• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

You MERGED Illustrator and InDesign???

Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG....This place just plain stinks!!! You guys making this happen just don't get it. To he** with you!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, no, no. Not quite as bad as that!

They merged InDesign Windows and InDesign Mac into one InDesign General forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The (probable) reason why they did it is because those forums had very few active users and so they merged them to raise forum activity. I don't see what's the problem, is it that hard for the users to say whether they're on mac or windows? also, most problems are platform agnostic anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to these forums I want help from people who are familiar with how the software interacts with my OS. And you say there was little activity? Does that slow the system down or something? Does that require more manpower?

These forums have been going one day and here are some of the software related issues in the subject lines.

• Fonts in Illustrator CAS4 Windows XP
  • Problem with showing bounding box in Illustrator CS4 on Windows XP.
  • Can't open Illustrator documents on Windows after upgrading OS X Server.
  • Hardware & CS4 
  • Can't solve Illustrator CS3 crash on OS X 10.5.x (Updated)
  • InDesign CS3 freezes in startup on "SING Gaiji" 
  • Unable to save changes to a Photoshop file opened by Links panel 
  • placing text from MS Word with only 'italic', 'underlined' and/or 'bold'
  • Getting an Excel 2003 range into an InDesign CS3 document
  • no tools in CS4 Mac Indesign
  • Registration window appears every time I open InDesign...and it's already registered
  • Problem with RIP and Indesign CS4 – wrong file name
  • word documents not being linked in CS3
  • Converting Pagemaker 7.0 to CS3 fuzzy pictures
  • Anyone tried running In Design & other CS3 programs with Windows XP(64) bit version as their O/s?
  • Running CS2 on a MacBook

This is a trend!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, when comparing the post counts on Community Help, Photoshop gets about 170-200 comments/month while Illustrator gets about 50. I'm guessing that the forum activity mirrors that of Community Help so yes, i think it's because of low forum activity

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, when comparing the post counts on Community Help, Photoshop gets about 170-200 comments/month while Illustrator gets about 50. I'm guessing that the forum activity mirrors that of Community Help so yes, i think it's because of low forum activity

Well I hope the powers that be take note of how much activity on the Photoshop Mac forums go down in the upcoming months due to all these decisions that have been made. And when it does happen I suppose Adobe will feel justified in merging one more thing which in fact lack of support for the Mac community has caused the problem to begin with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except for the fact that windows uses tend to look down their noses at Mac users and will takeover and run the Mac Users off. Its known to happen to on all forums for any product, that try to merge  the different patforms.

Just look at SeaMonkey, FireFox, and Thunderbird Forums On Mozilla. There might be 3-4 Mac Participants yest the majority of SM/FF/TB users tend to be Mac users.  and each time a Mac User  either ask a question, or try to answer a question, they get a F off reaction. I contributed for years on those groups for years, finally I couldn't take the abuse and Just announced I was quitting contributing. Now I only ask questions on occasion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except for the fact that windows uses tend to look down their noses at Mac users and will takeover and run the Mac Users off

We finally agree. It is only a matter of time all the forums get merged. The very thing that some of the Windows users are attracted to will be gone.

Your studies are flawed. There is a wealth of information available in the Mac community and you (meaning forum organizers) are bent on driving that away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, I had no clue what you meant by that initial post and was merely trying to be helpful.

I personally think there is something to be said for having all the experts in one place. I just think there needs to be some easy, pictoral way to designate platform, preferably in the subject line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally think there is something to be said for having all the experts in one place. I just think there needs to be some easy, pictoral way to designate platform, preferably in the subject line.

And you no doubt use a Windows platform. It is always people who use Windows that advocate merging. Why is that? I prefer "experts" who know how to use the software on their given platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Mac since 1984.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cindy- wrote:

It is always people who use Windows that advocate merging. Why is that? I prefer "experts" who know how to use the software on their given platform.

Well, I'm a Windows person, and I DIDN'T want the InDesign forums merged, but a lot of the voices I heard in favor were from Mac users.

For what it's worth, the main thing I had against the merger was the attitude exhibited by a certain segment of the Mac user population. I've read every post in the old ID Windows forum going back for several years, and I never saw the kind of harsh or abusive treatment given to Mac users who wandered in as I saw when I posted in the old ID Mac forum.

And I'm not sure how your list is supposed to support your point. Some Mac issues, some Windows issues, and a lot of non-specific issues, if you ask me.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, the main thing I had against the merger was the attitude exhibited by a certain segment of the Mac user population.

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like my mac, but it's just a tool, not an identity.

Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the Mac community that more apt to want to get along.

But when a Mac only problem comes up the PC people say we're not interested in you mac guys problems your wasting space. Get the heck off.

I don't care where I get help from. A Mac or PC person (I am a Mac person)  it is the help that is important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cindy- wrote:

These forums are going to be populated with mostly Windows people. If that is what you folks want then so be it. They will really suffer. You may think it is fun that you are winning some kind of point but for the long haul you are not winning friends.

Cindy,

In the InDesign forum the Mac side has traditionally been far more active, at least as far as my observations go, and appears that that way to me now that they are merged.

And what, pray tell, is so bad about Windows people that we couldn't say the same about Mac folk?

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait for it, I can see it now.

I'm having problems with ID in Windows XP. well get a Mac I don't have problems.

or Vise Versa.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a Windows user, but I see the wisdom in keeping the forums separate because of OS issues.

that and the platform wars (stupid in my view) that can clog up the threads so much that potentially good answers might be missed in the fray.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a Windows user, but I see the wisdom in keeping the forums separate because of OS issues.

Smart. See? Not all Windows users don't get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your most likely right. The difference being Mac people will tend to use smileys indicating joking around.

PC people tend to be dead serious about their loahing for the Mac Platform. People haven't away from the silly notion planted in people's head by Bill Gates and crew That You don't do serious work on a Mac, its just a Play toy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grow up.

Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grow up.

Well now wouldn't that be nice in an ideal world. That is really a stupid reply to someone who has come to the right forum to voice their concerns. You just don't like what I am saying so perhaps you need to grow up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cindy. I know it's hard to tell in these forums whom one is replying to but Jay was replying to Phillip, not you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~graffiti wrote:

Cindy. I know it's hard to tell in these forums whom one is replying to but Jay was replying to Phillip, not you.

Only because you can reply to just one post at a time, My comment applies to both Cindy and PJones.   Platform wars are ridiculous.

Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jay Chevako wrote:

Platform wars are ridiculous.

Oh I agree. Haven't even been in one for years now. In fact, I normally deal with both Mac and Win users and only occasionally see a platform war. Definitely not enough to warrant so much stress about the platforms being mixed in one application.

On the other hand, if you have a high-volume forum for an application, sometimes it's good to keep them separate simply because a lot of folks can't fathom that two platforms are in the same forum and don't give enough information about their OS. But of course, that only applies to questions that are specific to the OS...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines