adobe moved to different forum software. The directions you are reading in this thread were not circuitous then.

You raise a good point about users landing on an old or locked page when using a search engine. To post a feature request for the forums, start a new thread in Using the Community and tag it as an Idea, not a Discussion.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines