• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does jivemacro=quote get lost all the time?

LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About half the time I post a reply with the web interface that quotes someone, the jivemacro attribute gets lost and the quote ends up looking goofy.

It's supposed to look like this, which is visible in the HTML viewer as <pre class="jive_text_macro jive_macro_quote" jivemacro="quote">:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetaur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in

but instead it ends up just as <pre class="jive_text_macro jive_macro_quote">

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetaur adipisicing elit, sed doeiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in

and the difference is significant, because the latter adds an annoying scroll bar and just doesn't look like a quote. (Oh look, no scroll bar this time! You just have to drag the mouse and pretend there's a scrollbar to see the whole thing! Even better!)

Does anyone know why this happens?

It always displays correctly in the "Full Editor," and it shows up correctly in the HTML Editor before the post is saved. It's only after the post is saved and viewed that it reverts erroneously.

Sometimes it takes editing the post twice to add the jivemacro="quote" attribute for it to "take."

This seems to happen more often in posts with multiple quote blocks, but not exclusively -- I just had it happen on a post with only one quotation.

(p.s. if this post doesn't show the problem, wait a minute or two and check back -- I'll probably have to edit it to make it look right because I suspect Jive will screw it up -- possibly multiple times. Yup...but my fault, not Jive's. Needed a longer Lorem Ipsum to make the scrolling problem evident.)

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Hawkinson wrote on 11/04/07 15:58:

About half the time I post a reply with the web interface that quotes someone, the jivemacro attribute gets lost and the quote ends up looking goofy.

The only thing I can remember that is even remotely similar to this is

an issue with a Firefox plugin corrupting messages during the form

submit. Can you post a link the next time this happens before fixing the

problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I can remember that is even remotely similar to this is

an issue with a Firefox plugin corrupting messages during the form

submit.

Huh. I was assuming server-side misbehavior, but OK. I've seen it with FF3.6 and FF4 both. It's hard for me to imagine a plugin that would cause that, but I do think all the machines I've seen it on have had Firebug installed (though not active).

Can you post a link the next time this happens before fixing the

problem?

Will do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And there we go! The above post generates the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Hawkinson wrote on 11/04/07 21:46:

And there we go! The above post generates the problem.

It is not the plugin issue. Don't know what it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're copying and pasting half of the quote. Right?

That happens to me every time.

What I do is quote twice, and delete the extra parts in both halves...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Hawkinson wrote:

It's supposed to look like this, which is visible in the HTML viewer as <pre class="jive_text_macro jive_macro_quote" jivemacro="quote">:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetaur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in

but instead it ends up just as <pre class="jive_text_macro jive_macro_quote">

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetaur adipisicing elit, sed doeiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in

and the difference is significant, because the latter adds an annoying scroll bar and just doesn't look like a quote.

I'm not seeing that behavior - ever - with IE9 set to Compatibility View.

Out of curiosity, are you actively using the HTML editor, or just doing so to try to get to the bottom of this issue.  If the former, why?  I ask because I haven't found the HTML editor to buy me any additional control over anything.  Stuff that should work, like making the font larger, simply doesn't.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, which behavior aren't you seeing -- the scroll bar or the not looking like a quote? Or something else?

Curiously, I didn't see the scrollbar earlier, when it was just the first 3 posts. Now I see the scrollbar in FF3.6, FF4, and Chrome.

I don't actively use the HTML editor except to debug issues like this and others. Sometimes I use it to fix stray <BR/>s and things like that, but it's definitely rare.

Harbs: I'm not sure...I know I sometimes try it both ways. I'll try to pay closer attention to which I use. Good thought. Though, of course, it should just work both ways. And that doesn't explain editing the HTML, hitting Update, and having it not "take."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had very little luck using the html editor. I don't bother with it anymore...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

John Hawkinson wrote:

Noel, which behavior aren't you seeing -- the scroll bar or the not looking like a quote? Or something else?

When I hit the quote button, I get your name, and your text, and it looks right every time, just as shown here.

I used to get some extra script before the name, but then I was told I need to use Compatibility View mode, and that cleared that up 100%.

So for me, quoting a post to which I'm responding is one of the few things that works right and consistently.

I don't doubt you're seeing the problem you describe, but it seems it must be browser-specific.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines