• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AMD Ryzen 7nm coming...

Advocate ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a decent chance that they will outperform intel mainstream chips like the 9900k. Rumored up to 16 cores @ 4-5Ghz.

Does anyone know if Adobe knows why AMD performance is poor in premiere? (talking timeline scrubbing and general snappiness). I hear that AMD works well for resolve, so it not like there's an architecture problem across the board.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There could be 2 things :

1. Amd doesn't have enough market share to warrant spending money on updating the code for them

2. Intel has some deal with Adobe that prevents any other manufacturer of hardware to get proper optimizations

It is strange that some tech that exists for almost a decade is still not used in Adobe, VCE and NVENC, it's what Intel calls Quicksync.

If Adobe would ever consider using VCE or NVENC, then those  8-10-16 cores CPU's would be obsolete, the trend is more GPU and less CPU.

If there is a chance for AMD to outperform Intel in Adobe is only if it just works, i doubt there will ever be a line of code written for AMD, and updates might break any performance advantage AMD has, so you still have to pay premium prices for Intel CPU's.

I hope i am wrong but right now AMD is not even  listed in the requirements for CPU for premiere pro, that is also strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've talked through this with the engineers at NAB ... and the big thing about AMD up until recently is the pipeline within AMD chips just didn't mesh with the type of structure they needed coded. The AMD chips (both CPU and GPU) have been awesome especially for the price in gaming ... but the utilization of both within PrPro is completely different than gaming apps.

Now, things are changing ... and the Adobe engineers are rather happy that AMD is going after meeting the needs of the type of code they use. So ... the idea that they have some thing for Nvidia is not correct. It's been totally a techie thing.

As they go along, and get more familiarity with the AMD code capabilities, we users will get more and better use of the AMD gear in the app ... which will be good, competition being a joy to behold for gear users.

As to the list of supported stuff ... forget that, really. They don't have the time nor put the effort into working with stuff for testing gear, so it's pretty useless. Notice how much Nvidia stuff isn't listed either? Yea ... focus on the overall spec needs.

There are some things that were listed on the PPBM8 website for comparisons of various CPU/GPU parts, that included a number of the newer AMD gear. And also look at the Puget Systems, ADK, and SafeHarbor Computing sites for info and build ideas/models.

Even with Nvidia, most CPU's, even the powerful ones, do not do well comparatively with PrPro. Many mobo's have their "lanes" apportioned to resources in such a way the mobo is one huge logjam by the time we through in massive GPU's, extra m.2 disc cards, Deckling/AJA/Kona cards, the sorts of things that we need in pro video post.

Read through this forum, go to those builder's websites for info and examples ... takes a bit of time to get a good handle on this.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/R+Neil+Haugen  wrote

I've talked through this with the engineers at NAB ... and the big thing about AMD up until recently is the pipeline within AMD chips just didn't mesh with the type of structure they needed coded. The AMD chips (both CPU and GPU) have been awesome especially for the price in gaming ... but the utilization of both within PrPro is completely different than gaming apps.

I have to disagree, companies much smaller like black magic design or Magix who makes Vegas pro have no problem using AMD chips, right now both of these NLE's work flawlessly with powerful GPU's and 32 cores Cpu's, i bet you years will pass and nothing will change for Premiere.

Just check Puget Systems results, Intel will dominate in Adobe no matter how good a CPU AMD can do, switch to another software and you get much faster video stabilization, fast tracking for masks and perfect timeline performance when color grading.

Right now a tablet from apple  ( Ipad pro ) can  cut h.264 4k flawlessly, i guess when we will reach a point when you can do complicated edits on a tablet we might get an upgrade in performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disagree with what? You didn't say anything that actually matched up with my comment. I didn't say anything about the coding of any other video post app, just that for PrPro. Again ... as explained, as the code is written, the AMD chips have until recently not given the Adobe folks what they needed the way their apps were coded. And ... until recently I might add ... no one else's major video post app worked that well on AMD either.

So the folks at the Adobe team are scrambling to play catch up, clearly, and yea, BM has done a good job of working the AMD chips into their system. Which ... I might add ... is a much smaller "ecosystem" than the Adobe one. And they also have the advantage of a smaller company purpose ... BM software exists to sell BM hardware, which is all and only video post.

Adobe is a rather large company with very diverse interests and wishes. The video post section is amazingly small within it for the user base of the programs. But ... and this ticks me off a bit ... doesn't have full control over their own section, nor over their own budgeting. To me, it looks like that company uses PrPro as a financial resource, shall we say?

So it's rather disappointing that the PrPro staff has not had more resources to re-write the app more. Isn't their decision, unfortunately. Resolve has been pretty much completely re-written what, twice in four years, something like that? It's a great colorist grading app ... not a bad editing app and usable for many things there now if not fully as deep as PrPro ... kinda the reverse of PrPro/grading. I hope that progress is giving the upper managers at Adobe something to think about. Maybe give PrPro the budget it (I think) should have.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe not disagree with you but with the engineers at Adobe, every software before ryzen was optimized only for Intel, Davinci Resolve and Vegas pro were both clueless about what to do with Ryzen but look now, years passed and they work.

But let me ask you this, there is a plugin made by some dude to use NVENC made a few years ago, how come not even now premiere hasn't added this ? but quicksync was added

In vegas pro you can use any of the 3, quicksync, VCE from amd or NVENC and guess what, VCE and NVENC are faster and better than quicksync.

In the end i don't really care, i am not tied to this software by "the company" or something like that, i'm am a freelancer so i will probably switch to the next best thing.

What is disappointing is that i and others wasted time learning the software and at some point we need to abandon for another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is all why I do so appreciate competition. Either someone upstairs at Adobe (in this case) shakes some loose change out so they can revamp code ... or people move to someone who does. Which doth tend to inspire changes.

Now, you wanna talk differences in code/UI between ancient and enthroned versus a number of new ideas ... get an Ae user group together, throw in an engineer or two and a QC guy/gal ... and sit back and watch the merriment!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines