The plural of "forum" is...

Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2009 Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FORA

since it's a Latin word.

Adobe, please note!

Sorry to be pedantic, but that's the English language for you.

By the way, I like these new fora. Clean, modern and easy to use.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your message is quaintly comical since you quote Latin and tell us "that's English".

The Oxford English Dictionary give forums as the first plural and fora as secondary.

C'est la vie!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm normally a stickler for proper grammar and usage, especially concerning words with Latin roots. But using the word "fora" to refer to multiple online forums smacks of pretentiousness. "Forums" in the plural has become the accepted term throughout the industry. Whenever I see someone write "fora," the first thought that comes to mind is Egghead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brutus_Maximus wrote:

the first thought that comes to mind is Egghead.

BM

Do take a look at the shape of the head currently showing in your avatar. (Man, this will look like a really dumb message if you go change your avatar now.)

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please forgieve this non native English speaker for butting in this discussion, which isn't by far new in these forums/fora.

English is a living language and, as such, always evolving. As John has already noted, there are quite reputable dictionaries that accept "forums" as the proper plural of "forum". To me, this indicates that normal usage has incorporated "forum" as a proper English word of Latin origin, and therefore the word follows the normal English rules for forming plurals.

Incidentally, the cases of "data" (plural of "datum") and "media" (plural of "medium") show that things can be more complicated. I wonder how many people would say "This is the only datum I have" or "The Internet is the fastest growing medium of them all".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines