• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What About Moderators in the New Forum?

Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2009 Feb 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the spam thread for awhile and you will see that moderation works well in these webx forums

You will also see messages concerning the LACK of moderation over in the cfusion side of things

Will the new forum software/structure allow for "this" moderation to continue, or will it fall away to "that" style of non-moderation?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 316 Replies 316
Feb 25, 2009 Feb 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Ann it's pretentious twaddle and does not add to the value of the advice given.

I've also seen some horrifically bad advice given by so-called "experts".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I'll agree with you Ann that "Community Expert" does sound pretty lame. And I'm not even arguing that titles should be kept necessarily, just that I've seen the system work on some forums.

That 'Junior Member' thing is pretty funny too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the CE titles should be ditched as well. and forum host should be labeled (visibly) as the adobe employees are labeled. that way newbies will know who they can talk to. convert all the CEs over to hosts and i don't think anyone would have an issue with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the short list given by Dorothy I see nothing that impresses me as being useful information for forum users. A CE label is as meaningless for me here as a PhD degree in whatever discipline.

As for ratings based on the number of posts, I find them simply childish and laughable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The number of posts will at least make it easier to identify the drive-by posters and the "I made a new hotmail account just to post anonymous crap here" posters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 26, 2009 Feb 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Years ago people in other forums used to comment on each others' post counts and make a big deal of it, but these days it's no longer a novelty, and is just a little piece of evidence about the person posting, along with the other clues you can pick up about them from the language they use and the sense that they make, or not. It's something I sometimes flick my eyes to if I feel the need to know, and otherwise don't notice.

I imagine it will be the source of novelty and amusement for the first five minutes in the new forums, and then will be generally taken for granted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course you realize that we will all probably start off with a post count of 1 when the new forum software is launched ... even those of us who have been around for 10 or more years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're pulling the old posts over from both sides. And, you're linking your login info from here to the account that will be your new login in the new forums. Given that, I'd expect that people who go through that process will get credit for existing posts.

Old posts that are not linked to an account will end up having guest for a user name on them. And people that don't create a login before the change happens will end up starting with a zero count, no matter their activity here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I imagine it will be the source of novelty and amusement for the first five minutes in the new forums, and then will be generally taken for granted.

<discreet cough> I imagine many of us have seen that system on other forums many times and will fail to be amazed or amused, even first time round </dc>

Pointless fluff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test post for Dorothy.

Best regards
Haeme

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>And, you're linking your login info from here to the account that will be your new login in the new forums

Well it seems like someone somewhere already uses my handle so, how would it pull my posts over?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if someone changed their screen name as all this was being set up, would previous web forum posts would still be associated with the new name, or would one be starting off at a count of 0 .... not that it matters too much either way really. I use NNTP exclusively, so my count isn't that high under my previous screen name anyways - just a question to clarify things :-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

graf, have you got an Adobe ID? If so, I assume you could link your name/identity here to your Adobe ID, then change your screen name 'over there' and for the future. At least, I think in future you will be able to change your screen name, even if you can't yet 'over there'.

Suppose you picked Jim.

In the new forums, you would be Jim, and all your old posts from over here, as grafitti, would appear under Jim.

I think.

I see one big flaw though - there's no link to a page where we can do this linking, if we haven't already. Does it appear if you log out and back in over here? I'm not risking it just to find out., I'm permanently logged in right now and I like it that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of all this cack-handed furtling about with cookies, would it have been better to just put a message across the top of each forum 'over here', saying

'Click here to link your Adobe Forum name and identity to your Adobe ID - this will lead to a smooth transition to the new forums' ?

Link to a page explaining properly what it's all for, and where you can perform the linkage.

Then people could do it whenever they like, rather than while fighting log-in issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over there I've been using ~graffiti since the last big migration. I think I have a grand total of 60 posts or so (to dang confusing and slow to go there much).

I can't seem to stay permanently logged in so I always get the page that says I need to do so then takes me to a page that supposedly lets me connect my two log-ins but it just tells me that graffiti is already taken.

I'm not to worried about it really. More curious than anything else.

I've always wanted to look like a newby in these forums. ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree post count can be somewhat useful Oz, I just agree with others than using it as a basis for a title isn't all that helpful. It's definitely handy for spotting the 'drive by' posters, as you put it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think they are hard to spot. And if someone has only one post so what? Everyone starts somewhere. Plus plenty of people post a lot but don't say much useful 😉 I don't think we need this at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Kath: the less of that sort of meaningless and irritating clutter, the better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think i like avatars...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More than two seconds of that and more than on one occasion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right. imagine a long thread, with several regulars having repeat posts trying to solve someone's problem in a back and forth, and all of them have annoying avatars... <sigh>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that all avatars get converted to a static PNG behind the scense, so you won't see animations in them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

then where's the fun... what's the point? :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John:

Virtually ALL of us have stated, more than clearly, that we do NOT want to see Avatars and self-promoting "Signatures" of ANY sort and at ANY time.

PLEASE just forget the whole idea of permitting avatars.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines