• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to edit comments in this forum

Participant ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the forum for the forum? Ha. Not sure where to post this but this is the forum I use most.

When I try to edit my comments, I click "More" but it opens blank:

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 11.38.12 AM.png

I don't see any other way to edit comments. Is this a known bug? (Note, I do have ad-blockers in Chrome, but this happens both in normal and incognito mode)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Moving your thread to Using the Community.

Only users that have achieved a certain rank are able to edit their own posts. Despite being a user for a number of years, your activity hasn't reached the threshold for the ranking required to be able to edit posts. It's a combination of tenure, likes, posts, and replies. Can't share the exact number, but keep participating and you'll soon be able to!

The fact that the "...More" button is showing to all of you is indeed a bug, though. The team is aware o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why this happens occassionaly either. I've just edited some of my own comments so I know editing works sometimes. But in the past I have seen the exact same issue as you show. I'm guessing it's a bug, but curious if anyone else has thoughts.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving your thread to Using the Community.

Only users that have achieved a certain rank are able to edit their own posts. Despite being a user for a number of years, your activity hasn't reached the threshold for the ranking required to be able to edit posts. It's a combination of tenure, likes, posts, and replies. Can't share the exact number, but keep participating and you'll soon be able to!

The fact that the "...More" button is showing to all of you is indeed a bug, though. The team is aware of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

«Only users that have achieved a certain rank are able to edit their own posts»

what is the rationale behind this (decision|feature)?

I remember my own learning curve to create a useful post - and I still often forget spell checking or correcting the misbehaving autocorrection oc this iPad..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*It's possible to "REPLY" to your own posts with clarifications or addendums to the original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is the rationale behind this (decision|feature)?

By @K.Daube

Moderators that deal with spam and abuse among other things, most often than not need to edit content to remove the offense. Because the option to edit their own posts was allowed to anyone at the time, these users would then go and add their offense back into the post that had been edited by a moderator.
This made it impossible for us to work, so the decision was taken to only allow users that have a certain rank in the community to do so. After inspection, most of the users that were editing the moderator's edits were new to the community, or not too high on the ranks.

Until you're able to do this again, as Ko said, if you ever want to add more to a post you can always reply to it. If by mistake you've added private information and wish to edit it out, you can use the Report button and a moderator will take care of it for you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I started on a different account a few months ago with a different I account and I could, how come I was able to then? It was helpful for fixing typos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or when I want to add something that I think of later, like saying "Please Silvia, see if you cant convince your department to change this." or "Dan Rodney is a Adobe Community Professional and he still cant do it, how long does it take?!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can edit my posts, and the time I remember it didn't worked was actually when I was accidently signed in with a different account that had never posted before. So now this makes sense as to why I saw it that time. It didn't affect this account.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I started on a different account a few months ago with a different I account and I could, how come I was able to then?

By @John Br

See the reply above here. It's possible that your previous account had a higher rank, or that it was a while ago. This change was made a few months back, at some point last year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...So the option to simply edit your post doesn't exist? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @Sil.C said above, you have to achieve a certain ranking before you are allowed to edit your posts. If you need to add or correct information before then, use Reply to add a new post. If you need personal information removed, use Report and a moderator will take care of it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Naturally of course, imagine all the evil we could do if we were allowed to edit our own posts quickly. Mayhem would ensue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's basically to guard against trolls, abusive posters, or scammers and spammers who show up for a post or two trying to get people to click (possibly malicious) links or selling a product unrelated to Adobe products.

We could just delete the links, but if everyone could edit their posts, the scammer/spammer could too and could put the links back in. We don't have time or enough volunteers to keep a lid on that sort of thing. 

It also prevents people who are, shall we say, a bit immoderate in their modes of expression? going back and putting in the language we removed. Or if someone has shared private information, which Adobe really prefers you not do for identity protection reasons, they can't put that back if it's been removed.

The theory is that if you've been here and active a while, you've shown that you're not a troll, abusive, a scammer, or a spammer. Meantime, we keep things a little calmer at the cost of some inconvenience.

Not a perfect system, but nothing ever is, and this works for keeping the forums "family friendly".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All has been said by @Sil.C ! https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/unable-to-edit-comments-in-this-forum/m-p/1185885...

I'm really sorry for all of those people who have to suffer because of a few.

BTW: I do not know the magic formula, but my professional account who does post only rarely can edit his posts, so the level of competence can't be that high. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

guilty until proven innocent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't say it like this. It's more that, like in real life, you need a certain level to do certain things. For the rest: https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/unable-to-edit-comments-in-this-forum/m-p/1221360...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's "solution" to prevent spamming/abuse by disabling the ability to modify (even delete) your own post has to be one of the most bizarre approaches to a problem I've seen.

A simple solution off the top of my head (if the problem is really that severe) is to only allow these basic features if the users account is tied to a paid subscription to one of their products.

The way it is now, if you type a post with a typo or some misleading error, it is permanent. Can Adobe not just draw inspiration from how every other forum on th interne is run?

* Need to check this post now with a fine-tooth comb. This post will now be set in stone... 🤦‍:male_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other boards I'm on set a timer after which you can't make further edits. It's possible Khorus doesn't provide that capability, though.

No one knows why this software was chosen. It's been something of a disaster from the start, although it is far, far better now than when we first started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is always room to improve, but currently, I think there are more urgent tasks to concentrate on. As @LinSims said: it's not the solution we all expected. We all have to live with it, and it's getting hell better from release to release. If you need a correction, find a moderator. If you don't know one, ask an Adobe Creative Professional. Chances are that he or she is, if not the ACP will find a moderator. Moderators can apply corrections to 3rd party posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its the newbies thar are more likely to think of what they wanted to say after they post, or have something extra to ask.

I have never in all my years of the internet come across a forum where editing 'Ist Verboten' unless you are an advanced user, when you may not need much help anyway !

banned editing is simply wrong, come on Adobe catch up its 2021 .

There needs to be a red warning in that case, compile post and attachments beforehand, THERE IS NO EDITING POST. they wont do that though as its flagging up their inadequacy here.

Perhaps someone post that as a subject title in bold and we all keep bumping it to the top.

Merlin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Newbes on the fora may be very experienced users of Adobe software, so that's not a criteria. When I started using the forum, I was quite well experienced and needed hints on more advanced topics.

As I said above, the entry level for being able to edit your posts is not very high. But it saves some moderator time as moderators do not need to jump in and edit posts again and again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines