• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The new abyss

Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2009 Aug 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just found out that threads in this forum are archived after a month.

This is really serious.

We were told that the time limits of the fair forums would not apply to the new forums.

John or whoever else can reopen the old threads, please do so. Some of them deserve to be revived as new knowledge appears. I was going to repost in a few of them. Too many valuable observations and suggestions will be lost.

I wonder which hidden conditions apply to the other forums.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe we should follow Ansury's and Phillip's suggestions of starting a new forum...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why would you need copies of previous post here to start NTTP Groups.

There is a a NTTP group called Flash-newbie that not even hosted here or on Macromedia when it was in existence. It on a server from Austraila if I am not mistaken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK threads in the Forum comments forum are not archived. Could you describe the content you are looking for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go down to the first (or any other) thread in this forum with the last post being 1 month ago (or more), you will se a sign at the top that the thread is archived, and there is no way Reply button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really an abyss then, but more of a plateau: the content doesn't disappear, it is just locked. I'll have to check with JC though, this is not something moderators can configure or overrule.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the point of locking threads after a month?  Where's the gain?  Just to Jive everybody up more?  If it's off the first page the likelyhood of it coming back without a good reason is pretty much nil.  And if a thread does persist for a long time, who cares?  Does Jiveware blow up after reaching the 10th page?

I think Spock must be running these Adobe/Jiveware forums, it works sooooo logically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently the archiving was part of a test. It has been switched off, so future contet of this forum should not be archived. I think it is unlikely that content that is currently archived is going to magically un-archive itself, so I suggest you start a new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

Apparently the archiving was part of a test. It has been switched off, so future contet of this forum should not be archived. I think it is unlikely that content that is currently archived is going to magically un-archive itself, so I suggest you start a new thread.

You are surely joking; it would be insane to perform a large scale test on any working forum, and even more so if the test has the slightest probability of producing any irreversible change. If it had invalidated everyone's password, would you suggest we all register again under new names?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unbelievable!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

Unfortunately, some of those threads hold invaluable information, insight, and knowledge, all contained in a context that enhances the meaning, significance, and comprehensibility. Quite impossible to redo, except by copying, post by post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2009 Aug 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, you don't understand. The locking of all threads more than a month old was the unfortunate and unexpected result of some tests. Nobody's fault, really. And a real pity that it cannot be undone, although some may think that it helps with their task. But don't worry: future contents of this forum should not be archived, although this seems to remind me of a promise that threads would not be archived or deleted in these new forums.

So, if you want what may seem to you to be invaluable information to become easily available again, you'd better stop complaining and start copying and pasting instead. Be careful, though, not to repost it without adding new information, or it will be dutifully locked again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

The locking of all threads more than a month old was the unfortunate and unexpected result of some tests. Nobody's fault, really. And a real pity that it cannot be undone

Of course it can be undone. All Adobe needs to do is give me the root password.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must be much dumber than usual, for I fail to see the slightest hint of this possibility in your previous message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I've noticed about Jochem, is that he's incredibly precise

in his words. When he says "unlikely" he means exactly that...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I think it is unlikely that content that is currently archived is going to magically un-archive itself, so I suggest you start a new thread."

I would think it is not only unlikely, but also impossible, for archived material to magically un-archive itself. This, followed by a suggestion to start a new thread instead of waiting for this unlikely event to happen, does in no way hint at the existence of an easy non magical solution to the problem. At least, not to this non native English speaker, although it may do so to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe, but "this is not something moderators can configure or 

overrule" does seem to indicate that it is possible. But we are

splitting hairs here...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 20, 2009 Aug 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this has more to do with Adobe hiding information so more people call and pay for tech support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But this only applies to the Forum Comments forum. So are you saying it is possible to get paid tech support for these forums from Adobe? What is the phone number?

How about: yes, it can be done, but Jive would have to be contracted to manually fix it directly in the database, which would require a work order being written and a PO approved, which is a process that is measured in weeks if you are lucky and years if you are not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the "root password" I suspect may allow him to foul up or even delete these Jived up forums (please, God, make this happen!!! ), I think that's why it's not given out.

p.s. If you do delete these jived forums, reinstall WebX for us too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yikes!!

Actually, look at the bright side. Least all the customer service complaints about customer service, during that period, went away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The replies from the moderators in this thread verge on the surreal! I have never, ever seen such fancy side-stepping, ducking of issues, half promises and inferences all wrapped in a complete but drifting coat of vapour.

Jive = Joke

Adobe = ?!

Let's not get into details, shall we?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JayJhabrix wrote:

Let's not get into details, shall we?

Indeed. We have all dealt with enterpise bureaucracy before, so what's the point in elaborating?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well if that's the case and apparently Adobe has suddenly morphed into the US Fed Gov that can't get anything done without years of "work", it's only a matter of time before some competitor gets a whiff of the rotting flesh and wipes them out.  It's kinda sad, really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines