• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Still seeing problems with EDIT not... editing.

Jun 15, 2010 Jun 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a clue why or what the trigger for this one is but often I'll do a quick edit and it'll just refuse to show up.  I think it's typically when there's a very short time span between the post and edit.

What really Jives me is that it doesn't always happen (this is with the same Chrome browser), ex I just did a fast edit on this forum in a post before this but it showed up fine.  What gives JIVE?  This 'forum' jiveware = fail.

So is this a known issue or one of our many "accepted bugs"?  Something as basic as "edit" should work every time...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that. If I spot a mistake in my pos

t, sometimes it takes three or four tries to get the e

dit to stick.

FF 3.6.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ansury

As you say you are using Chrome and we have all been advised that the forum software is a few versions behind, maybe what we are using doesn't work that well in Chrome?

</speculation mode>

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that this happens MANY times in Safari 4.0.5.

I can edit a message and the edit doesn't show up in the thread. I can go back in to edit the message again and the previous edits are there in the edit box (they just aren't carrying over to the thread itself). Sometimes it takes going into the edit field 2-3 times and resaving before it will show up in the actual thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 18, 2010 Jun 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, with the large number of admin responses I can see that this is indeed a "known" (but that's about it) issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2010 Jun 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To date, I have not encountered this anomaly, and am using Chrome too. All edits, regardless of the elapsed time from post, are taking for me.

I know that does not help in your case, but at least another user with Chrome is not seeing such. Should that change, I'll update.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - now I did get a double post yesterday, but that was probably just OE on my part - maybe a hiccup, just as I hit Post Reply. Also, I waited about 30 sec. and added this PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 19, 2010 Jun 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had any problems with editing in the forums.

And I use Mozilla products (SeaMonkey/FireFox/ Camino) although I have tried Opera, OmniWeb, iCab, and Safari on a Mac (OSX.4.11).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2010 Jun 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Phillip said (FF).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 25, 2010 Jun 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm n ot calling you guys slow, but I think this only seems to happen when I post and then quickly edit the post within 1-2 seconds, so it may be a timing thing.  But even then it isn't consistent, so.... ugh.

Extra random spaces in words courtesy of Jiveware (linefeed?) bugs when using Chrome...I think

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2010 Jun 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

I think this only seems to happen when I post and then quickly edit the post within 1-2 seconds, so it may be a timing thing.

Do you always have to post and then quickly edit your message within 1-2 seconds?  How about writing a draft first and then post it only if you are sure it is exactly what you want to say.  I always spend about a minute or so to read everything I write before clicking on "Post Message" button.  In any case messages don't have to be absolutely correct grammatically because the beauty of these forums is that they allow you to write whatever comes to your mind without worrying about your job!

hth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

DWILCOX01 wrote:

Ansury wrote:

I think this only seems to happen when I post and then quickly edit the post within 1-2 seconds, so it may be a timing thing.

Do you always have to post and then quickly edit your message within 1-2 seconds?  How about writing a draft first and then post it only if you are sure it is exactly what you want to say.

I am fairly careful usually, but I'm used to having a PREVIEW function (like every real forum on the face of the planet has).  Not to mention, what you see in the text box (non-preview view) isn't always exactly what you see in the actual message. 

Ex. When you're posting source code and you need it to be formatted in a certain way so it's readable...  Or how about when you type a word that our 1950's-era language filter happens to dislike?  You can't tell whether it was "star'ed" until AFTER it's posted.  So now you have people thinking you're putting foul ******* language all over the forums when you're really typing f*r*i*g*g*i*n or "poopy" or something harmless.  A preview would at least save us from that nonsense, but this primitive jiveware doesn't even give us that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2010 Jun 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a test, the reply above was edited as soon as the thread's page appeared. Can only guess that it was 2 - 3 sec., at the most.

However, if inconsistent, then it could have been one of the good times. I'll try it a few times, and see what happens.

Hunt

[Edit] Just did it 4x in the Video Lounge, and all were fine for me. Still, I could be slow, or over wireless G, my page refresh could be just slow enough to get past some threshold. By my count, the time was ~ 2 - 3 sec, but did not get the stopwatch out, so it's still only a bit of a guess.

PS - I am also SLOW, so that might well account for it.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to post test messages, please use one of the testing forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the testing was done in other fora, and only reported here. Those messages were edited, as was necessary.

Sorry to have troubled you,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 27, 2010 Jun 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The testing forums are not fully representative of some of the other forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2010 Jun 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, it just happened to me in the PS>Windows forum. It took two Edits to make the corrections. Now, I have seen what you are talking about.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good, so that's a 3rd confirmation after my own and John J's, so we know it's a (yet another) real issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines