Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This forum Poorly designed for a laptop screen

May 02, 2009 May 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing fits in the screen you must scroll forever. Its bad enough on a 23 inch monitor but just unacceptable on a laptop.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I access the forum almost exclusively on a laptop. I'm not thrilled, but its workable. Yes I scroll, but since its a newish Macbook Pro, scrolling isn't a big issue, i just move my fingets along the touchpad. I can only read so much at once anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does need a little tweaking. First starting with the Dark Grey item starting welcome  and ending with black type and item Store could be typed in a smaller Point size. And if the would move the Searck box down same level as Black Forums  Box and put all the Home through Store items on same Line as the Home - Store items they could reduce the vertical space of that part. If the reduce the vertical space of the Black forums Box the could decrease the size even more.  and if they put the home/ Support item within black box beside the Fourums Title they could Compress the size.

And, if they decreased the vertical space of the window you type in by half would make even more compact. The box at the very bottom is about as small as possible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buko. wrote:

Nothing fits in the screen you must scroll forever. Its bad enough on a 23 inch monitor but just unacceptable on a laptop.

You should  try it on a netbook!

It must be even worse on a phone.

They should have a compact option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

As I said before, it doesn't even work on my lawnmower.   

Come on, guys!  Let's hope they get it to work so it's acceptable on a desktop with a decent monitor.

They can worry about phones, blackberries and cigarette lighters later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 03, 2009 May 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

I don't care either, but we are always being told by web design people that our web pages must be accessible to "devices".

But I love my netbook!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wait, i'm complaining that the forum width is too narrow (forced to use stylish to fill the screen) and you guys complain that it's too wide? how does that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zeno Bokor wrote:

you guys complain that it's too wide?

No – too deep!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the title of the thread should be changed to "This forum Porrly designed":  Too much wasted space and fixed width.

I'm not aware of a single significant change that has been made since these New and Improved forums were launch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah and I still keep getting logged out. 

I agree about the layout on a laptop.  It's annoying that it won't scale down.  I have an older laptop (I use it at work) and it's only got a 12 inch screen.  I don't mind scrolling up/down, but scrolling left/right is a web design no-no. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and the FCA page refresh didn't even notice my last post!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought when  designing web pages you were not supposed to specify a specific width or height. at all so that the content would size itself according to the User's Screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are different schools of thought on that.

Regarding Width:

With many CSS based websites, it's easier to design to a specific width to ensure that your content displays the way you want it to.  If you want it to scale to different sizes, you can set up a percentage of the window and it will scale accordingly.

Regarding Height:

Most sites don't put in a maximum height requirement, they can however put in a minimum height, to keep the site uniform.  Some get around that by adding a character return (<br> break element) or two, in order to create the page in a consistent height.

The general thought is that you allow for up/down scrolling, but don't make the user scroll left/right to read your content... they might not bother!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

while I admit my website  is not up to pro standards (people here have laughed at it here, but it does what I want), I try as much as possible to avoid to use any height or width settings so that the site look approximately the same whether your on a 12" wide Laptop, or you have a 24" by 24" Computer Monitor. I don't use any fixed point sizes The only thing I worry about is picture sizes.

And I try to center everything so there is equal amount space on both sides I hate worth a Pasion sites that everything justfifed left with half a screen of backround space.

But being left justified seems to be the normal setup with web design applications and, people just rather not be bothered. so you end up witha third of screen of content then two thirds white space. Then you have to scroll a mile down. when if the center everthing and left everything float. most page you could get everything on just one screen with no scrolling up or down or side to side unless you have a lot of content. Now as to PDF pages, that different they are set according to page setup used to create the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

Glad I have made you clap

As I said most of the pros here, laugh at my site but it does what I wish. But atleast If I have it setup right, (I think I have) thereshould not any  mousing side to side. and very little up and down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

As I said most of the pros here, laugh at my site but it does what I wish.

Yes. Many, many, many times over all the while posting from your SeaMonkey browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PJ:   some friendly advice – if you posted less, you would get ridiculed less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

PJ:   some friendly advice – if you posted less, you would get ridiculed less.

I suppose, you and Graf, and others don't post frequently either.

Here I was intending to do  a one or two shot deal here. And here I am being made fun of again. You do know if your not interested in my post you can just scroll by or ignore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK – carry on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said most of the pros here, laugh at my site but it does what I wish

it has nothing to do with your site. it has to do with the jumbles of words you thow at the screen occasionally. they all seem to be real words, i'm just not sure i've ever seen them used together in actual sentences like that before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I admit typing skill are not great and I have a problem with  Proofreading. I can proofread several times, read back to myself and it looks and sounds right.

Yet when posted I've almost always got something either spelled wrong use the wrong version of a word (use a word that's pronounced the same but has a different meaning) and so on.

Some times even the spell checker shows as spelled correct.

I try to do the best I can. But it doesn't always show that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We know you're trying PJ!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 04, 2009 May 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 04, 2009 May 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave you're looking well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines