• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Advice on a backup system for 2019

Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2019 Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be reluctant to recommend EaseUS. I'm currently looking for a new solution to do incremental backups of my footage and project drives. EaseUS runs ok for a week or two, then mysteriously fills up, even though I've configured it to only back up one day. I feel I can't depend on it. And customer support is non-existent. The tutorials are only basic. Live chat is never on. I'm looking at Paragon now.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've branched this to a new discussion, as the original thread is six years old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the free version of AOMEI on all of my computers:

https://www.aomeitech.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Grant:

For your media drives, you do not want to do incremental backups.  Regardless of which backup application you choose, incremental backups will always require that the backup drive be much larger than the primary drive.

I always purchase my media dives in pairs, The type and speed of storage is always appropriate for the media being edited.  For one project this might consist of two RAIDs, for another it might just be USB3 mobile drives, and then for another Thunderbolt SSDs; however, they're always pairs: one is the primary storage and the other is the backup.  And, most importantly, the backup is a clone rather than incremental.  A decade or so ago, I used Retrospect Lite, but due to changes on their end, I switched to Carbon Copy Cloner.  It's scheduled to run every evening and send a confirmation email.  The idea behind this approach is that if the primary drive fails for any reason. you just switch to the backup to meet your deadlines with almost no downtime.  Of course, this could be achieved with a RAID5+1 or RAID0+1 configuration as well.  It's really a matter of how healthy your budget is when it comes to those two options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Warren

Yes, I've discovered the incremental backup system is not a fit for video projects. I've not heard of Carbon Copy Cloner. I'll check it out. I'm currently testing SyncBackSE and it's doing the job just the way I want. Mirrored drives that are interchangeable. No restorations. A simple interface that is highly customizable.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carbon Copy Cloner is macOS only.

EaseUS, Acronis makes something that I've heard good things about, and then there's a product from Norton (Norton Ghost?).

Report back on what you find.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carbon Copy Cloner is macOS only.

First time I saw Carbon Copy Cloner in action was when I was working as a QE contractor at Apple on FCP 7. One of the employees showed it to me. It was is go to back up software for mirroring drives.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Macrium Reflect (free). But only for main drive, not media. I just clone. I have successfully rolled back and forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's what I found with SyncBackSE.

First, I'm on Windows 10. I put all my projects on external 4tb drives. One is the working drive. One is the clone. All preview files go on an internal SSD (not the C: drive) to minimize the data transfer through the USB ports. The system works well.

I was looking for a backup utility that would simply examine all the changes I made on my working drive and mirror those changes to the clone and do so while I was dreaming of new uses for star wipes.

With SyncBackSE, the graphical layout may not be as pretty as other programs, but the versatility is outstanding. You can configure the utility to backup, mirror, clone, whatever. Under the profile setup, the directions for the backup are clear. "Files will be mirrored from Source (H:\) to Destination (D:\)" It has conflict resolution and settings for what to do in certain situations. What I really like is the one parameter where it clearly says, "Files only on Source are copied to Destination" and "Files only on Destination are deleted". It's reassuring, particularly in a cloning situation.

Initial clone of a nearly full 4tb drive took about 8 hours on two 7200rpm drives. Almost exclusively video and music.

While I am currently using the evaluation license (30 days), I think there's no question that this will be my system from here on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines