• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why no underlining or font choice?

LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my apparent new tradition of bringing up a new problem each day, I suppose I'll ask these questions, which have been bothering me for a while...

1.  I can underline text while I'm editing.  In fact, this sentence is underlined.  Why doesn't it retain the underline after one hits [ Post Message ]?

2.  Just above where we type there are boxes for Font family and font size.  And sure enough one can change font size and face here in the editor (e.g., this sentence).  But again, it doesn't post...  Why?

I suppose I should be thankful that Bolding and italics DO work, even together.

-Noel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Apr 12, 2011 Apr 12, 2011

My appologies If I stepped on some toes. But there has been one update since this Jive software came to being. And yet  almost each week a new bug has been introduced. or on or more features has been taken away. All in the name of security. How expensive is it to add Spam Seive. Or even Baracuda Firewall Security.

Yes the Majority of software employees in the trenches are good, mean well. No one at the top  or even further down the chain, adobe cares about support. if so they would be fighting to

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

The text formatting was altered some time ago (six mos.?). The statment was that some spammers were using certain formatting options to sneak messages onto the forums. There are several posts from the time that these options were removed. Several posters did some test replies, and it seems that a few of the formatting options differed browser to browser, but basically, most options were removed.

I'd love to see them added back, but assume that the threat still exists.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bill.

So spammers were sneaking into the forums using what, white on white text to hide their ads?  How is that a threat? 

And I really can't count the number of times I've been attacked through the use of underlined text. 

So if the formatting features are removed, why not remove the formatting controls (or just gray them out)?  It just comes off as a hack job the way it is.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

Noel,

The text formatting was altered some time ago (six mos.?). The statment was that some spammers were using certain formatting options to sneak messages onto the forums. There are several posts from the time that these options were removed. Several posters did some test replies, and it seems that a few of the formatting options differed browser to browser, but basically, most options were removed.

I'd love to see them added back, but assume that the threat still exists.

Hunt

And yet.... despite all the functionality which has been removed to thwart spammers, there are now daily spam attacks in

the Lounge. It is humourously pathetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kami Bambiraptor wrote:

And yet.... despite all the functionality which has been removed to thwart spammers, there are now daily spam attacks in

the Lounge. It is humourously pathetic.

Anyone knows how the spam problem is handled in other sites? It is true that the number of other (non Adobe) forums I frequent is not too large, but none of those I frequent has been crippled, at least, as far as I know...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

I suppose I should be thankful that Bolding and italics DO work, even together.

-Noel

Yes, you should. For as long as they are not made inactive for security reasons, while keeping them in the menu...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another quick test:

Does underline work here?

What about strike through?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tai, there is a special forum for testing purposes in here:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments/testing?view=discussions

There are some who don't like to see any testing performed in this forum...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forum spammers are a crafty bunch; they use whatever they can to get their message through.  Not to us forum users, but for the benefit of Search Engines (that's why they call their spamming activities "SEO" - search engine "optimization").

Posting hidden links in apparent innocent posts was one of their tactics, until this practice was made impossible by banning practically all text formatting.  It seems that this Jiveware only allows all or nothing.

I miss the text formatting features, but on the other hand I am all in favor of making spammers' jobs as hard as possible!

As for how other forums are affected by spammers: I am a moderator in several other forums, and we do not see this amount of spam as we do here at the Adobe forums.  However, over the last few weeks I have been hammered by one particular spammer from Pakistan, who seems to have an endless number of IP and email addresses to sign-up multiple times every day.  So far I have not been able to prevent this spammer's activities, even after banning hundreds of IP and email addresses.

The Adobe forums are more interesting for spammers since there are so many of them.  As Jochem pointed out, some forums are rarely visited, and spam posts can remain undetected for weeks!

As I wrote in the other topic, the best way to discourage spammers is to have their droppings removed as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2011 Apr 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also wondering this, but now I know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2011 Apr 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pwillener wrote:

<snip>

As I wrote in the other topic, the best way to discourage spammers is to have their droppings removed as soon as possible.

Seems like the Spam report thread is gone now, for some reason. Maybe Adobe has figured out a way to stop the spam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rightttttt!

I expect the thread just got to long. Just need to start a new one.

If they haven't got the bugs out of the the Forums, and returned all the formating controls, and Read Tracking issue, corrected the removal of adding attachments. I doubt seriously they have go a handle on Spam.

Of all the web forums I deal with, this is the most disabled, disfunctional Forum I deal with. And it appears there is no one smart enough at Adobe of Jive to fix the problems. Heck even intuit can do better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

. And it appears there is no one smart enough at Adobe of Jive to fix the problems. .

that's really insulting. there's a big difference between the people who know the problems and struggle here anyway, with the limitations of this cr*p  forum, and the empty suits and bean counters who decide not to fix or change to something worthwhile.

you just insulted every hard working, brilliant adobe employee and volunteer who only WISH they were given the opportunity to apply what they know to return this place to the vibrant community it once was. good job.

sometimes you should maybe stop talking about one sentence before you feel like you should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My appologies If I stepped on some toes. But there has been one update since this Jive software came to being. And yet  almost each week a new bug has been introduced. or on or more features has been taken away. All in the name of security. How expensive is it to add Spam Seive. Or even Baracuda Firewall Security.

Yes the Majority of software employees in the trenches are good, mean well. No one at the top  or even further down the chain, adobe cares about support. if so they would be fighting tooth and nail to get these forums fixed. Instead of sitting around wringing their hands, I can't do nothin, I can't do nothin, my hands are tied woes is me, woes, is me.

Do you realize these forums and supprt in general has sunk to a Level lower than Intuit's? Intuit was the worst company on the planet for Mac support for their software. Adobe in my opinion now is lower.

Someone needs to get of their backside and do something.

If it can be done some of the volunteers with the bucks and the network space should start their own independent Support Forums., and leave this junk behind.

Heck I can't even give a decent answer on Acroabt forum most times. the reply window takes a minimum of a minute some time two minutes or more to come up. Sometimes in trying to find the website, it times out several times. Often I have to go back mark my email notice as unread and go to other emails then come back.

I've tried Safari, SeaMonkey, FireFox, Camino, Opera, OmniWeb, iCab, and Chrome. all with the same experience So it no browser specific.

I just bought CS5 Web Premium, if it breaks I expect not to get any decent help from adobe should things break. At this point I couldn't rely on them to build a Dog house. If I had good sense I would leave these forums. but my wanting to people is outweighing my good sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You ain't seen nothing yet.  Adobe will force you to take out a subscription to continue using its products.  Theu have released a full FAQ at this link:

<http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/mastercollection/faq.html>

I guess Adobe is signing its own death warrant by doing this.

I suggest read the Subscriptions section at the above link.

The other blog article is here:

<http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2011/04/introducing-adobe-creative-suite-5-5-product-family.html?sdid=IMFAR>

hth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2011 Apr 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is important enough to open a new thread. Here, it may pass unnoticed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2011 Apr 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

DWILCOX01 wrote:

I guess Adobe is signing its own death warrant by doing this.

I see no evidence that you won't be able to still buy the software license too, just as always.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Rightttttt!

I expect the thread just got to long. Just need to start a new one.

No, I don't think that's the reason for its disappearance. Three weeks ago, I opened this thread suggesting that the thread was far too long and should be replaced by a new one:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/825594?tstart=0

but nobody except you paid any attention to it.

In any case, it wasn't deleted or locked, but merely "archived" (which in practice is the same as locking it). And there has been no explanation, nor has it been replaced by a new one. I have therefore opened a new one myself. I wonder for how long it will survive...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines