Will international forums be maintained?

Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

During the last fiasco, the French and Spanish ex-Adobe forums simply vanished, only to reappear after things were restored to their previous state. If anyone trusts my memory, I would say that the ex-MM forums remained untouched in that period.

Is anyone visiting these forums in a position to say if there is any intention of keeping all/some/none of the international forums? I am aware that there would be technichal problems such as combining both sets of forums for each language, but they should be no more difficult to solve than in the "normal" forums.

I also know that the number of participants in the Spain (Adobe) forum is small, but the forum is a great service for all of those who don't know any English. I imagine the situation is very similar at least for the France (Adobe) forum. It would be a pity to loose them.

Finally, if they are going to be kept, this would be a good time to translate properly all of their fixed text.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Will international forums be maintained?

Feb 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

During the last fiasco, the French and Spanish ex-Adobe forums simply vanished, only to reappear after things were restored to their previous state. If anyone trusts my memory, I would say that the ex-MM forums remained untouched in that period.

Is anyone visiting these forums in a position to say if there is any intention of keeping all/some/none of the international forums? I am aware that there would be technichal problems such as combining both sets of forums for each language, but they should be no more difficult to solve than in the "normal" forums.

I also know that the number of participants in the Spain (Adobe) forum is small, but the forum is a great service for all of those who don't know any English. I imagine the situation is very similar at least for the France (Adobe) forum. It would be a pity to loose them.

Finally, if they are going to be kept, this would be a good time to translate properly all of their fixed text.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 17, 2009 0
Participant ,
Feb 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question! The plan is to continue having forums available in French, German, Spanish, and Japanese.

I have mixed feelings about this. I like the idea of offering a forum where you can converse in your native language. But at the same time I think it is also a disadvantage because many of the people you come to the forum to ask questions of are participating in the English language forums and do not visit the various language forums(usually because they don't speak or write those languages).

Is it better to ask your question in your language in a place that might not get much traffic or answers? Or is it better to use broken English (or even your native language) in a forum with a lot of traffic and a lot of answers? I've seen messages posted in German in an English forum that get more answers and get answered more quickly than if they had been posted in the German forum.

Are we setting up people for disappointment (not getting a reply) by shuffling them off to the international language forums? In some ways, I sometimes feel that having the international forums sets those users up to be second-class citizens.

John

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 17, 2009 0
Feb 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your thoughtful repsonse, John.

I happen to have the opposite feeling to yours. There are many Spanish speaking people who do not know any English at all, so they wouldn't even be able to use completely broken English. For them, being able to post a question in their own language is a blessing. Even if at times the answer they receive is a link to a knowledgebase article or a thread in the forums in English, plus a recommendation to use a machine translator. And I am not the only one to give this sort of advise in the forums in Spanish...

There are also at least two other complicating factors. One is that Adobe Spain does not do very much to publicize the existence of the forums in Spanish, which at least partly explains their low level of participation. And the other is that Spanish speaking people using versions in Spanish of Adobe software have no (easy) way of knowing about these forums. So, even if they were able to write a post in broken English, thay wouldn't know where to publish it. And I wrote "no (easy) way" because if there is one, I am not aware of it.

Based on my experience in the forums in Spanish, I would say that a majority of the non highly specialiced questions do manage to get a useful answer. And I therefore consider that their existence is fully justified. If I wasn't convinced of this, this thread would have died years ago:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbba680

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 17, 2009 0
Feb 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe we need a standard "pick your flag to get to your localized forum" gimmick at the top level of the forums?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 17, 2009 0
Feb 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that wouldn't help very much if non English speaking users of Adobe products do not know about these forums... They would never even know about the flags.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 17, 2009 0
Enthusiast ,
Feb 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the "support" menu there's "forums". don't you guys have a support menu anywhere? check the page header...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 17, 2009 0