• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GTX 970 and Premiere Pro

Participant ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure,it says Unsupported,but i have a doubt because i'm scared as *BEEEP!* now that i've seen this topic i've been looking for

I own a GTX 660 Ti OC 2GB and it works perfectly with my Premiere Pro CC 2014. However,i was about to buy a GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX 970 until i tought: "Will it work with my Premiere Pro CC 2014?..Better ask".. Been asking and nobody replied to me.

Because i don't want to buy a card that'll NOT WORK AT ALL with my CC 2014!

In other works: If i buy a GTX 970, will it work with Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014 COMPLETELY/FULL POWER, supported or not??

Please reply ASAP!!!

Thanks in advance

DV

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Dec 11, 2014 Dec 11, 2014

Right now the 900 series cards are testing fine  with the MPE engine and acceleration. I have not seen any limitation including effects. So I am not sure where people are running into problems. AE acceleration is ray tracer and on the way outs. Dont expect Nvidia to maintain the version AE left at in the drivers and I would be surprised if any new cards work with it since Adobe is done updating it. Very few use it at this point and C4D with Octane is far better especially for the GPU acceleratio

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 198 Replies 198
Jan 17, 2015 Jan 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I just bought my EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC and installed it into my PC (specs below). I did everything i could possibly do, like editing the cuda support file, selecting MEP(Cuda) in preferences, updating my drivers and even installing the CUDA Toolkit that nVidia provides. I can't find any way to make my GPU work! Exporting a 5min video with warp stabilizer took me 17min ! Can someone explain me how they got their GPUs working? (BTW, using Premiere Pro CC 2014.1 and 347.09 driver)

PC Specs

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k Cuad-Core (4.2 GHz OC)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb 1600 MHz
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250 Gb
HDD: Western Digital Green 1Tb
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC
Power Supply: Carsair RM1000 1000w 80plus GOLD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please refrain from double posting.

Adjust your user expectations. See Tweakers Page - What video card to use? and Tweakers Page - Exporting Style

Exporting is a CPU matter. The video card is hardly used, if at all. With the limited memory, only quad core CPU and a lacking disk setup even rendering of accelerated effects for preview will not use the full potential of this video card. It is overkill in such a system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure to run latest CC and nvidia versions. Rest will work by itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2015 Jan 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As cc_merchant stated, your system is a bit underpowered, especially in the disk and RAM department. The typical single 1TB WD Green hard drive cannot sustain even 100 MB/sec on the outer tracks unless you happen to own one of the more recent models. And check your HDD access lamp the next time you export a 5-minute video with Warp Stabilizer: If it stays constantly and brightly lit during that entire time, your disk setup is to blame. Both the CPU and GPU are waiting for the WD Green disk to catch up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran the same Test, but changed the setup just a bit.

First, I removed the GPU, and ran the same export, same effects, same settings. Took around 18min, that's within margin of error

Then, I re-installed the gpu and moved the 5min clip to a separate 256gb 850 PRO I had around. I also set the export location to that same SSD, took 15min

I saw some videos showing that you can triple export speeds using CUDA for encoding, Is that true? Because cc_merchant's post is misleading in that regard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the grey 'Beware' box here: Tweakers Page - What video card to use?

What is misleading about that? IMO Harm explained it pretty good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2015 Feb 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill Gerhke wrote this in a previous comment here:

"I am not sure about all the problems this thread is seeing but with my GTX 970 SC I am getting absolutely great results.  Here is documentation to show 99% usage when I export the PPBM MPEG2-DVD timeline with GPU acceleration.  With my specific computer with CPU only it takes about 500 seconds to export that timeline and with the GTX 970 using CUDA hardware acceleration it takes 27 seconds.  Using the much more complex H.264 timeline with the CPU only it takes about 900 seconds and with the GTX 970 hardware acceleration it takes 88 seconds."

According to this, GPU does help with export times a LOT. Or am I misunderstanding something?

So please let me know, does it help or does it not?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2015 Feb 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The GPU can help it just depends on what you are doing.

For Instance when exporting a HD sequence to MPEG2-DVD (or 4k to HD) you are scaling the resolution and that is GPU assisted feature.  If you are using MPE assisted effects it helps and the more MPE assisted effects you use the more it will help during export.  On the other hand if you do not have any MPE accelerated effects in your timeline how could it help?  Rarely does it help with third party plug-ins.

In our PPBM benchmark were we want to really test the hardware, we may have exaggerated usage of the MPE accelerated effects and features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I think I get it now. I would have one more question if you don't mind. If I understand correctly, the maxwell based nvidia cards aren't supported by Premiere Pro yet. But then how were you able to use the 970 to rendering acceleration? I am planning to buy one, but until it is not supported, I of course won't do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My GTX 970 works well for most all of the MPE accelerated features and effects even without any special efforts to make it work.  It is just plug and play.  My GTX 970 exports the PPBM 7-layer H.264 with some 4K content  timeline faster than my GTX 780 SC

See Staff Member Todd Kopriva's comments

I would guess that until Adobe releases one of the next major upgrades of Premiere that you will not see the GTX 900 series on the list because nVidia left out the Optix library on these Maxwell GPUs, which is necessary for accelerating ray-traced 3D compositions.  Therefore the current Premiere 8 cannot say it is 100% supported.  This function in Premiere is being de-emphasised  by Adobe in favor of better methods.technique.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2015 Mar 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, then I guess I can go ahead and pick one up.

Thank you very much for your answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill's first comment in his reply is really the key ... "it depends ... "

Some effects are very GPU-intensive in their "math". Many aren't. Those that aren't typically don't get sent through the GPU when exporting to a new file, and so ... for many timelines, there may be a part of the timeline where the GPU suddenly gets involved ... and the rest of the time, mostly ... sits there. Having a hot GPU isn't any magic bullet, it's just part of the toolset. Having the world's greatest framing nail-gun isn't of any use when you're hanging drywall/sheet-rock ... very similar concept.

Bill's PPBM testing will determine how well a system works in total ... and yes, part of that will rag out the GPU ... but other parts of that render won't. It's designed to test both the GPU-assisted work and the non-GPU-assisted work within PrPro, AE, & Sg.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case, there are a few things to check.

1) Are you sure that you disabled the integrated Intel HD Graphics on the CPU?

2) If you left the integrated Intel graphics enabled, did you have the primary monitor connected to the graphics card? Or is the primary monitor connected to the onboard graphics port on the motherboard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 06, 2015 Feb 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I disabled the HD4600 GPU and I do have the monitor plugged in into the HDMI port on the back of the card.

Updated drivers and Premiere, still no success. It does show the option for GPU or "CUDA" rendering, but export times seem to be the same. Right now, I think we shouldleave this to Adobe to figure out an update to let us, the users, leverage the computational power of tthe GTX 970. Also checked to have CUDA enabled on the nVidia control pannel and sure enough, it was enabled, so that's not the cause

Until then, we'll have to deal with what we have...

ALSO, I tested the NVENC_export program, again, no success. Says "Unknown Error" and Premiere shuts down. To be honest, I never thought of that mod to be a sustainable fix, but well, it was worth the shot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2015 Feb 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DEAR ADOBE Please activate Ray Trace / CUDA for after effects and Premeire Pro for my GTX 970m and 970...that is all thank you bye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 18, 2015 Feb 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Al,

DEAR ADOBE Please activate Ray Trace / CUDA for after effects and Premeire Pro for my GTX 970m and 970...that is all thank you bye

That's something we cannot do because Maxwell GPUs do not work with the OptiX Library in the same way as previous NVIDIA GPUs did, which makes it impossible to accelerate ray-traced 3D compositions. Sorry!

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i have the GTX 970 G1 from Gigabyte and it does not work well with Premiere Pro CS6, i am looking forward to upgrade to CC and see if works.

Basically the latest NVIDIA drivers make the Premiere Crash and also it makes impossible to work PPCS6 with multiple monitors (Crash even more).

And i dont know what happens with the H264 codec, it simple dont do anything when trying to render. I did rollback for the old drivers and now i can edit and the previews are fast, but only my CPU is beeing used for render and GPU is idle.

And yes, CUDA is enable on project settings, so if your Premiere is a critical matter, wait for some good news before buy the GTX 970.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but my GTX 970 works like a charm with both CS6 and Premiere 8.2.0.65.  H.264 is no problem at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 09, 2015 Jun 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, how I would like to be able to say that MPE works with PP CC without issues and warnings...

The message I get on opening an existing file that was previously edited with a NVIDA GTX 580

Photoshop, Encore have no issues although After Effect comes up with a warning the GPU is untested and unsupported for CUDA acceleration, but allows it to be selected.  However, opening PP CC and selecting "New Project" it allows MPE GPU Acceleration to be selected and subsequent opening of existing projects.

Also, it appears when rendering the GPU is now more active than what was the case with the GTX 580, as well almost twice as fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2015 Jun 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not long swapped out a GTX570 for a GTX970 for no other reason than needing to drive more than two screens.  This is with a 3930K in a GA-X79-UD5 (F13) with 32Gb RAM.  I had some issues reinstalling Windows getting repeated BSDs until I managed to replace the original chipset driver with the latest from the Gigabyte site.  It was been running fine since then.

I have not tried it with PremPro or AE yet, and so far only have CC 2014 Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Bridge and Acrobat installed.  The system is crisp and I thought everything was OK, but today noticed that Perspective Warp was greyed out in Photoshop CC 2014, and that Preferences > Performance > Advanced would only let me use the Basic setting.  Other than Perspective Warp, I can't find anything else that does not work OK, and I got round PW by splitting the faces and transforming them individually.

I'm running 353.06, Windows 7 Pro.

Capture.PNG

Any thought on a Windows or Nvidia Control Panel setting that would enable Preferences > Performance > Advanced > Advanced?

Sorry this is mainly a Photoshop question, but I don't know a bunch of people as clued up as you guys with this sort of thing, anywhere else on the planet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting,

These are my settings in Photoshop CC 2014 2.2 it has been this way, with the exception of "OpenCL" which only became available after updating the driver software in the 'Device Manager'.

However, before checking the settings in Photoshop, after replacing the GTX 580 only yesterday afternoon, I was more concerned as to what was happening in Premier Pro, it took a few hours to get things working.  Also, I had to manually activate CUDA under "TechPowerUp" application. After that I observed one could overcome the PP issue of starting with an existing file by simply selecting "New Project" and selecting 'MPB GPU acceleration' and then opening an existing project.

Obviously the sequence of events was more by trial and failure, rather than a planned... ;-(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MPE is on CUDA for me in Premiere and Photoshop has all the options too for me:

pscc.PNG

gpu.png

So, I'm a dev grunt with little need for uber color accuracy, but I would like to tick off this 30 bit (10 bit per color) checkbox, because, well, it's there. My only problem is I have no idea if my old display (most likely not) supports 30 bit. Or more to the point, I've read many older displays use LG panels which say they're 30bit but use 8 bit + FRC. I have an old 30" Dell (3007WFP) which is said to handle it in 10 bit per color but is actually 8 bit + AFRC. I also have (I believe the first generation) 30" Apple cinema display.

I guess what I wouldn't want to happen is to continuously send 10bit per color when I'm making the monitor jump through hoops to faux the display. Can anyone school me on the dangers of flipping that switch or figuring out if it's even worth it? Sure, I look at code all day, but I spend a lot of time in Photoshop cutting up pretty pictures for the code. And I have a half dozen DSLRs and touch pictures up quite a bit so, anyone know about either of these displays? I've looked quite a bit at every review and the manufacturers specs and I can't find a single thing mentioned about color bit depth. Which is probably my answer (it doesn't support it).

But hey, CUDA is rawrin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it's a non issue as I have a 10 bit color monitor (EIZO CG211, now somewhat dated) and clients who can see more colors than I.

Since I have always been under the impression this would be handled by the GPU card I didn't give it much consideration.

Hopefully someone here will chime in and enlighten us?

Cheers,

Michael 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will find the the GeForce GTX series of graphics cards do not support 30-bit output.  For that you will have to install a Quadro card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, well I still have my old Quadro FX 3800 and one empty slot, wonder if both will work at the same time...

Cheers

Michael 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines