• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why here, not there?

Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2009 Feb 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why this new set of forums instead of carrying on where everyone expects/expected to have news about the forum changes, namely:
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc0fb97/

Hopefully, all the valuable information in this thread has not been forgotten:
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.3bc157dd

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 15, 2009 Feb 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio, the login issue is due to a change in the forum's cookies. Migrating your account or not, login issues will be the same.

Your reference link is to an issue on Friday night where cookies were set to expire after a certain amount of time. That was not working correctly across the various forum servers in the cluster. That was fixed shortly after it happened.

Fred, you should not have to log in as you move around or in and out of forums. Please check the URL you are at in the Forums. It should be http (not https) and it should have www in it (http://www.adobeforums.com, not http://adobeforums.com).

I had to log in on Friday night, like everyone else. But have been able to stay in pretty much since then, except when I closed my browser.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 15, 2009 Feb 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>except when I closed my browser.

Aaah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 16, 2009 Feb 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Except" when I closed my browser? John, that would mean at least once a day for me, as I switch off my computer for the night (in which I somehow feel I'm not alone). Not counting restarts due to almost daily Windows updates or the like...

Not a change I would welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a change I would welcome.

Nor would anyone else, I'd imagine.

I hope I understood correctly that the session based cookies will be short lived...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yet some are complaining about their being too short lived.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2009 Feb 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I've set things in Firefox, and it's http (not https), but still I'm not automatically logged in when I hit the bookmark as used to happen. The only thing that changed to cause this was that I linked as requested. Same browser, bookmark, computer and idiot at the keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't visit here frequently enough to get passionately involved in the debate, but would just say that the simplicity, speed and compact presentation of this forum has encouraged use. The last makeover was awful, but thankfully abandoned. The forums in the User Group, which is somewhat flashier, also works pretty well, but I don't know why we need two or more places to share the same exchanges, and that one seems to get a little more input from 'professionals', Adobe or otherwise.
My appeal to forum designers I guess is not to add so many bells, whistles, options and alternatives that it becomes tedious to use the basic functionality. (Almost the same comment might apply to Acrobat itself)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I support Steve's comments. Let the extra flair, avatars and such, but a user preference and let us keep this display format like this one if desired. I would keep it. Every forum that I have seen referenced as better, I have found annoying due to the wasted space. Make the waste a user option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fred, if you are using a bookmark from before the change, once you are in, you might want to make a new one and delete the old. Not sure whether there might be something in the bookmark that keeps tripping it, but it's something to eliminate as a possibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fred, is your bookmark set to adobeforums.com or www.adobeforums.com?

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came in on this computer today (work) and did not have to log in. i combined my ids on my home computer on friday or saturday.

the url i have bookmarked in one of my autostart tabs (firefox) is:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ee6b366/

(that's the lounge! warning: thar be draegons there!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ee6b366/ go to the Lounge for you?

It takes me to PS WIN.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh sorry. ya, forgot i was at my work box when i posted that. :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, it's set at http://www.adobeforums.com

(or: http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bb41392 to be precise)

A couple of things that may be of relevance:

I'm using Linux Firefox on Ubuntu 8.04.

The login is only required after closing the browser, which I do frequently as I'm running Internet on a laptop and space is a consideration. Note that this was not the case before I linked up, I was always logged in then regardless of how many times I shut down the browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. Before Friday the permanent cookie worked. On Friday it was disabled so that everyone gets a chance to have their messages moved over from one system to the other. It doesn't have anything to do with the linking of the accounts (that has been in place for a few weeks). But it is somewhat associated in that if we didn't turn off the cookie folks not logging in would lose all their old content. No matter what you selected (associate my account now, do it later, don't do it at all), the cookie has been changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Into an early easter bun?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> the cookie has been changed.

Permanently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know yet. I think it really depends on how many users go through the account migration/association path. In the two or three weeks before the cookie changed only 96 people configured their accounts. Since Saturday there have been about 1900. So, from that point of view it appears to be working.

I know that Firefox 3 will ask to store your login info for the Forums and auto fill when prompted to log in. I don't know if other browsers can/will do this.

I can tell you that the security folks are happier with the session cookies because of the situation of people using shared computers (libraries, etc.) and not remembering to log out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FF 2, SeaMonkey will as well also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea whether my "account linking" attempt worked or not, because of the loopy "Now I'm logged on, now I'm not" thing that happened the other day (Friday night, I think. When I tried to figure out what was going on at that time, I ditched all my old Adobeforums.com cookies to attempt a fresh start).

I DO know that the "Phos...." login I'm currently enjoying is not the same one I'd been using as "Phos±four dots."

I just logged out, then logged back in, and I'm still seeing a message asking me to link my accounts or "Do it later."

I'll also report that this login expires when I quit Firefox (3.0.4), requiring me to login again after I relaunch it.

I also know that trying to login to the account where my user name has been "Phos±four dots" for years doesn't work anymore. I have my password physically written in a notebook sitting in front of me. I even tried a couple alternates that I've been known to use. Nope. No getting in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. I just quit my browser to see what happened, and had to log back in. No message about linking (I've already done it). But ... when I switch my computer off at night and come back, I'm still logged in. How does that work for the security folk?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 18, 2009 Feb 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm at a different machine now, which was switched off overnight - and I didn't have to log in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer was switched off for the night too but I DID have to log in!

Grrrrrr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phos, send me an email. I will send you a new password.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines