• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tip: How to setup a decent working environment

Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2009 Apr 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was playing around with the Your View setting of the homepage (which doesn't seem to open as default, unfortunately), and I thought what I came up with might be useful to other (frustrated) users... If you have a different setup, you can post it here as well.  I choose the 3-column layout because it seems to minimize the huge font that is used in any of the 2-columns options. Since I follow mostly certain forums (as I'm sure most others do as well), and there doesn't seem to be any way of creating a "favorites" list, I've added the RSS feeds from my forums of interest into my customized home-page, as well as my private messages box and the list of all forums. It looks something like this. (I hope the image is clear, in the preview it looks quite small).

AdobeForum.jpg

As you can see, I'm losing about a quarter of the screen due to this wonderful grey bar that's stuck there. It would have been nice to be able to use that space for some more boxes, but I guess that's expecting too much at this point...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try67 wrote:

I was playing around with the Your View setting of the homepage (which doesn't seem to open as default, unfortunately), and I thought what I came up with might be useful to other (frustrated) users... If you have a different setup, you can post it here as well.  I choose the 3-column layout because it seems to minimize the huge font that is used in any of the 2-columns options. Since I follow mostly certain forums (as I'm sure most others do as well), and there doesn't seem to be any way of creating a "favorites" list, I've added the RSS feeds from my forums of interest into my customized home-page, as well as my private messages box and the list of all forums. It looks something like this. (I hope the image is clear, in the preview it looks quite small).

As you can see, I'm losing about a quarter of the screen due to this wonderful grey bar that's stuck there. It would have been nice to be able to use that space for some more boxes, but I guess that's expecting too much at this point...

Nice! Thanks for sharing that. I've got mine set up as well, but much simplified. Mostly just to have links to the forums I frequent. People are going to really like it as they discover it and learn to set it up to suit their own workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for pointing out the column layout item - I missed that when setting up my page. I've seen a couple of posts suggesting using the HTML widget to create links, so I went with that method rather than RSS feeds. I even set a couple of my most used links to stay highlighted with underlines and a different color. To do it, drag that HTML widget down, and click the Edit button.

Adobe_Forums-Your_Homepage.png

And here is a snippet of the code I used:

<ul>
  <li><a href="http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments" style="text-decoration:underline; color:#ff0000;">Forum Comments</a></li>
  <li><a href="http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/adobedotcom_feedback">Adobe Feedback</a></li>
  <li><a href="http://forums.adobe.com/community/dreamweaver">Dreamweaver Forums</a>
    <ul>
      <li><a href="http://forums.adobe.com/community/dreamweaver/dreamweaver_general" style="text-decoration:underline; color:#0077ff;">Dreamweaver General</li>
      <li><a href="http://forums.adobe.com/community/dreamweaver/dreamweaver_development">Dreamweaver Appdev</li>
      <li><a href="http://forums.adobe.com/community/dreamweaver/dreamweaver_dynamic_html">Dreamweaver Dynamic HTML</li>
    </ul>
  </li>
</ul>

And, of course, when I have the Stylish user style sheet applied, I get the full width of the browser window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2009 Apr 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark, thanks for the tip about the HTML links. I've created my own "Quick Links" box, and it's quite handy. What do you mean by "when I have the Stylish user style sheet applied, I get the full width of the browser window"? Are you able to use that right-hand side quarter of the screen? How?  I've also noticed that the RSS feeds are very flaky and tend not to work all the time. Also, it doesn't seem to be possible to enter your username/pass into an RSS feed and see which threads were updated since you read them. You can just get the last X threads that were updated in general. Shame...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had created a user style sheet (not a script) that allows the posts to have flexible width rather than a fixed width. Eric improved it and supplied a link to a FireFox add-on that makes it REALLY easy to use. He also supplied some variations on a page set up for that purpose. If you have FireFox, this method can't be beat.

Here's a message that summarizes it and includes the links to get the FF-only add-on and Eric's style sheets.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1880920#1880920

The last two links apply, although since Eric has added more style sheets, this link will show them.

http://userstyles.org/styles/search/jive

If you are using IE, then I can help set one up there. If you are using Safari, then I can help, but apparently it doesn't work with a particular version of Safari running on a particular version of OS X (sorry, I don't recall which was the non-functioning combination).

The one I created and use most often is a drab grey in color (I call it "Tired Eyes" - I don't like staring at a bright white light all day), and I have a variation of that which hides the avatars.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the stylish method for SeaMonkey. But for some strange reason I had to reinstall stylish before the script would work  when I went from SM 1.1.15 to 1.1.16 for Macintosh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was playing around with the Your View setting of the homepage

Just how does one get there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like so...

Snap1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 13, 2009 Apr 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try67, it's very amusing to me that we both arrived at an identical layout scheme independently.

As you can see, I'm losing about a quarter of the screen due to this
wonderful grey bar that's stuck there. It would have been nice to be
able to use that space for some more boxes, but I guess that's
expecting too much at this point...

If you are using Firefox, you can try out my Stylish and/or Greasemonkey hacks to further customize the look of the forums.

These work with either the Stylish plugin or the GreaseMonkey plugin. The very first one will make the site full browser window width.

http://userstyles.org/users/21328

This one only works with GreaseMonkey and makes the right-hand sidebar hidable throughout most of the website.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/46297

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers for the Stylish hacks. It's a real improvement...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I posted a question about the broken email notications threading problem in the mozilla.support.Seamonkey newsgroup. The person who answered after I explaine the problem (goes by the moniker Purple Hippo) suggest to have a chat with the stylish people that they could come up with something licky Split.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines