• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

advice for adding storage for Premiere

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I've been editing on Premiere for a long time but always on a computer with a single hard drive. I need more room for media but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm set up on a new Dell desktop so it's too late to configure from scratch. Does anyone know a company that can consult with me on the phone and give advice (i.e., walk me through it), as well as sell me the hardware? Puget Systems does not service clients unless they built the systems themselves. Thanks in advance.

Jorge

TOPICS
CPU , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step 1 is to find out if your specific model Dell will even allow adding another drive... you need to contact Dell for that information

If you have never built or modified a computer, I doubt that phone support will help... you need to go to a place like Best Buy and have them sell you a drive and the work to install the drive

Another option is an external USB3 drive, such as https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-External-docking-station-drives/dp/B00U8KSLA8/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response! My Dell does support another storage drive. They offer an M.2 SSD that holds 512 gigs, but I actually want something bigger. I'm assuming SSD means it is solid state and fast enough for editing. They also offer a 2 TB unit but I'm not sure of the specs on that. I'll have to do some more research on that but unfortunately their sales people didn't seem very knowledgable about video editing. Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any SSD should be fast enough for video editing... yes, more reading will be good

An M.2 drive is a "stick" that is mounted directly on the motherboard, while a "regular" SSD goes in a drive enclosure

Example M.2 https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-500GB-NAND-NVMe-2400MB/dp/B086BGWNY8/

Example SSD https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-1TB-SSD-WDS100T2B0A/dp/B073SBQMCX/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help! I appreciate the guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

AN M2 needs a special slot, so the motherboard needs to be prepared for that. M2 cards have (normally) faster communication with the system as they use a different, newer technology at the communication level.

SSDs have the same form factor than 2.5” laptop drives and connect like classic hard disks. You will need a mounting plate if you mount the disk in a 3.5” enclosure. 3.5” is the standard desktop size.

Hard disks and SSDs will need a cable to go to the motherboard, and they will need a connector to the power supply. Data cables have either a 90° connector or straight connectors, depending on your case and motherboard, you will need either one or the other.

Mounting a hard disk yourself is easy, there is not much wizard's knowledge to have. Connectors only connect one way, and YouTube is full of videos showing how it works.

Changing an M2 storage is a bit more difficult, as the access to the storage might be obstructed.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines