• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What a mess!

Enthusiast ,
Feb 14, 2009 Feb 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just logged in to the Lightroom Forum (again!) and was given the opportunity to also entry my Adobe ID. So, I did that. After about 5 to 10 seconds of watching the url change and change and change I got an error message saying that theurl was now back to the original page! In other words, the system was looping.

Does this junk ever get tested?

Bob Peters

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 20, 2009 Feb 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely Adobe's fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pj,
>Lost all of my iTunes music though, and some priceless iPhoto and Kodak easyshare stuff.

Almost afraid to ask: How about your backups?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I almost lost all my priceless kids photos (not backed up at the time) from a severely failing hard drive. over the course of about a week i was able to retrieve them a few at a time by removing the hard drive, plastic bagging it, FREEZING IT in the freezer, plug it in fast and start copying like crazy until it failed again! got them all back and now have several redundant backups, including multiple hard drives,internal and external and a couple of dvd copies (multi-set).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but i don't blame adobe... given the timing, i blame george w. bush. ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless a person never, ever sleeps, there's no reason to skip even one daily backup. It can be (and is) done while you sleep.

>removing the hard drive, plastic bagging it, FREEZING IT in the freezer, plug it in fast and start copying like crazy

What's the principle behind that? Sounds intriguing and interesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> What's the principle behind that? Sounds intriguing and interesting.

something to do with the hard drive platters shrinking minimally (compressing) when frozen , and slightly expanding when heated. so if there's some kind of slight mis-alignment going on you might be able to (in my case was able to) get the drive working for a short period of time - 15 mins or so in my case - to copy files off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

these files were so precious i was about to take no chances with them. i'm pretty good at recovering data from damage drives and have a couple decades doing it, but i know that as soon as you start messing with the drive for write purposes, you risk everything. i remembered this trick from way back and decided to try it as it only involved reading data and no external utils and i got VERY lucky.

if this didn't work it was off to seagate's clean room for disassembley and data retrieval at a cost of around 1000 bux (to start) and up.

the pictures were pretty much the 1st 5 or 6 years of my kids lives. :o

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was actually pretty surprised when i was able to read that first batch of files off! :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 21, 2009 Feb 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all that info, dave. I've made a note of it, just in case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely something to use as a last resort. I've had it work once for
a very thankful client.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No backups. Up till now as long as I had mac's I've never had one to melt down like this. (Hard drive to go bad. I've replaced drives due to needing large drive or to install different system. But never had a drive to go bad. And I've owned a Mac Starting with the SE/30. (the little computer withe the 9 inche CRT built in).

I've asked the people working on computer to give me the drive.

At the time it melted down. I was attempting to go to Mark/Space Forum site. No writing involved.

The freezing theory work because if the failure was as a result of Bearing seizing Heat related.

On my iTunes stuff I have almost the same collection on my G4-500 so I can copy those over except recent tunes downloads not on the G4-500.
my question is if I have a Drive to go bad and I reinstall. Does That count against the number computer I am allowed I believe (5) activated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Definitely something to use as a last resort.

well like i said, it was a FIRST resort, and probably should always be used as such when you're going to use it... the problem with making it a last resort is you've probably already damaged the disk even more with attempts at recovery, either manually or with utilities.

it's expansion and contraction that makes it work.

>Does That count against the number computer I am allowed I believe (5) activated.

yes. but apple will reset that count (full 5) once a year. or just roll back one at a time when ever you need. i went through that with them last year before i felt comfortable ordering any quantity of music/video from itunes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've drifted terribly off-topic, but I do want to emphasize one last thing to pj and then request that we all get back to the forums issue at hand...
>No backups. Up till now as long as I had mac's I've never had one to melt down like this.

Understand that Macs use the same drive mechanisms as other computers. At some point, generally when you can least afford it to happen, it will fail! Develop a backup scheme ASAP, even if your drive is brand-spanking new.

...we now return to "What a mess".

Thanks!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2009 Feb 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just there too and I think I find what happen to you at this thread,the admin will give you better answer ,perhaps the IP setting trouble you at that time,it just an advice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 03, 2009 Mar 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Visibility of previous posts is haywire again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2009 Mar 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
> Visibility of previous posts is haywire again!

...and this time it's even affecting me! It's random: in some threads I get the las two, in some, only the last.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines