• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GTX 970 and Premiere Pro

Participant ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure,it says Unsupported,but i have a doubt because i'm scared as *BEEEP!* now that i've seen this topic i've been looking for

I own a GTX 660 Ti OC 2GB and it works perfectly with my Premiere Pro CC 2014. However,i was about to buy a GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX 970 until i tought: "Will it work with my Premiere Pro CC 2014?..Better ask".. Been asking and nobody replied to me.

Because i don't want to buy a card that'll NOT WORK AT ALL with my CC 2014!

In other works: If i buy a GTX 970, will it work with Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014 COMPLETELY/FULL POWER, supported or not??

Please reply ASAP!!!

Thanks in advance

DV

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Dec 11, 2014 Dec 11, 2014

Right now the 900 series cards are testing fine  with the MPE engine and acceleration. I have not seen any limitation including effects. So I am not sure where people are running into problems. AE acceleration is ray tracer and on the way outs. Dont expect Nvidia to maintain the version AE left at in the drivers and I would be surprised if any new cards work with it since Adobe is done updating it. Very few use it at this point and C4D with Octane is far better especially for the GPU acceleratio

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 198 Replies 198
LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fascinating, sinuous ... thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sinious: So i've grabbed the laaaatest version from that LONG topic's last post and did as the 1st post said... Go to Premiere/AME plugins-common folders and place that same file in both Premiere/AME folders.

Ofcourse downloaded the mp4box thing and installed it's 64bits version. Then went to premiere, chosen the CUDA Acceleration via hardware thingy as always,placed my BATTLEFIELD 4 23min55sec vid in it,went to File->Export , chosen the Youtube 720p 29,7fps option and sent it to Queue/AME..Went to AME,hit the GO button and it records....kinda normal?,like,the vid's 23min55sec long but it takes 20 minutes still?..

....Am i doing something wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a little confused. I'm on CS5.5 and just picked up the 970 today to replace a 570.

When I first installed and launched PP, it expectedly told me that I had an unsupported GPU and switched to software rendering. I then exited out, did the CUA hack on the CUDA_SUPPORTED_CARDS.TXT file, and when I relaunched, I could select MPE just fine.

I didn't notice any real performance change though yet, although I only spent a few very short minutes working with it. I plan on starting wedding video editing tomorrow where I can better gauge any (subjective) changes.

Current sytem:

• Fractal R4 Case
  • I7 3770k OC to 4.4GHZ
  • Asrock z77 Extreme4 Mobo
  • CM Hyper 212 air cooler
  • Shimian 1440p IPS 27" and BenQ 24" 1080P dual monitor setup, calibrated w/ Datacoler Spyder
  • Zotac GTX970
  • 32GB RAM (4x8 GB Crucial Ballistix)
  • Corsair HX750 Gold
  • Samsung 830 240GB SSD (OS & Apps)
  • Kingston 128GB SSD (Scratch disk)
  • RAID-1 WD Black 2TB (Media drives / working. Once everything is done it goes to my NAS for long term storage)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ntreuter ~ Please read what I said above about the new card. The CUDA SDK required is not supported like your old card was. Not yet at least.

DV2FOX ~ Once you put the plugin in the Plugins/Common folder and restart AME (if it was running), you have a whole brand new export option! NVENC_export! Here is a screenshot of the settings when you click to customize them:

enc3nvencmaxwell.PNG

Note a couple things. First, all those juicy modern CUDA details. It recognizes the GTX 980, 4GB RAM, Compute Level 5.2 and the CUDA driver (6050 NVENC supported).

Second, just above the [OK] button I have "Use Maximum Render Quality" selected. I read that this was important, however I don't know why.

Lastly and probably most importantly, the Multiplexer tab is used to choose your output format because by default it will not mux (mix audio with video). Choose MP4 or MPEG2 (TS). This is where you will see a browse button asking where you installed MP4Box. Point it directly to the installed executables location Mp4Box.exe. Or if you choose MPEG2 then choose the location of TsMux and point to the (non GUI) executable. Then head over to the Audio tab (if you want AAC audio and you downloaded the NeroAACEncoder) and select AAC, again hitting the browse button to choose the location of NeroAacEnc.exe. Adjust your audio quality to taste.

Jump back to the video tab and for the most part don't worry too much about these settings. Just scroll all the way down to find basic resolution/fps/bitrate controls and adjust them to taste.

Hit [OK], choose where to save your file and hit the Play (go) button in AME.

Now change your underwear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2014 Dec 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sinious

That NVENC thing you linked is pretty nifty!

Got it working with a GTX 660ti, and it was much faster! Unfortunately the audio doesn't render in sync, is off by about a second. Wondering if you knew anything about how to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't use MP4Box and NeroAAC to make a mux'd MP4, etc, you will have a video file and a separate audio file. You can then use any video app (Premiere, After Effects, VirtualDub (free), etc) to combine them. They should handle the resampling.

The newest SDK has a kep/max CUDA emphasis so just check the type of CUDA you have to be sure it supports the new SDK.

I literally used that plugin to encode 2 hours ago. Still works perfect several nVidia driver updates later

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are you suggesting to render it out with NVENC, then re render it to fix the sound?

I tried using MP4box and Nero to mux it. Worked great except for the audio sync issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The speed of output is so crazy fast it may be worth it, especially automated. The big question is how compatible with the NVENC encoder your card is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 10, 2014 Dec 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ntreuter...

I have the GTX 570 and a system a bit like you. (better CPU, twice as much RAM, RAID for data, SSD for system). I consider upgrading to the GTX 970 - mostly for better playback during editting. When playing back with fx. Magic Bullet Looks in PPro CC2014

I have to use 1/2 resolution for having almost fluid playback...Adding any other effects will make it stutter...My CPU is only on 10-15%, my disks 5-10 % so I guess it must be the GPU???

Do you have any experineces with your upgrade from 570 to 970 you would like to share? Good or bad? Is it better playing back, rendering etc or is it not worth the money?

Morten

My system:

Operating System

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40GHz

RAM:  64,0GB

Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79-E WS (LGA2011)

Graphics: 1279MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Hard Drives:

3726GB Western Digital WDC WD4001FAEX-00MJRA0 (SATA)

3726GB Western Digital WDC WD4001FAEX-00MJRA0 (SATA)

224GB KINGSTON SH100S3240G (SSD)

2794GB FUJITSU MARVELL Raid VD (SATA)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record here:

nearly 8-9 minutes to encode my BATTLEFIELD 4 vid at 720p 29,97FPS wich lasts 23min5#sec

....Yes,i changed my undies after knowing i needed also the AAC NERO thing...Finally,BACK INTO ACTION!!! until official Adobe fix

Ofcourse,THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2014 Oct 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DV2FOX ~ You should grab GPU-Z (google it, billion of links) and check GPU usage when you encode. When you don't use NVENC_encode you will see your GPU sit dormant around 0% and your CPU go nuts. Now choose NVENC_encode and watch. Is your CPU still pegging out? I find on my old i5-2500k (Sandy Bridge) w/ 16GB DDR3 rig that I no longer peg the CPU out at 100% but hover in the 80% range while only actually getting the GPU to 50%. One good thing to note is I maintain 80% CPU usage but can get the GPU up to 70% if I concurrently encode 2 videos:

enc3nvencmaxwellDUAL.PNG

So my problem is I'm nearing max RAM (I have other stuff open) and my CPU is my bottleneck. Of course, it's years old and the GTX 980 is a monster. Now I need to get an Intel Haswell LGA2011v3 hex-core with hyperthreading and quad channel DDR4 to put the bottleneck back on the GPU. That'd be a much more fair fight for "who's the bottleneck now??". That will probably cut my encoding time down to 20 seconds (or less, from 10 minutes!).

So what CPU are you using? If it's actually older than mine then you're going to be much happier upgrading CPU/mobo/mem because you should see much more than a mere 23min to 9min reduction. That's a little better than double speed. I wonder why you're not getting better performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO GEN3

Intel i5-2500K @ 3,3Ghz Stock (NO OC)

8GB DDR3 1333mhz RAM

Nvidia GIGABYTE GTX 970 4GB DDR5 G1 GAMING

SSD 250GB SAMSUNG 840 EVO (OS,some games...)

HDD 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM (FRAPS recordings + TV Recordings)

Windows 7 64bits Home Premium

I'll show you the encoding later due to record from the TV with the PC and...it must stay untouchable to prevent dramas ^^;;...

I plan to upgrade my Tower's insides in April 2015 when Intel's SKYLAKE gets released with DDR4 Motherboards and stuff...This baby can resist some more time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, 8GB system RAM (you can see AME on my rig taking 11.3GB). I had a couple browser tabs open but that's it as I wanted to get a useful screenshot of true Adobe Media Encoder CC 2014 itself for CPU/GPU/RAM. So that plays a role. Also the 970 is very fast but does have less CUDA cores so that explains some as well. The final piece I believe is the single HD. I did forget to mention that I cleared the 2GB video source a large sequential block to write to so reading would be as fast a possible, and I'm writing to a different drive. Reading and writing to the same SATA HD will hurt performance.

If you want to play with tweaking until April, DDR3 1333 is dirt cheap so adding another dual channel pair in there might help a ton (don't hold me to it). It's always nice having more than enough RAM to just "do more" at once anyhow. Also if you have another drive (even external USB), read from one, write to a different drive. Your south bridge will easily handle that and you'll see a noticable performance bump on anything SATA. (SSD read/writes instantly regardless of sequential or not so this won't help in a SSD situation).

Don't forget to abuse more CUDA cores and run a concurrent test (2 videos at once). We have the same processor so RAM aside, you might find they both encode at the same exact speed as a single video (which is almost what mine does).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

n4QKY55.jpg

Hope this helps somehow...

But yeah,might be nice about the RAM upgrade,i'll think about it..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha I bet you're used to pegging out that CPU. Look how bored the i5-2500k is now! You can encode 2 files at once and it's only half utilized because CUDA is doing all the work.

I think 8GB is hurting you from that. Another thing that plays a factor here is I'm doing 1920x1080p@24fps video while you're doing 1280x720@29.97fps. I'm also encoding from a Quicktime Animation lossless format which requires has extremely low overhead (or BitJazz SheerVideo which is even faster).

Your bottleneck rests squarely in the single HD and RAM areas, your CPU is bored and you're only pushing the GPU to 30%. I would say add 4 videos at once but that will require more RAM and it will thrash your HD bottleneck even worse so unfortunately you can't take advantage of concurrent encodes without solving the single HD issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 04, 2014 Oct 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now i see something you don't always see nowadays...And also now i see why that link with the Premiere solution (MP4Box etc) says "Use it at your own risk"

Using CCCP (Codec pack) for years and almost nothing bad happened until i did the premiere fix. Very few of my MKV files (mainly), that's a 2 of a dozens or even more (say,15% chance?)  just played with a Green Screen with half of the video not seen but instead replaced with GREENNESS... That's a codec fault!.. I tried uninstalling both CCCP and MP4BOX ,rebooted and then installing CCCP ,reboot and play the same file...SAME PROBLEM!..

Until i googled the hell out of google and found a tiny solution...Gotta change MPC (Media Player Classic)'s View->Options-> Playback's Output->DirectShow Video from Enhanced Video Renderer (Custom Presenterer) to...Something else,like Video Mixing Renderer 9,wich disables something called DXVA... close the video and open it again and the problem is GONE...

I don't know why this has to happen though...I hope whenever Adobe fixes the GPU stuff i can format my PC (Unless there's a "Delete all video/audio codecs in the PC" clean up tool...There is?,would save hours of time from format) ,reinstall the CCCP codecs  ONLY so that 100% of my MKV (and other format) videos WORKS 100% while KEEPING Adobe's GPU fixes stuff for our premieres n stuff

Just a heads-up for whoever wants to try the hacking/modding of premiere with Sinious' method,don't be surprised later!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2014 Oct 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have over 400 HD MKVs (made via AnyDVD HD/Handbrake). I used MainConcept on all of them (not x264). I gave up after starting 62 of them, randomly skipping around. No issue at all.

I believe by default NVENC_encode uses a flavor or x264 or DivX. Did you encode to x264? If so, there's the best bead on that conflict.

Edit:

Since it was slightly relevant and I was just mentioning MainConcept H.264 in MKV, I did receive an official response from the MainConcept engineering team that they have no plans to include support for Kepler or Maxwell (or any future CUDA cores) right now. I originally received that response from someone lower down the food chain but she said she would send it to the actual engineers to double check. The response was:

Re: 00272429: CUDA support (Keplar, Maxwell, etc)

MainConcept SDK Support customer.care@mainconcept.com

Hello Jason,

At the moment we have no plans on our roadmap for CUDA improvements.

Best regards,

Ivan Andryushin

Customer Care Team

MainConcept GmbH

Elisabethstrasse 1

52062 Aachen, Germany

Email: customer.care@MainConcept.com

Web:   http://www.MainConcept.com/

[ ref:00D4N2Ps.5004eQRW3:ref ]

So I hope Adobe takes note of this since it's a popular choice mainstream codec. NVENC SDK is a shame to neglect.

Please also note that just because MP4Box or TsMuxer was your issue, those are completely separate mux applications (mix audio and video). They have nothing to do with if you use NVENC_encode or not. Removing that plugin from AME or Premiere will not fix your MKV issue any more than it will cause it.

The plugin author of NVENC_encode was simply trying to be complete with their solution. There are dozens of muxing applications on the market, most aren't free but some are. The author chose some free utilities and integrated with them just to save you some steps. If you choose to use NVENC_encode and a different mux application it will generate the 2 files you need, the .m4v and the uncompressed .wav. So you can still benefit from NVENC_encode speed and mux with your preferred application that doesn't interfere with x264/DivX. (you can have your cuda cake and eat it too)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 05, 2014 Dec 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is now a big conversation about the support of the GTX 970 on PP CC going on. Most of it is about the export of media not the actual workflow within in PP like the GPU helping in effects such as color correction, scaling and etc. during playback. sinious and Whitehorsevideo how is your experience on that?

Best,
Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2014 Dec 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the above linked plugin, I just exported a video yesterday encoded to MP4. It helped a ton with the encode time. I'm still making edits to a short 3min 20sec video and my usual workflow would be to export the video full quality (I use bitjazz's SheerVideo lossless) and then bring it into Sorenson Squeeze to compress it which would be about a 15 minute job. Right now I just encode directly from Premiere using NVENC_encode in under 1 minute and the results are very good. The difference is in what Sorenson Squeeze does best, optimize keyframes and overall file size. I drop a few megs and clean up just a few scene change detected keyframes with SS over direct NVENC export. So for draft rounds (of which there's tons for me) this export has been a huge helper.

I don't want the essence of the new CUDA cores to go unknown however. They were designed from the ground up to be "general purpose" computational power. No longer are they only cores great at SIMD processing. So there's no reason every software vendor should only use them for encoding. They should be used for computing everything possible from 3d, lighting, filters and compositing, etc. They will substantially increase the applications responsiveness and playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2014 Dec 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on that matter?
I'm building a new workstation and  already ordered GTX970 but after reading all this I consider Cancel my order.

Any official response on that matter?

Does AE and Premiere support GTX 970/980 or any Maxwell Cuda? it's a simple question...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should always check a products system requirements and support page. For example, for Premiere:

System requirements | Adobe Premiere Pro

No, it does not currently support Maxwell. However that doesn't mean the GPU speed and RAM aren't utilized in general. While the CUDA cores are only utilized with any codec (almost zero) that supports Maxwell from the new nVidia SDK, the applications also need to make use of the SDK themselves. Be sure you understand an application utilizing the cores and encoding using the cores are 2 completely separate processes. Adobe would only be able to add in application level performance using Maxwell CUDA. It's not their responsibility to add in support to encoding. If you weren't aware of it, codecs, used to encode, are almost all designed by a company and licensed for use. An example is MainConcept who has a H.264 codec and assured they are not interested in updating it for Maxwell. Thus you will never see a performance increase encoding to that format beyond what your CPU can do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Sinious, I appreciate a lot your explanation!

1. Why do you think would MainConcept chose not to update for Maxwell? what's the logic behind it?

2. when you were writing about Encoding- did you just mean encoding for export or also for playback in timeline? because that's important to me not less than export encoding..

3. I have a Dell workstation at work with 6-core xeon and Quadro K4000. I just realize that I just cannot get realtime Playback even without any effects on the footage (1080P MOV png).
-When I set the project to use Cuda acceleration I do get the Yellow stripe on the timeline but after 2 seconds the playback get's very choppy and many frames drops.
-When I set the project to use Software only things looks exactly the same (just without the yellow stripe, it's red now..) playback is choppy and the weird thing is that the CPU usage stays on 10% max...
something is just not working right there..
any idea how to solve this issue?

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yondon ~

1) It's up to the vendor to decide if they wish to continue maintaining any specific codec. MainConcept doesn't feel it's important to their future. They're probably simply putting their development dollars into something else. That said, there are some vendors who have h.264 encoders that support the 980 and are designed to leverage it, for example (I have not used this codec nor am I recommending it, just an example😞

High performance CUDA H264 Codec

2) Yes, encoding as in "compressing" the final video. Not "application" performance. That's why I said "the applications also need to make use of the SDK themselves". And this is what most of us actually want. We want fast previews, accelerated filters, etc. At the moment, Adobe does not utilize Maxwell CUDA for any of that. Keep in mind, this generation of CUDA was designed with "general purpose" computing power in mind. That is fairly brand new. Previously there was a very limited way to utilize GPU power. GPUs are great at graphics but they are not a "general purpose" processor like a "CPU" is. Therefore there was limited interest in spending time trying to utilize the small amount of the GPU that was usable for application performance. Maxwell can be utilized much more like a CPU core now, so we hope vendors will start to use the cores for "application" performance.

Just keep in mind, what I mean by "encoding" is exporting and compressing the final video. "Application" performance is how the application is utilizing the GPU to speed up editing, previews, filters, 3D, lighting, pixelshading, etc.

3) My guess would be if you have a gigantic PNG sequence your hard drive is your bottleneck. It simply can't keep up with reading a huge amount of small files. You'd do yourself a big favor encoding those into a real video so you can utilize your GPU decoders for playback. If you need transparency then you can use something lossless but encoded like Quicktime Animation Millions+ (RGBA). Open up your resource monitor during PNG playback and while you see your CPU bored at 10% you'll probably see your HD at max.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now the 900 series cards are testing fine  with the MPE engine and acceleration. I have not seen any limitation including effects. So I am not sure where people are running into problems. AE acceleration is ray tracer and on the way outs. Dont expect Nvidia to maintain the version AE left at in the drivers and I would be surprised if any new cards work with it since Adobe is done updating it. Very few use it at this point and C4D with Octane is far better especially for the GPU acceleration.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric,

thanks for the input. but obviously people having trouble with the 970/980 cards. you can find few posts regarding that issue.
in general do you think that the gtx970 with less cuda cores and "only" 256bit memory could be good if not better than the gtx780 with more cuda core and 384bit memory? like the situation with games?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines