• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What About Moderators in the New Forum?

Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2009 Feb 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the spam thread for awhile and you will see that moderation works well in these webx forums

You will also see messages concerning the LACK of moderation over in the cfusion side of things

Will the new forum software/structure allow for "this" moderation to continue, or will it fall away to "that" style of non-moderation?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 316 Replies 316
Participant ,
Feb 17, 2009 Feb 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderation should be much easier, more like it is here.

One of the big issues on the "other" side is that moderators cannot delete messages. This is because of the "duct tape and chewing gum" NNTP system there. The details are too painful to spell out, but it takes someone with web engineering access to go in and get messages deleted.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Feb 19, 2009 Feb 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test reply - Please disregard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another test message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Testing again ... patience grasshopper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Testing to see if I can post. This is my forums login .. not my Adobe ID even though I linked them .. twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to link mine 3 times before it 'stuck'. Make sure you log out/back in. Obvious I know, you probably did it already. But you never know ;-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are supposed to be using your Forums login here. Linking the accounts has no visible effect on these forums. Continue to use them as usual.

All the linking does is tell the two forum systems that you are the same person when it combines the content of the two existing forums in April. Until that point, everything remains as it was.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you do not link to an Adobe ID?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of your old messages pulled in from this system will say "Guest" next to them instead of showing your name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, you're boxing me in....:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In imported posts, would it be (a) possible and (b) desirable to have in the text of the post the name of the original person posting, even if the new system displayed that "guest" name in the member name part? So it wouldn't know who Cindy was but it would simply pick up the info from the current system as a bit of text, put quotes either side of the name, and add the word "wrote " -

Eg (very crude mockup)

----------------------------------------------------
Guest - 4:33pm Feb 19, 09 PST (#8 of 10)

"Cindy" wrote
What happens if you do not link to an Adobe ID?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmmmm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess, you had better "migrate" then, Cindy?

:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awww, do I have to? I will forever be Cindy-.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 20, 2009 Feb 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Oz. I will ask about that. But I don't know for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2009 Feb 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test post from down in the sunny South Pacific.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 23, 2009 Feb 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oz: Am I missing something here? How does a guest make a post ... I thought you have to log in to have post access?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don, Oz was saying that posts from here that haven't been linked to an Adobe ID before the consolidation will end up with a generic "guest" attribution as the user name in the new forum set up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, on that note: how does one double-check that they've managed to link their user here with an Adobe ID?

The first umpteen dozen times I tried to do this the login to the Adobe ID would time out -- something I frankly get quite a lot when I try to login anytime with my Adobe ID. I'm not sure what's going on there.

I just tried to link my users here a few minutes ago and got the same time out. So I opened another window and tried logging in manually somewhere else. On my fourth or fifth try (after double-checking the password with the 'forgot your password?' function) it went through. Satisfied I had the right user/pass combo, I went back to the timed out page and hit fresh. It came up with some window asking to confirm I wanted to login with my (correct) Adobe ID and I said 'confirm'. So I *think* I'm linked, but I don't see any visual cue. At least, it doesn't ask me when I login anymore.

At any rate, is there way to verify it at our end? It'd be nice to have that peace of mind. Also, it'd be nice if I could find out why I timeout 90% of the time I try to login with my Adobe ID -- is it just that overloaded with users logging in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> At any rate, is there way to verify it at our end?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>At any rate, is there way to verify it at our end? It'd be nice to have that peace of mind.

Agreed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish that were possible also. What we've been told is that once it's done, it's invisible to the user. It would be nice tho, if there were a way to cross check it. I'd like it if it were possible to have it displayed as one of the elements that users can see in their profile, but I don't know whether it's technically possible. The question can certainly be asked tho.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That will confirm your Adobe ID, but not whether it is in fact linked to the one you use here - or am I even more confused than I thought? ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would confirm that you remember your login info from that side, in order to link it to this side, but no, it wouldn't confirm that it is actually linked to this side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines