Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CPU question

Explorer ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all CPU

I am currently running the hex core Intel I7 5930 extreme CPU and I was wondering if it's worth going a higher. My PC is two years old and I'm looking at adding some extra bits and pieces. I always looking at at the 5960 8 core which I can accommodate on my current motherboard.

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you can get that CPU for significantly cheaper than what the newer i7-7820X (CPU only, not including the required motherboard for LGA 2066) currently costs, I wouldn't bother.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping to just upgrade the processor without upgrading the motherboard and other components so as far as I can see the 5960 is the next processor I can get without changing anything else. This is an octacore processor but you said that's not worth it? At the time when I bought this computer this was all I could afford and the 5930 was one of the better processes I could get.

At the moment I am downscaling 4K to 1080p and don't use proxies. I tend to produce two-minute videos at the longest and so I was wondering is it worth upgrading? I am looking at slowly upgrading my PC so here is my current specs and maybe somebody can point out areas in which the upgrades should go in. I am planning on getting a barracuda 12 TB HD and a 1 TB Samsung SSD as a working drive in the near future but I am looking for advice on the GPU, CPU, motherboardand RAM

my current pc setup is:

Asus X 99 motherboard

5930 hex core extreme CPU

32 GB 2666 MHz RAM

Nvidia 980 TI GPU

single fan water cooling system

can't remember the case but I have got a DVD writer which meant I couldn't have the double fan water cooling system.

2X 500 GB Samsung Evo SSD

1X 4 tb HD

I bought this system from dino PC two years ago and this cost me £2300.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, how much will you be paying for that 5960X? Some sellers want as much money as or more money than the full price of a brand-new i7-7820X, which is why that 5930K to 5960X upgrade might not be worth the current going price because (default-to-default) it still performs slower than a new 7820X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines