• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hardware upgrade options for Premiere Pro

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for some advice to upgrade my laptop to improve PP playback performance. I did my research but unfortunately http://ppbm8.com/ is not available (does anyone know if it will become online?) so I don't have much data to use for comparison.

I bought a new gaming laptop (i7-8750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB, 250GB PCIe SSD, 2TB HDD), the performance was ok but the screen color accuracy was not suitable for my needs and I really missed my Trackpoint so I had to return it. Now I'd like to see if there's a way to upgrade/optimize my old config instead of buying a completely new one and still improve the performance. The newest generation of 6 core Intel CPUs are not available yet in the Thinkpads/Dell Precisions in my country (or only for an extraordinary price) and I'm not sure if the previous generation would give me a significant performance boost for the money.

The config I have - Thinkpad W530 - I7 3740QM, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 2 TB SATAIII HDD (Storage)+500 GB SATAIII HDD (Project files, Scratch), 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA SSD (Os+apps, Media Cache) (this machine has only SATAII interface for this card), Quadro K2000M

What I would like to improve mainly is the playback performance - 4K 60 FPS content from Panasonic GH5 with resize/crop/moderate effects (currently the playback is very choppy even at 1/4) and the import time as well.

My tips for improvement (based on this article)
- keep the 250 GB mSATA SSD for OS + apps
- swap the smaller HDD to a 500GB SSD for Project files, Scratch, & Media Cache
- keep the 2 TB HDD for Storage
- possibly add 16GB RAM

Do you think these changes would improve the import time and most importantly the playback performance? Another additional option is swapping the storage HDD also to an SSD, a higher cost with a 2TB SSD but I'm willing to invest if that shows further improvement.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kbalage  wrote

- keep the 250 GB mSATA SSD for OS + apps
- swap the smaller HDD to a 500GB SSD for Project files, Scratch, & Media Cache
- keep the 2 TB HDD for Storage
- possibly add 16GB RAM

I'd start with that.

What is the processor speed?

You will need to have the laptop plugged in the power adapter to get the maximum processor speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The CPU runs at 2.7 Ghz, I have it in a docking station most of the time with best performance power option set.

I'm missing mostly the ppb8 site to check the uploaded results and compare.. I'm still not sure if the SSD swap(s) would give me a visible performance increase regarding the playback performance and how would that compare to a complete HW upgrade with a new CPU, e.g. a 7th gen i7-7920HQ or a 8th gen i7-8850H.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kbalage  wrote

I did my research but unfortunately http://ppbm8.com/ is not available (does anyone know if it will become online?)

Somebody might be able to upload it to Dropbox for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines