• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This point system is so stupid when is it going to go?

Jun 02, 2009 Jun 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

posted in the InDesign forum.

Sorry folks, but word has come down from above that abuse of the point system is counter-productive. There are management types that actually believe some users see points as an incentive to provide a quality answer, and that they wouldn't do so without the points, but that's not a widely held opinion among hosts. Nevertheless, I have to lock the thread, and warn you that at some point there will be official sanctions for those who post threads with the sole purpose of gaming the point system.

If they don't want the point system abused then we need to do away with it. This forum is becoming less and less a place I want to help at. I think I will start looking for another Photoshop forum.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point system is only being gamed by the people who are earning points legitimately anyhow.

Good things about the new forum:

• Image uploads.
  • It's called my attention to the Forum Comments forum.

I think that's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if they don't want to spend the time punishing people for gaming the system, do away with the system.

What management thinks ultimately doesn't matter.  If they are decent managers with all the information, they'll realize that points aren't really doing a Jiving thing to help out here, and that they weren't needed to begin with.  And they'll realize that what they think is not relevant--it's what WE, the customers, think that matters!!!  If Adobe management doesn't realize that, they'd better start learning it quick.

Stop trying to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place. People got plenty of help before the stupid point system was added. The forums have more than likely reduced the answers people get, and "points" are not balancing that out.

Now, to find ways around their regulation. (That's the flaw with regulations, see!) They never said anything about posting legitimate topics and awarding the points to the least helpful or just random answers.

Jive Adobe management! Jive them all!!! (Sorry for foul language but it's deserved.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I swear, if I see one more Jiving post where someone says "please mark this as the answer if it helps" or anything of the sort, I am going to haxxorz this forum and bring it down for good!!!!!

Er, I meant to say, I wouldn't ever do such a thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

And I swear, if I see one more Jiving post where someone says "please mark this as the answer if it helps", I am going to haxxorz this forum and bring it down for good!!!!!

Please mark this as the answer if it helps. Thank you.

JJ

PS: Or else, even if it doesn't help, please give me points. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm, Dave gets the fu*king points in this post. Anything else would be abuse of the point system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe didn't add the points system – it came in the package they bought.

Not quite - Zeno (I think) explained that the points system had been running in Adobe's Community Help for some time, and they specifically wanted to extend it to the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hosts have been trying for years to ban a foul-mouthed and abusive poster without success, since he just makes a new ID each time. I wonder if they are going to send the boys round this time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 03, 2009 Jun 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

Hosts have been trying for years to ban a foul-mouthed and abusive poster without success, since he just makes a new ID each time. I wonder if they are going to send the boys round this time?

They could do that banning  iany contact from emailaddress and even the host by doing a reverse look up in headers when they tried to create a new identity. The technology is available now that wasn't years back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Phillip. He moves around, probably uses computers in libraries or other people's houses, sets up new email addresses all the time - trust me, hosts have tried everything they can think of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if that weren't the case, there's always anon proxy servers. Which, if I am banned for "gaming the !@#$ing points system", I will be making good use of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll be waiting for the knock on the door in the early hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JayJhabrix wrote:

Ansury wrote:

And I swear, if I see one more Jiving post where someone says "please mark this as the answer if it helps", I am going to haxxorz this forum and bring it down for good!!!!!

Please mark this as the answer if it helps. Thank you.

JJ

PS: Or else, even if it doesn't help, please give me points. Thank you.

Oh, you're soooo Jived now! These forums are totally going get get haxxored...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just don't get it do you?

Adobe didn't add the points system – it came in the package they bought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay mommy and daddy, I will not complain about it from now on!

No, I will continue to complain for as long as the topic lives on in threads, and as for as long as other users are wasting my time making me read posts about "marking questions answered" or "marking helpful" or creating new threads, or whatever.  All the forum nannies can complain, but I'm going to call stuff bull$t when I see it anyway.

Of course we know it came built into this crap. So Adobe's options are:

1) Disable or hide it in some way (if this piece of crap can disable it)

2) Bring back WebX

3) Switch to superior forums, and resolve all the other problems in the process

4) Make Jive provide a customized version that doesn't include it (please no, don't pick this one)

5) Upgrade to a newer version, if there's a newer version that allows it to be disabled

6) Continue to have people complain about it and continue to have people bothering customers to "credit their hard work" by marking posts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

Of course we know it came built into this crap. So Adobe's options are:

1) Disable or hide it in some way (if this piece of crap can disable it)

It has to be easy to hide it on their end, as I've totally obliterated all traces of it on my end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to open a new thread to repeat the same things that have already been said in the other. You, and others engaged in the same game, don't seem to realize that beligerant attitudes and language are only annoying to fellow users, not to Adobe. These forums are NOT a way of addressing Adobe, remember? And even less a way of addressing Jive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for sits and giggles; can someone enlighten us on "official sanctions". I've seen some pretty balls-out behavior around here and never any evidence of a sanction. Closing a thread? Stop or I'll say stop again. I think management types or not there's some serious disconnect going on and has been for the over two years I've been here. How about mopping up some of the behavioral problems and see if that increases the "quality" of answers. It will certainly make a positive change to the atmosphere here. More than any bell or trinkle.

I'll say it again: when the owner doesn't clean up the dog mess in the middle of the floor, it's only a matter of time before lazy messes like me start using the rug as well. I, for one, was bred that way. Woof!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reposted.

"official sanctions"? like what the h$ll do they think they can do? you can't lock out people making death threats and you think you're going to f@k people over for gaming the f@ing points system?!!

YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT THE SAME PEOPLE WHO HAVE HELPED ADOBE FOR FREE WITH THEIR TIME AND EXPERTISE FOR YEARS!!!

want to talk about "official" sanctions? look what "officially" happens even to BIG companies who continue to fu000111 disregard the wishes of their clients  and customers...

google: circuit city bankruptcy

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&num=50&q=circuit+city+bankruptcy&aq=0&oq=circuit+city+ban&aqi=g10

(Results 1 - 50 of about 748,000 for circuit city bankruptcy.  )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buko. wrote:

posted in the InDesign forum.

Sorry folks, but word has come down from above that abuse of the point system is counter-productive. There are management types that actually believe some users see points as an incentive to provide a quality answer, and that they wouldn't do so without the points, but that's not a widely held opinion among hosts. Nevertheless, I have to lock the thread, and warn you that at some point there will be official sanctions for those who post threads with the sole purpose of gaming the point system.

If they don't want the point system abused then we need to do away with it. This forum is becoming less and less a place I want to help at. I think I will start looking for another Photoshop forum.

What the hell is going on at Adobe?  Should we all cower in a dark corner lest we get sent to our rooms?

I get the feeling that The Suits couldn't care less what goes on here.  I'll also bet The Decision Makers don't frequent these forums.

This is ABSURD!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They've never read the Gandhi quote:

This is a genuine, well-known quote by Mahatma Gandhi, the Indian spiritual leader and activist:

• A customer is the most important visitor on our premises, he is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him.

• He is not an interruption in our work. He is the purpose of it.

• He is not an outsider in our business. He is part of it.

• We are not doing him a favor by serving him.     He is doing us a favor by giving us an opportunity to do so.

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:QU-_-MGLrrqQhM:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/Gandhi_costume.jpg

Employees of any entity, whether in government or in private business, will do well to keep it in mind and at heart.

The recent post by Kathy Nguyen, universally well received here, shows that she knows this principle and puts it into practice.

However, a few Adobe staff and associates seem somehow to think that Adobe's customers are lowly adversaries in some sort of Internet game or in a newsgroup.  Those who manifest that misguided and poisonous attitude in this forum and in their blogs are showing their incompetence and their ignorance of basic business principles.  To them I say:  you're dead wrong!  You are far from being our superiors, you are our servants.

They should know well who they are—and we certainly do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Making money has resulted in a atmosphere of arrogance and greed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

um, you did you know that even threats of hacks could lead to real trouble with law enforcement, right? not something to joke about with a corporation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

um, you did you know that even threats of hacks could lead to real trouble with law enforcement, right? not something to joke about with a corporation.

He's all right. They can't touch you if you're under age. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines