• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extra RAM

Engaged ,
Apr 19, 2024 Apr 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I install 128gb of RAM, will I get much of an advantage over 64gb? I wonder if anyone has made that upgrade and can comment.

Workstation in build:

AMD Ryzen 9, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti, 2x2TB  SSD

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2024 Apr 19, 2024

If I install 128gb of RAM, will I get much of an advantage over 64gb? I wonder if anyone has made that upgrade and can comment.

By @m5heath

I upgraded my new HP Z4 G5 (Intel Xeon W5-2465X) to 128GB RAM and did not notice any difference in Premiere Pro. The computer came with 64GB. I edit mostly 1080p and did not expect any advantage either. In After Effects it made a difference, but it was not so big so it made it worth for me and my workflow. I had the money at the moment and was curious...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

For my primary workstations, I have not worked on less than 128GB since 2013.  My current workstation has 192GB.

I usually have Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, Chrome, Safari, Slack and TextEdit open at the same time.

While issues come up now and again, things go smoothly most of the time.

We each work differently, though.  You'll want to take a close look at your current memory usage as you work.  64GB may be sufficient for your workflow.

You might find this page help

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the rest of the computer specs, including hard drives (how many, what kind, what is on each, what capacity, and how full)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have added an edit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @m5heath

I upgraded my new HP Z4 G5 (Intel Xeon W5-2465X) to 128GB RAM and did not notice any difference in Premiere Pro. The computer came with 64GB. I edit mostly 1080p and did not expect any advantage either. In After Effects it made a difference, but it was not so big so it made it worth for me and my workflow. I had the money at the moment and was curious... (or just dumb...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much - just the sort of steer I was hoping for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my primary workstations, I have not worked on less than 128GB since 2013.  My current workstation has 192GB.

I usually have Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, Chrome, Safari, Slack and TextEdit open at the same time.

While issues come up now and again, things go smoothly most of the time.

We each work differently, though.  You'll want to take a close look at your current memory usage as you work.  64GB may be sufficient for your workflow.

You might find this page helpful: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/hardware-recommendations.html

Hardware upgrade priority for Premiere Pro and After Effects is listed at the bottom.

When it comes to posts in this forum that pertain to performance issues, I'd say that the two things most users could benefit from is more RAM and a format that's good for editing.  Well, that and faster storage media, higher capacity storage media, faster processors, more cores, and better displays.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

More good advice for which many thanks - and thanks too for the additional link which I had not seen and added to my knowledge. I am now in a much better position to balance usage with resources. One of my main issues is running 4 main adobe apps, chrome and Vscode at the same time, similar to you, and I want good responsiveness. Very grateful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines