• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the time used in these forums?

LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2009 Sep 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One would tend to assume that the time shown in these forums (for example, the posting times) refer to the USA, although this could be wrong. However, there are (I think) four different time zones in that country. Maybe for the natives it is quite clear what "8:13 AM" means, but it is not at all clear for at least this one inhabitant of another country. Even acronyms such as EPT (I am not sure if I recall this correctly from the old forums) don't mean much to me.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to specify in some clear way what time being used in these forums?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see my own local time. Doesn't everyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see my own local time. Doesn't everyone?

I do, and we are in that odd Arizona, USA, time zone, where we do not "celebrate" Day Light Savings Time - stays the same all year long. Now, scattered about our state are various reservations. They DO apply DST, so the time will be off by an hour, just driving a few blocks, and then revert in another few blocks.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to set your time zone in your preferences... Then all times are synced to that.

Correction, that should read: Then all times you see are synced to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The default is US Pacific time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the days of the fair forums, we all had PST (PDT at this time of the year) as the common forum time.

Now it is the default you may change, as mentioned by Peter.

I still keep it at the default because it is the common forum time (messages about the forums also refer to this time). So in our TST area, we just add 9 hours (apart from the spring and autumn periods affected by differences in transitions between standard and summer time here and there).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just use Foxclocks.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1117

It puts a little icon in the status bar of Firefox with the regions you want..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned in another thread, http://forums.adobe.com/thread/487501?tstart=0, Claudio and I have decided to avoid enhancements.

And, it is quite easy and convenient just to use the common forum time, which was always called Pacific whether it was PST or PDT, especially when  used to it and not wanting to change habits from the time of the fair forums, and especially when forming part of the vampire squad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and especially when forming part of the vampire squad.

Just don't look in the mirror! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob

Foxclocks has nothing to do with the forums, where I rarely use it. It is just a convenient browser enhancement for anyone who has friends and family all over the globe.

I know with one click that it is 10.23 am in Chile where Claudio is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Foxclocks has nothing to do with the forums, where I rarely use it. It is just a convenient browser enhancement for anyone who has friends and family all over the globe.

I know with one click that it is 10.23 am in Chile where Claudio is. 

I know, John, and I acknowledge the convenience. But the first time I installed FF, I clicked on all the great enhancements offered and never used any of them, resulting in and a very slow browser, and udatings sweeping like tides, or tsunamis. Since then I have just enjoyed it raw. Something may convince me some night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My reason for asking is that some things simply don't check. At the time of writing this message, the first topic in the list was the "What are forum points..." one, with 35 replies and the last one by Jhabrix 9 minutes ago. However, if I open the thread, I see that the last message is #35 (i.e., no posts have been deleted), it is posted by Jhabrix, but at 11:51 AM. As it's now a few minutes past 2 PM here, that's quite a lot more than 9 minutes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And my message of a few seconds ago appears as posted at my local time! 

??????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just peachy!!

Your showing right now posting 18 mins ago. I live EST or 2:29 PM (Michigan)

PST is 3 hours behind EST.

I give up trying to figure it out. My pref is set as EST too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

My reason for asking is that some things simply don't check. At the time of writing this message, the first topic in the list was the "What are forum points..." one, with 35 replies and the last one by Jhabrix 9 minutes ago. However, if I open the thread, I see that the last message is #35 (i.e., no posts have been deleted), it is posted by Jhabrix, but at 11:51 AM. As it's now a few minutes past 2 PM here, that's quite a lot more than 9 minutes...

Cladio,

I edited my message... the strike through is new and so is the add on. But it doesn't show as a new post as it's just an edit.

Therefore, probably plays up with timings... Have noticed this phenomena... no solution, as far as i know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edits change the time stamp but don't move the post!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

Claudio, it's just like I said before, all of the information produced by Jiveware is unreliable--more often wrong than not.  I'm not even joking around now.  It goes for virtually every statistic and piece of automated information here (because it's the most buggy software known to man ).  They just don't test enough, they obviously don't care, and they sure as heck can't write correctly functioning software.  The whole forum, front and backend, appears to be behave like an overengineered software mess.

(There's a Java backend on this trash.  And Java developers wonder why everyone thinks they are incompetent... since there are so many Java devs around--being the most popular language--there's always people like the Jive script kiddies to give the ones that know what they're doing a bad name.)

As for the time it's using, it probably syncs up to the time on Planet Jive--where even the Jives can't agree on what time it is because every answer is "correct"!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 06, 2009 Sep 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote on 9/6/2009 3:03 AM:

>> Claudio González wrote :

>>

>> My reason for asking is that some things simply don't check. At the time of writing this message, the first topic in the list was the "What are forum points..." one, with 35 replies and the last one by Jhabrix 9 minutes ago. However, if I open the thread, I see that the last message is #35 (i.e., no posts have been deleted), it is posted by Jhabrix, but at 11:51 AM. As it's now a few minutes past 2 PM here, that's quite a lot more than 9 minutes...

Claudio, it's just like I said before, all of the information produced by Jiveware is unreliable

Just use the webservices to access the correct information. Then you

will also see that all threads and messages have multiple timestamps so

it is possible to keep track of updates and new posts independently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but I haven't the slightest idea what webservices you are talking about. Also, I don't understand discrepancies such as the ones I described in my previous message here, http://forums.adobe.com/message/2229320#2229320 Why should the times of my own messages coincide with my local time sometimes but not always? Any clarification you may provide on this will be most gratefully received by me and probably others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

Just use the webservices to access the correct information. Then you

will also see that all threads and messages have multiple timestamps so

it is possible to keep track of updates and new posts independently.

Really I don't even know what you're talking about.  The information reported on the web forums should be correct, and no amount of workarounds or lame Jived excuses are going to convince me that Jive bugs are acceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone using the PST/PDT/Pacific as a common time, would make it easier to determine when we are, and it would make it easier to spot the breakdowns in timespace. We did have them in the days of the fair forum where an earlier post was sometimes posted later than a later post, in some cases by more than an hour. With such breakdowns, it should also be possible to get ahead of yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have set up in my preferences in "your stuff" 4:00 GMT :

SeaMonkeypicture001.png

Because I live in the Mid-Atlantic section of the USA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

I live in the Mid-Atlantic section of the USA

Isn't it rather wet there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

PjonesCET wrote:

I live in the Mid-Atlantic section of the USA

Isn't it rather wet there?

Not hardly the mid-Atlantic section of the USA encompasses Maryland , District of Columbia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina I live in Virginia about 6 hours from atlantic Ocean.

Florida is the wet area. It rains almost every day there. I attended a convention once in Kissime Florida. I walked a distance of 1000 ft from my room (outside) to the convention center and go rained on 5 times by 5 different clouds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK – for us the mid-Atlantic is somewhere around Bermuda.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines