• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why doesn't this forum support Opera? You even use it in your own software, Adobe!

Jan 11, 2010 Jan 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really pissing me off that Adobe chooses to use a forum frontend that does not support the Opera browser. Makes me have to go out of my save habitat, log all in again with a forgotten password through a browser I don't like, for no apparent reason because there's plenty of forums out there that don't have fanboy browser issues.

Here's the fun thing. Ever wonder how Opera got magically installed on your OSX Mac? Because from Creative Suite 3 and up, it is included with the Adobe software.

This isn't right, Adobe guys. You should either pay Jive Software a bunch of money to support Opera, or switch to other forum software that has no browser issues. There's plenty of free ones.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your version number against the version number show in the attached image.

Software Companies frequently throw in incentive software and the for get they update every month or two Like they themselves do.

I have the very version shown  that image version 10.

And it works as well as SeaMonkey, Firefox, OmniWeb, Camino, iCab, and Safari. (Which is not necessarily saying a lot, there are lots bugs to be fixed in the forums.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, well I am actually browsing on my Windows machine here. And I am totally uptodate. I run Opera 10.10 and Windows 7. And I can read and everything, but try to open a discussion or make a reply, and you'll find that you cannot type in the message editor with Opera. At all. The editor is an unselectable line in Opera 10.10. As it was in Opera 9.5.

The Jive Software site themselves, the guys who made this forum, say that Opera is not supported and will not be supported any time soon.

So since Adobe bought the support of Opera for whatever reason, they should in my opinion also support Opera on their most important forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's odd the Mac version works just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am posting now on Opera at this second just for a test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. That's even stranger. So the Mac version works. The Win32 version does not...

Adopera.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is Curious!

Do you have JavaScript turned on? This forum is based heavily on Javascript.  I seem to recall in other previous thread the is a problem with  These forums and Opera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I'm a modern webuser. Javascript enabled, java installed, shockwave, flash, silverlight and what not installed.

In the end I think it's not me. Opera is not supported, Jive sais so themselves. I think they support the Mac version by accident now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do know Opera has the ability to masqurade as another Browser Try having it appear as say IE or FireFox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Please start reading at the bottom of this post!)

(still, my point remains, a different choice of software on a forum from a big company such as Adobe makes Opera (Win32) users more happy!)

This takes some getting used to but I can type in notepad first and paste it here later, next time

Only problem is that I cannot create a new line of text below the last line, it appears above it, so you have to start reading at the bottom of my post (I am serious, this makes no sense but I am not joking )

I did try the "Identify As" Internet Explorer options and there was no difference, but your choice of words (masquerade) made me try the "Mask as" Internet Explorer option instead, and now the editor shows!

Hey thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad wI as able to help.

Do you suppose it's a Browser sniffing Problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is both. If it sniffs Internet Explorer while it is Opera, the editor does show up and at least I can post.
BUT - the editor is all messed up.

I am writing with notepad now. I can live with that. No longer pissed off.

But I stand my point. A 'small percentage of Opera users' is a big amount for a big company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2010 Jan 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesn't own Jive, it uses their software to run the forum. Adobe doesn't even run the latest version of Jive. As a user of Jive's software, it cannot dictate to Jive any more than you can dictate how Adobe creates its software. Adobe decided that Jive's forum software was the best choice it could make given other considerations that we are not privy to. Should it have chosen poorer software, just because it supported Opera---I don't think so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice suggestive bias in your words.

Should you buy a silly little pink girls bike just because it has tires (ignoring the big manbikes because that would make you look good) kind of reasoning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Adobe must have had excellent reasons for choosing a software that seems to make it almost inpossible to correct any of the major bugs many of us have been complaining about for a year now, and for not upgrading to a newer version where some of the not so major bugs have been solved -or at least so we are told. If I understand correctly, latest version is 4 something but we are still stuck with 2.5.16.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just speculating here.

Sure, it's easy for us to complain that Adobe hasn't upgraded the software. But there are likely things we are unaware of or don't consider from our own little vantage points.

For example, maybe the forum software doesn't allow simply upgrading from version 2 whatever directly to 4 whatever. Maybe Jive insists that every patch along the way has to be installed in order to reach 4 whatever.

Adobe likely doesn't take upgrading the forum software lightly. After all, there are multiple servers involved, a massive amount of data to consider in the form of hunreds of thousands (maybe millions?) of forums posts and the like. I'd say it's a monumental undertaking and a huge event.

But I might be wrong. Only Adobe can say for sure... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All I can say is.. it must be a monumental event. Or they don't take kindly to their own forums.

It must be hard to migrate a forum where crazy html is supported making people able to mess with anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines