• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why pay so much for fonts...

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2009 Jun 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you can download them for free? I mean, $1,000 for Adobe's Minion Pro? Jeez. At that rate, I could afford one-half of one font. Come on, doesn't Adobe make enough money on desktop applications? I honestly hope there's no one out there who has that much extra cash to throw away. Graphic designers do not make 6 figures a year. I think they need a reality check as to who their actual customer base and demographic is. It's bewildering to say the least.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typically the customer pays for custom fonts. Not the designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe if Adobe sells one copy they break even.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got Minion Pro for free when I bought the Creative Suite Which didn't cost me anywhere near a $1000. Maybe you should have bought the creative suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you get the font with the Adobe Creative Suite you are getting one license for the fonts which can be used on your main computer and a secondary computer like a home laptop. When you pay full price you are getting a license for 5 seats. If you do not need 5 seats, then yes indeed it is better to buy the suite and get a single copy of the font for free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 24, 2009 Jun 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MikeKazlow wrote:

If you get the font with the Adobe Creative Suite you are getting one license for the fonts which can be used on your main computer and a secondary computer like a home laptop. When you pay full price you are getting a license for 5 seats. If you do not need 5 seats, then yes indeed it is better to buy the suite and get a single copy of the font for free.

Is that for the entire collection? I purchased Minion Pro recently because it had come as part of the old ATM program. But I had lost it due to hard drive crash. But I bought one specific font style of Minion Pro (Condensed)  I think I paid $99.00 and it was open type, the whole package series was as you said a thousand Dollars or more. Also if I'm not mistake when you go to the adobe store it ask number seats you wish purchase for, while you in the store (however, I won't swear to that as I purchased it in Jan-Feb and this is June. when I have repeatedly do something I tend to rember it, on occasion not so much.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can pay half price, but you can only use A-L...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 24, 2009 Jun 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

you can pay half price, but you can only use A-L...

You forgot the option: alternate letters... A, C, E...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not many people know how much work goes into creating a good quality Open Type font with a full set of glyphs and multiple language support.

If you don't know what that implies, you will be happy with True Type freebies.

(Until they crash Photoshop!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines