• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This Forum is pathetic, when do we get the old one back?

May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the title sums it up.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , May 11, 2009 May 11, 2009

Chris, rather than coming back here and posting my top 10 problems with the forums that still haven't been fixed, I've just stayed away for a week or two at a time, where I used to come to the forums virtually every evening.  I'll spend 20 minutes in the General Forums to see what's been done to fix the problems (mostly nothing, as far as I can see) and then a few minutes in the Photoshop Windows forum, but the forum is unusable for anything but asking a simple question and getting a simple answ

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

There is no need to rehash the complaints.  The only people who haven't been paying attention are the ones rehashing the complaints.

<snipped>

Please, stop acting like whining children.

Jive A$$ Idiot – Revisited

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cezkay wrote:

Chris Cox wrote:

There is no need to rehash the complaints.  The only people who haven't been paying attention are the ones rehashing the complaints.

<snipped>

Please, stop acting like whining children.

Jive A$$ Idiot – Revisited

And Cezkay, you are not helping to keep the discussion at a rational level either...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<obvious>cut your losses, roll the heads that need to roll and bring back web crossing.</obvious>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2009 May 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

And Cezkay, you are not helping to keep the discussion at a rational level either...

Claudio, i'm not attempting to. This whole thing has gone, not just from the sublime to the ridiculous, but far beyond. And when you see the attitude of Adobe employees themselves, it's not hard to see why.

I feel, if they don't have something positive to say then they shouldn't say it. John C, for instance, is positive. The two who posted in this thread are not. They are supercilious and arrogant. In short, they're symptomatic of Adobe's current attitude. And all i can say, at the risk of being clichetic, is pride comes before a fall.

Cez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 11, 2009 May 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, rather than coming back here and posting my top 10 problems with the forums that still haven't been fixed, I've just stayed away for a week or two at a time, where I used to come to the forums virtually every evening.  I'll spend 20 minutes in the General Forums to see what's been done to fix the problems (mostly nothing, as far as I can see) and then a few minutes in the Photoshop Windows forum, but the forum is unusable for anything but asking a simple question and getting a simple answer (if there is one).  I won't wade through a 100-post topic to see where I last left off reading it.  So I don't stay involved in the long topics where interesting issues got sorted out.  It's too painful.  As a result, there is little of interest to me (that I can locate quickly and get back in-topic) on that forum.  And on the Lightroom forum, forget it.  So I'm mostly gone.

As a side issue, I note that the U-2-U forums were created as a way of supplementing expensive telephone help.  Perhaps Adobe is hoping to gin up more revenue in hard times by making the forums a less viable alternative for anything beyond the "delete preferences" or "move the pen away from the tablet" response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 12, 2009 May 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael D Sullivan wrote:

So I'm mostly gone.

Sorry to hear that Michael – you were a most useful member of the "old gang".

While others have been busy complaining, I have tried to adapt to this uncomfortable new environment and have largely succeeded.

I have stuck to the format as served up by Jive, since using the ingenious members' scripts to clean up the interface (which sorely needs uncluttering!) does not speed up my response time.

It certainly can be difficult to find out where you were in a long thread if you don't check it regularly and I am sure that feature has lost us a lot of valuable contributors. Sadly there are a lot of names I don't see any more!

I try and look on the positive side – while I would go back to the old forums in a flash (well without Flash actually ) – there are actually some positive advantages to this format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

using the ingenious members' scripts to clean up the interface (which sorely needs uncluttering!) does not speed up my response time.

While that is largely true, the cleaned up interface is most welcome, and it certainly does not hurt performance in the least.

I've timed it with a stop watch, and my rudimentary experiments reveal that I am in fact gaining about two seconds as opposed to the standard Jive mess.  I was pleasantly surprised by that.

The cosmetic enhancements are like night and day.

Unfortunately, many of the most helpful, valuable and knowledgeable contributors have not returned.

I can say with absolute certainty that I have not learned a single thing here since April 4, 2009.  Not a thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

I can say with absolute certainty that I have not learned a single thing here since April 4, 2009.  Not a thing.

Same here.

For me, Adobe has destroyed the wonderful community spirit and learning space which used to be found here before Jive.

The depth and breadth and frequency of posts has greatly diminished.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Very good point. That is the primary reason I use technical and user-to-user newsgroups (and now this Web forum.) I learn by helping others learn - and by simply reading many questions/answers that I would not have thought to ask. This last is an arduous task with the Jive system. I probably couldn't do it at all if I wasn't semi-retired.

I cannot honestly say that I have learned nothing since the change over, but my learnin' pace from the Adobe resources has slowed to a crawl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing any real difference in content.

Most of the questions are the same-old-same-old.  Every once in a while someone posts a new problem/conflict/issue.  And once in a great while someone posts tips or pointers to something useful.

Yes, I think it would run smoother with improved performance, fewer bugs, and maybe fewer unnecessary frills.  But so far the content seems just like the old forums.  (with a few changes in faces/names)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

<snipped>

Yes, I think it would run smoother with improved performance, fewer bugs, and maybe fewer unnecessary frills.  But so far the content seems just like the old forums.  (with a few changes in faces/names)

Few changes in faces/names????

Jive ACE! BTW are Bananas in season?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Most of the questions are the same-old-same-old.

Hmmm…  If what you wrote is true—and I have absolutely no reason to doubt you—perhaps I should have stopped visiting the forums a long time ago.  

I do remember a time when I would learn a lot both by just answering questions and by reading replies and other posts—yours prominently among them.  I just can't pint-point when this ceased to be the case.  Generally, it seems to have been on or after April 4, 2009, or that's what it feels like anyway.  Maybe that impression is incorrect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2009 May 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Most of the questions are the same-old-same-old.  Every once in a while someone posts a new problem/conflict/issue.  And once in a great while someone posts tips or pointers to something useful.

Fine Chris. That's your perspective. Listen to many others whose experience differs.

Like many others here,  I've been on the Macromedia and Adobe NNTP forums for 10+ years and there's a marked difference between the thought provoking discussions and depth of teaching and learning which used to take place in each thread compared to now on the web only forums.

Without NNTP Forums I would not have learned so much about the industry of excellent extension developers out there, some of the less obvious features of Dreamweaver and Photoshop and some simply clever solutions to problems such as CSS.

Many of the NNTP contributors to these past discussions have elected to leave the web-only Adobe Forums to the detriment of the community.

However I am reading and posting less (and learning less) simply because there is no NNTP access and I find the web interface slow, clunky to use and poorly formatted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However I am reading and posting less (and learning less) simply

because there is no NNTP access and I find the web interface slow,

clunky to use and poorly formatted.

Agreed. Using these forums without NNTP is tedious and frustrating. What is the priority of NNTP on the todo list?

Best,

Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christopher Glaeser wrote:

What is the priority of NNTP on the todo list?

My impression is that it is off the list.     Unless something changed in some recent message among the ones I skipped and marked as read, we were told that Jive Software just doesn't do NNTP, and that's why they keep trying to refine the email posting and notification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote on 2009-05-14 08:05:

Christopher Glaeser wrote :

>>

>> What is the priority of NNTP on the todo list?

My impression is that it is off the list. Unless something changed in some recent message among the ones I skipped and marked as read, we were told that Jive Software just doesn't do NNTP, and that's why they keep trying to refine the email posting and notification.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/flexcoders/message/140677 is the only

message I have seen hinting at a distant opportunity of a possible

resurrection of a NNTP interface.

Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we were told that Jive Software just doesn't do NNTP, and that's why

they keep trying to refine the email posting and notification.

Yes, we were told that, but as someone pointed out (I think Jochem),

Jive's documentation seems to indicate otherwise...

Harbs

[Edit] I wrote this response a number of hours ago, but I was not connected. I just noticed that it went after Jochem's reply...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael D Sullivan wrote:

As a side issue, I note that the U-2-U forums were created as a way of supplementing expensive telephone help.  Perhaps Adobe is hoping to gin up more revenue in hard times by making the forums a less viable alternative for anything beyond the "delete preferences" or "move the pen away from the tablet" response.

nah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buko. wrote:

Well the title sums it up.

Well, looks like never

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines