Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrade Eligibility

Jan 06, 2012 Jan 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The company I work for has dozens of licenses of adobe CS3 software. We are getting ready to upgrade to CS5.5 before CS6 is released so that we don't lose the upgradeability. I know as of now, you can upgrade if the license is up to 3 back. One of my colleagues just told me he got off the phone with one of our CDW account managers who handles the purchases for us. He said the CDW rep told him that after CS6 is released, Adobe is changing their upgrade eligibility policies that will only allow upgrade pricing for the last version. Is this true?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some time ago, I opened this thread on this:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/939770?tstart=0

As you can see, it seems there was not much interest on the subject, but perhaps the link I gave may help you to clarify your doubts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pletcgm wrote:

The company I work for has dozens of licenses of adobe CS3 software. We are getting ready to upgrade to CS5.5 before CS6 is released so that we don't lose the upgradeability. I know as of now, you can upgrade if the license is up to 3 back. One of my colleagues just told me he got off the phone with one of our CDW account managers who handles the purchases for us. He said the CDW rep told him that after CS6 is released, Adobe is changing their upgrade eligibility policies that will only allow upgrade pricing for the last version. Is this true?

In fact if you do the math, you will find that upgrades are no better deals than the full versions taking account of the hassle to have old versions pre-installed on the system before the upgrade DVDs would install the new versions.

I prefer to buy full versions but I guess I don't buy all the new versions.  I continue using my existing versions until I feel that there are things I can't do in that version.  In your case CS3 is very old so if you wait for a few months, you can buy CS6 full version.  In the meantime, you can play with beta software or even existing trial versions.

This is my philosophy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>hassle to have old versions pre-installed on the system before the upgrade DVDs would install

As far as I know, all modern Adobe software does NOT require a pre-installed earlier version... only the earlier version's serial number you enter when asked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2012 Jan 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John T Smith wrote:

As far as I know, all modern Adobe software does NOT require a pre-installed earlier version... only the earlier version's serial number you enter when asked

Correct.

That's how I've upgraded my Adobe software for several years - insert the new version upgrade disc (even on a new machine with no Adobe software previously installed), enter a qualifying previous version serial number when prompted by the installer then let the installer continue installing the new version.

As Tai Lao says, all Adobe discs contain full version code anyway. It's the serial number which distinguishes Full from Upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALL Adobe software installers are FULL versions, even when labeled "upgrade".  If they don't find a previous version installed off of which they can read the previous serial number, the installers will prompt you for the old serial number as well as the new one.

Not a single Adobe upgrade installer takes into account the previous installed version(s) other than for the purpose of reading the serial number for the convenience of the user.  That's all.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2012 Jan 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pletcgm wrote:

He said the CDW rep told him that after CS6 is released, Adobe is changing their upgrade eligibility policies that will only allow upgrade pricing for the last version. Is this true?

Yes, it's true and most people think Adobe's timing stinks.

http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2011/archives/22903

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good news: Adobe changed its upgrade policy for CS6, and users of CS3 and CS4 will also be able to update to CS6 at a special price, after the release, and until the 31th December 2012: http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq/upgrade-policy.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines