• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the time used in these forums?

LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2009 Sep 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One would tend to assume that the time shown in these forums (for example, the posting times) refer to the USA, although this could be wrong. However, there are (I think) four different time zones in that country. Maybe for the natives it is quite clear what "8:13 AM" means, but it is not at all clear for at least this one inhabitant of another country. Even acronyms such as EPT (I am not sure if I recall this correctly from the old forums) don't mean much to me.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to specify in some clear way what time being used in these forums?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 15, 2009 Sep 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For god's sake PJ we all know that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't sound like everyone did. The fellow didn't know where he was in Europe and the others joking about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I read one of your posts I shake my head in disbelief. You try to give advice to others when you have no clue yourself.

Man I thought Arkansas had some 'funny' ones, go back to Virginia the earthquake state.

LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 23, 2009 Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because of the experienced and enormous slowness, this morning I had to use Firefox/Mac to access these forums. Although in my settings I have chosen "local time" (GTM-4:00), my messages appeared as posted two hours before than the local time. For example, my message of 6:48 appears as posted at 4:48. Now back in Safari/Vista, they show the correct times.

I therefore change my original question to: what determines the posting times shown?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

Because of the experienced and enormous slowness, this morning I had to use Firefox/Mac to access these forums. Although in my settings I have chosen "local time" (GTM-4:00), my messages appeared as posted two hours before than the local time. For example, my message of 6:48 appears as posted at 4:48. Now back in Safari/Vista, they show the correct times.

I therefore change my original question to: what determines the posting times shown?

The time you should have posted in order to get your post shown in the forum at the actual time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Jacob, but I seem to be more obtuse than usual, for I don't understand your explanation. Maybe my own explanation of what I see wasn't clear enough? Just in case:

Using Firefox/Mac, with "local time" selected, I posted a message at 6:48, and it was shown as posted at 4:48. After the slowdown ended, I opened the thread in Safari/Vista also with "local time" selected, and my message was shown as posted at 6:48.

Just for the sake of completeness, I have just checked again in Firefox/Mac, and my message appears now as posted at 6:48.

A byproduct of the slowdown?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

Sorry, Jacob, but I seem to be more obtuse than usual,

I am afraid I was even more abstruse than ususal: I imagined the forum slowness yielding a delay of two hours from posting (trying to) to the actual appearance of the post in the forum, so the timestamp would show when you started to post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Claudio,

Sorry, Jacob, but I seem to be more obtuse than usual,

I am afraid I was even more abstruse than ususal: I imagined the forum slowness yielding a delay of two hours from posting (trying to) to the actual appearance of the post in the forum, so the timestamp would show when you started to post.

No, at least for me, the delay was never anywhere near two hours. And I can assure you that at 4:48 am I was totally asleep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can assure you that at 4:48 am I was totally asleep.

Claudio,

Fess up. We all know that you were sipping a glass of Amontillado, and posting into the wee hours! You can't fool us...

Hunt

[Edit]

Oops, Chile. I thought España. I should have said a "glass of Santa Rita Casa Real." Sorry about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

Oops, Chile. I thought España. I should have said a "glass of Santa Rita Casa Real." Sorry about that.

or of one of our fine "piscos", which have nothing to envy of the best whiskies (Scotch, of course). Don't worry; we are used to that sort of confusion. It's not uncommon for American or Europeans to ask if I happen to know "my good friend Almeyda, who lives in Rio de Janeiro". At least you correctly associate Chile with Santa Rita (although we have much nicer wines -if you are a snob, you should know).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Chilean wines were first introduced in the UK in commercial quantities about 25 years ago it was a Santa Rita Cabernet Sauvignon that led the way.

That was the start of the Cabernet Sauvignon craze which went on from strength to strength, often being the only grape variety the average wine drinker could name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2009 Sep 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info, JJ, which was news for me.

While I was studying at Imperial College 45 years ago, Chilean wines were already imported in bulk in large quantities, and bottled in Britain under their own names, by two major firms. I seem to remember that one of them was Harvey's, but can't recall the name of the other. I also recall that they were so inexpensive that both firms sold them with more than a 100% profit because "if we sell them any cheaper, they will be the cheapest of all available wines, and nobody would buy them". I know this because I asked them. I also remember that Harvey's (?) sold their red wine under the name "Valparaiso Tinto" (tinto is our name for red wines). And I think Harvey's bought from Concha y Toro, still the largest Chilean exporter of cheap and middle priced wines in the country, although all exporters have only been selling wines bottled here for several decades now.

By the way, if you like red wines, keep an eye on our Carmeneres, specially on those with the name Silva on their labels (for example, Casa Silva).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Macintoh Computers there are three things that determine time shown items shown in Date & Time, International Control Panels, and on the forums your stuff Preferences:

(First three screen shots oare of Date & Time, 4th International, and 5th is Forum Preferences. If everything is set correctly the items show will appear to be timed according to your time zone. Regardless what area of the world you are in. So if your System clock is screwed up or the Prefernce are set wrong the time will be off. If you have PC or Linux or UNIX Machine YMMV)

System Preferencespicture001.png System Preferencespicture002.png

System Preferencespicture003.png System Preferencespicture004.png

SeaMonkeypicture001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip, thank you for trying to teach me how to set the time in my Mac, but that's something I learned many years ago, in the times of my 512 with two floppy drives (the hard disk had not yet been invented; I later bought an external one with the fantastically enormous capacity of 20 MB). I keep all my computers synchronized with the organism controlling Chile's official time, and in every browser I use I have checked the "local time" in the Adobe Forum.

What I have been reporting today is that, during the slowdown, messages I posted using Firefox/Mac because I couldn't use Safari/Vista were shown as posted two hours before my local time. And this effect disappeared when the slowdown did. They now show the correct posting time in both browsers. And no, I haven't touched anything in any of my time settings for quite a long time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You sound like you've been around as long as I have. Just trying to help.

Strange I used FireFox was able to get in once and post last night. then next times last night, I had to use Camino all appeared to be correct time. After my last post last night until this morning about 9-10AM you couldn't get in with a battering Ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange I used FireFox was able to get in once and post last night...

Phillip,

You must be a multi-browser sorta' guy. I thought that you were on FunkyMonkey, or similar. Is that a version of FireFox?

At least we got our fora back, though many of us had to really work hard for many hours.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SeaMonkey is my browser (all in one) of Choice. But I maintain a personal Website and just to make sure everything looks okay I keep the other Browsers. and on ocassion when I just wanto check an item on the web and not interested in looking at emails I will open one of the others.

So I keep: SeaMonkey 1 & 2, FireFox, Camino, Opera, OmniWeb, iCab, and Safari 4.x to Test. I do have an old copy of IE (5.2.3 last one for Mac) But its so unsecure I am afraid to crank it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, I am one of those dreaded "PC-guys," so I did not recognize most of those screen-caps.

Still, maybe I can set my Time/Date to, say 2007, and seem like a soothsayer?

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio if I am not mistaken and I could very well be, use a Mac.

But PC's more than likely have similar items to check whether they look the same or not. Now the last panel is the Preference panel for this Forum located in Your Stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coming abruptly back to the topic of this discussion, I see that I had missed this message: 43. So I just made some tests using the browsers in which I wasn't logged in.

I can confirm that, in Firefox/Mac and in Explorer/Vista, when not logged in, all times seem to appear as my local time (GMT-4:00) minus two hours; i.e., as GMT-6:00. Once logged in, all times change to my local time, GMT-4:00. I was and still am logged in in Safari/Vista, so I haven't been able to check what happens in this combination.

However, the discrepancy I observed yesterday in Firefox/Mac during the slowdown is not concordant with this. I was logged in (or I wouldn't have been able to post), but the times shown were not my local times, but my times minus 2 hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can now confirm that when I'm not logged in Safari/Vista, the times shown in these forums also change to my local time minus two hours. Incidentally and curiously, I have remained logged in Explorer/Vista but have been logged out in Firefox/Mac, although in both I had logged only about a couple of hours ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines