• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you build a pc to edit in 4k without a video card?

Contributor ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently the value of video cards are a robbery. In my country you also have to add the cost of taxes (50% more expensive).
Is it possible to build a good pc to edit without a video card?
I ask this because apparently the m1 macbooks (I use windows) edit quite well in 4k without the need for a video card.

I have a BMPCC4k camera.

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Video Hardware forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have an nvidia card, but my Intel i9-10900k CPU in an ASUS-Prime-Z490-P motherboard with 64Gig TEAMGROUP-3200MHz Ram will work to edit video without a card... I don't know how well it will work, but it will work

Just be sure the video driver is up to date from Intel  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/211969/Intel-HD-Graphics-Family

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have an eight or six core CPU without a dedicated GPU you can probably edit 4K BRAW just fine at 1/4 resolution. If you want to edit 4K BRAW at full resolution you will probably need a GPU. Having said that I don't know how good the Intel Alder Lake IGPUs are. They might be impressive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'd say purchase an Apple M1 Mac mini with 16GB of RAM and as much internal storage as fits your budget and start editing.

It's integrated graphics on the M1 by the way and Metal is enabled by default unless you run Premiere Pro using Rosetta.

Assuming you go the intergrated graphics route under Windows, you'll want to take advantage of either the Smart Rendering workflow (Smart rendering in Premiere Pro (adobe.com)) or the Proxy workflow (Basic Premiere Pro editing workflow (adobe.com).  Althoguh, I'd concider either even with a dedicated GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines