Usability tweaks

Advisor ,
Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a thread anywhere that contains usability tweaks for the new forum UI?

I've seen this Stylish flex-width tweak http://forums.adobe.com/thread/414809#1870916

and Ramón has mentioned liberal use of AdBlock Plus to remove clutter and whitespace.

Is there anything else that would help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Usability tweaks

Advisor ,
Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a thread anywhere that contains usability tweaks for the new forum UI?

I've seen this Stylish flex-width tweak http://forums.adobe.com/thread/414809#1870916

and Ramón has mentioned liberal use of AdBlock Plus to remove clutter and whitespace.

Is there anything else that would help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 07, 2009 0
Engaged ,
Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I may try and learn GreaseMonkey this week. I'd like to make the actions column capable of disappearing until you actually needed it.

Also, maybe replicate the bread crumbs an the "Up to Discussions ..." to the bottom of the page.

I have no idea how easy/hard that is though. One reason I like Stylish is that it was a piece of cake by comparison to what a GM script looks like!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2009 0
Participant ,
Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would take it easy on using scripts. It only takes one badly written one to impair the perfomrance of the forums, and you just might forget you're  using a script if/when that heppens. <shrug> YMMV

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2009 0
Engaged ,
Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GreaseMonkey script to allow Show/Hide of ACTIONS sidebar is up!

Instructions

1. Download & install GreaseMonkey if you haven't done so already.
  2. Get the script from userscripts.org. (Click the Install button once you're there.)
  3. That's it, you should now see a little bit of text over the Actions Sidebar that says "Show|Hide ACTIONS". Click as desired.

Caveats

• It only works with FF3.
  • You have to install GreaseMonkey to use it.
  • You can enable/disable it using the little monkey icon in the bottom right corner of the window.
  • It does remember your current state, but on some pages it can take a while to activate (it runs only after the page is fully loaded, alas.)

Hope this helps others,

Eric. (aka heavyboots)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2009 0
Engaged ,
Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2009 0
Advisor ,
Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for these, Eric. It's helping to make life without NNTP a bit more bearable.

-X

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2009 0
Contributor ,
Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BLOODY EFFIN' BEE-YOO-TEE-FOOL work on the GreaseMonkey script, Eric.

(BTW, folks...you'll have to restart Firefox after you install that script for it to work.)

Off to grab the answer bar hack.

Thanks 10 skidillion, mate!

golfclap.gifgolfclap.gifgolfclap.gif

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2009 0
Engaged ,
Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yet another one to take the first topic head from 20pt to 12pt...

Actually, it's probably easiest to just post a link to my user page.

All the Stylish hacks can be found here:

http://userstyles.org/users/21328

I'm posting one fix per script so people can pick and choose what they want and what they don't. Let me know if it gets too annoying and I can make a combined one.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2009 0
Contributor ,
Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OOPS! An apology and a correction:  I stated above that Firefox users will have to restart their browsers to have Eric's GreaseMonkey scripts fully take effect.  I was wrong. The scripts Eric has written work right away. I was basing my statement on limited experience I'd had with a couple other scripts awhile back that DID require a quit & relaunch to work.  And sorry, I don't have a clue why there would be a difference in behaviors.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2009 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm all for usability tweaks.  The problem with them is they tend to be VERY browser-centric.

It's the Jive Geniuses that need to fix what I still consider a space-wasting monstrosity.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2009 0
Engaged ,
Apr 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated Show|Hide ACTIONS sidebar to v1.01 with some prettification tweaks.

- Dynamically change text to say Show ACTIONS or Hide ACTIONS depending on current state.

- Stole paginations style from Jive next/prev so I can have left & right arrows (ie, <-Show or Hide->).

Have a nice weekend, folks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2009 0