• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where my Adobe ID is not my e-mail...

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2009 Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Adobe ID is not my e-mail because that address may change (and it has). These things tend to get set in stone. I have no interest in calling an Adobe representative who will tell me after many more words that: no you're stuck with it, we can't help you.

Can I specify another e-mail for forum messages to be sent to?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too would love to hear a way to change it, my e-mail address has 32 characters in it & not by choice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Adobe ID and email address are typically the same thing. Within the ID is a field called "Screen Name". You can edit it to whatever you like (if its not already taken). Screename is what is used as your Forum name in the new forum.

You can change your Adobe ID; but that actually creates a new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that the original question isn't clear enough, or my problem is different.

Some of us opened our Adobe Store account many years ago, when it wasn't compulsory to use an email address as your Adobe ID. And some of these, myself included, have refused to change that for an email address. My email address is in a separate field.

Now the problem is in this test forum; if I ask for anything to be emailed to me, the software tries to use my non-email Adobe ID as my email address. And of course nothing is sent.

Surely (hopefully) an easily solved oversight?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What John C instructed me to do in a similar situation was to create yet another Adobe ID Account using my current e-mail address.

And then go to any other Accounts and change the Screen names in all of those to something that I didn't want to use.

Wait a little while, then go back to the NEW Adobe ID Account that you have just created and change the Screen Name there to the one that you actually want to use from now on.

That worked for me.

Now I just have to remember all the other Adobe Accounts (with a number of different now-extinct e-mail addresses that I once had!) because my software registrations are scattered among at least three of them.

It's a crazy system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I don't want to use any email address as my Adobe ID!!! And, as far as I know, it isn't compulsory to do so. Or I would have been forced to change my present ID to an email address?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Your Adobe ID and email address are typically the same thing.

Not mine. It is a name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ONLY Adobe get to see your e-mail address it's not viewable by anyone else (unless you make it so) and your Account is Password-protected anyway.

Your SCREEN Name is the only thing that Forum Users see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

b @Curt:
Typically yes, but not in my case. I had an Adobe ID before it was required to be an e-mail address.

b @Claudio:
You and I have the same issue.

b @Ann:
I actually have a screen name on the Adobe ID account that is perfectly acceptable. What I don't want is multiple Adobe accounts holding software registrations, purchase history, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

b @Ann, take two
Also not worried about who sees my e-mail. It's what happens when the e-mail goes dead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> What I don't want is multiple Adobe accounts holding software registrations, purchase history, etc.

I had that too. Adobe straightened it out for me. I might mention that the reason I developed that problem is because I don't have my email address as my user ID. So when I automatically register software it uses my email address creating a new ID. I think I will fix that before I register software again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cindy:

That is how I landed in the same situation! Adobe were supposed to have fixed it but they never managed to migrate all of my old registrations over to my new e-mail linked ID so i have just left all of the old accounts scattered around their Server attached to screen names that I am not currently using.

The whole idea of tying Adobe IDs to e-mail addresses (which do happen to change!) is both crazy and chaotic.

In the past five years, we have had three Corporate-take-overs of the Cable company that provides ISP service in this area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a provision in the user account to change the ID to your email and also the ability to change that email. I suppose I am going to have to fix that. I have about 4 ID's with another one tied to the same email so it will require some thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2009 Mar 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My screen name for Adobe.com is PjonesCET.
My screen name for these forums is was pjonesCET.

However I have my email address set and it the same on both and set not to be visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET,
You do know that when you click on your name there is a e-mail address showing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have set not to show email address At least That's what I have set at webxx and what I think I have set in the forums for the new forum style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well then you did it wrong. :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PJones:

Your e-mail address is still visible on the WebX sites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2009 Mar 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b85c2a/ still doesn't answer the question!

Well. I took the plunge.

I thought I had just one Adobe ID with everything in it. I guess after registering products an e-mail ended up associated with the old account instead of creating a new one (or ones).

So I linked my login here to it.

It gives me an option to change my e-mail (in adobe.com account prefs), but notes this will alter by Adobe ID which still seems to be the old non-email one. Since the two apparently
b can
co-exist, it's not clear why I can't just update the e-mail part as needed without destroying the account. Surely Adobe doesn't make money having service reps muck about with account info.

I wonder if new forum notifications will go to "Adobe-ID" or "obviously-an-e-mail-address-field" from the database?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not appear to work. Problem remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you changed your e-mail address, can you still access your Product Registrations?

You may have to change your e-mail address back to your old one to see your registrations and serial numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what happens with failed attempts of the software to send emails to non-email-address IDs? I most definitely DO NOT want to change my Adobe ID to an email address that may become invalid in a very short time. But the software insists in trying to send me emails to what appears in my ID, which is not an email address...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2009 Mar 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
b @Ann:
I'm not going there. Scary enough to link the two. :)

Unless an official Adobe rep wants to make a statement...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines