• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

(Updated) – what exactly does it imply / mean?

Engaged ,
May 05, 2009 May 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay... no wise a$$ ones , i know what 'Updated' means!

What i meant was in the listing, some topics have an "(Updated)" and some don't.So why does that happen? Does it imply that a previous post has been edited?

JJ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 10, 2009 May 10, 2009

It makes no difference whether you have opened the thread previously or posted in the thread.

Unless you Mark all as read, threads never visited just move to the top without being tagged as Updated, so they are only marked if you fake a visit

In any case, it does not matter whether you post or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated just means that more posts have been added since your last visit to the thread. Threads that don't have it either means there are no new posts, or that you've never visited the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question.

At first I "assumed" that it meant there were new posts since your last viewing of the thread but, that isn't the case.

Maybe it only shows up if there are new posts in threads that you have posted in? Dunno. Haven't checked that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~graffiti wrote:

Good question.

At first I "assumed" that it meant there were new posts since your last viewing of the thread but, that isn't the case.

That is absolutely the case in my experience.  Consistently.   You don't have to have posted in the particular thread.

One thing that appears to work here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason it seems to malfunction occasionally in this forum.

Maybe because, in the nature of things, there are more people in here complaining than there are people posting questions in the main forums!

Afternote: Notice that there are more "Sad" and "Angry" emoticons in here than any others?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't seen this malfunction, what happens - an updated message when there's nothing new or vice versa?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was referring to the situation where you see (updated) and when you click on Last Post, you get something which is not updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, OK. I don't think I've seen that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

I was referring to the situation where you see (updated) and when you click on Last Post, you get something which is not updated.

Two possibilities come to mind... if a post is edited, it might pop up an updated marker, or if a post was added and deleted for some reason, it might also add the updated marker, and not remove it with the delete. Haven't tested either possibility, but could image either or both could cause it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 09, 2009 May 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok... have been attempting to observe this over the last few days...

The answer seems to be as follows:

"(Updated)" appears whenever a thread has had any changes made to it since you last visited that forum. It makes no difference whether you have opened the thread previously or posted in the thread.

The purpose of this seems to be to inform you that though you have or haven't checked out the thread, there have been updates since your last visit. As i mark all threads read on exiting the forum i have not been able to verify if "(Updated)" vanishes on static threads on a subsequent visit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 10, 2009 May 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it doesn't vanish. Some weirdness though about 'updated' appearing on a few threads in a previously-unvisited forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

No, it doesn't vanish.

Yup... you're right... my God Kath... you're really on a roll today!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It makes no difference whether you have opened the thread previously or posted in the thread.

Unless you Mark all as read, threads never visited just move to the top without being tagged as Updated, so they are only marked if you fake a visit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 13, 2009 May 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Well... i've been keeping quiet and watching... and this seems to be the correct explanation for the Updated behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines