• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using email with the forum

Guru ,
Dec 03, 2010 Dec 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone give me some advice about using email with the forums.  Is it a good thing to do?

a) Could a new thread be started with an email

b) If you post with an email, does it expose your address?

c) Is there any kind of forum help page out there?

Thanks

Martin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wish that I had some useful tips for you, but do not access via e-mail.

However, here are a few observations:

It seems that one has difficulty uploaded say an image (via the "camera" icon from e-mail

Block quotes seem to behave differently via e-mail, and usually the full post, to which one is replying is added.

Users have issues with signatures appearing with personal info when replying via e-mail.

Some service providers also add lines of text, like a sig, when replying via e-mail.

Probably more behaviors, specific to e-mail, but I cannot think of them now.

Good luck, and others will likely be able to give you a lot more feedback.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I wouldn't know how.
  2. If you don't delete the original text (with email headers).
  3. Probably not.

Email notification from the forum are not HTML formatted, but changed into text enhancements (like *bold* for strong formatting); this may render URL links unclickable or 404 (not found).

Email notifications also (of course) do not contain corrections or additions to a post.

I have completely turned off email notifications from the beginning of this forum, but I have encountered numerous problems with users that communicate only via email with this forum.

My advice: don't do it!  (Using email to communicate with the forum.)

P.S. why does this bloody forum change the list-style-type from my specified lower-alpha (a, b, c) to arabic-numbers (1,2,3)?  Spammers again - abusing list-style-type???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pwillener wrote:

I have completely turned off email notifications from the beginning of this forum, but I have encountered numerous problems with users that communicate only via email with this forum.

My advice: don't do it!  (Using email to communicate with the forum.)

I prefer to have the email notifications. I haven't used it to actually reply to messages. What I use it for is to read the messages and decide what I want to reply to. if I decided to reply to a post I click the enclosed the link to go that topic on the forum. Saves me time from hunting down topics in the web forum.

Here lately with my having to care for my mother during her recovering from fulling muscles in her Back (she's 86) its been convienent for me to read the email notifications and just reply to what I want instead of reading everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Dec 04, 2010 Dec 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The idea of being abel to reply by email sounds good.  I can see there may be differences between that and actually being their but the beneift for people who don't spend a time away from the computer may outweigh any difficulties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines