• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hopefully finding a GPU to work on older machine that Premiere Pro and Photoshop will be okay with

Participant ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded my machine from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I had stopped CC updates so I remained on older versions of Premiere Pro and Photoshop while on Windows 7, and now they're all updated since I'm now on Windows 10.

I have an HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Tower. I'm told power supply is 320w. Has no available power connectors (unless I use a splitter, of course). Has an SSD and two HDDs. Takes PCIe-16. CPU is i7, 32 GB RAM.

Has a GeForce GT 630 in it now.

Premiere Pro says the current GeForce GT 630 is supported but that it won't be with the next version release soon (so I turned off auto updates).

Photoshop doesn't like that it doesn't have DirectX 12, which it says it needs.

Speaking to a tech at EVGA, he determined that the GeForce GTX 1050 might work. It's on the Premiere Pro list of currently supported GPUs.

Or the GeForce GTX 1050Ti but it needs power, meaning I'd use a splitter. (It says it wants total system power tobe about 300w).

Assuming the GTX 1050 or 1050Ti will work with the machine's specs (and power with the Ti), any idea how much it's likely to keep Premiere Pro and Photoshop happy with the current versions? (And with perhaps, say, about six more months of updates if you care to guess?)

And how bad is it to keep using the GeForce GT 630 for now if I stop updates of Premiere Pro and Photoshop? (Again, the current version of Premiere Pro says it's okay with it, and it seems fine with basic testing I did. And while Photoshop says it wants a better card because it's currently seeing DirectX 11 and needs DirectX 12, I don't know when or how I'd ever do anything that's all that demanding and Photoshop so far seems to be working fine with basic testing.

Any other suggestions for a GPU to get me through for about six months with current Premiere Pro and Photoshop? (And maybe updates?)

Note that I'm not doing any high-end work with either app. (And in 3-6 months I'll have new machines.)

Thanks so much!

Jay

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023
quote If you only have a 300 w power supply you can't get more than 145 hz. Otherwise you will get a lot of computer hangs and have to reboot."

By @JayNewWeb

The specs for that card only require a 300W power supply.   The card uses 75W.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/graphics-cards/geforce-gtx-1050-ti/specifications/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop so far seems to be working fine with basic testing.......

...... to get me through for about six months with current Premiere Pro and Photoshop?

By @JayNewWeb

If it works now, and you have updates turned off, you can probably get by until the new machines arrive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

I found a new GeForce GTX 1050Ti on Amazon. It will arrive tomorrow. And NVIDIA's site does list a current (Sept) driver download for it. Seems to not use separate 6-pin power, just MB power.

Assuming it works, and I re-enable auto-updates, if an update occurs that results in either app no longer liking the GPU can I revert to the prior version of that app? Or should I leave auto-update off anyway to be safe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it works, and you are still planning to get a new machine soon, leave it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean if the 1050Ti works leave auto-update off, correct? (Not that if the current 630 works leave the 1050Ti off.) Correct?

A review on Amazon says this about the 1050Ti:
"This is a awesome video card. If you only have a 300 w power supply you can't get more than 145 hz. Otherwise you will get a lot of computer hangs and have to reboot."

Any idea what that means to me, and how to not ask the card for more than 145 hz? (If that's even a thing?) (Again, a tech at EVGA said the model of my computer's power supply is 320w.)

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean if the 1050Ti works leave auto-update off, correct? (Not that if the current 630 works leave the 1050Ti off.) Correct?

By @JayNewWeb

Correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote If you only have a 300 w power supply you can't get more than 145 hz. Otherwise you will get a lot of computer hangs and have to reboot."

By @JayNewWeb

The specs for that card only require a 300W power supply.   The card uses 75W.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/graphics-cards/geforce-gtx-1050-ti/specifications/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. I saw those specs, too. So, I should be good.

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. icon_smile.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed now and it's all working perfectly.

Thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

icon_biggrin.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I may before we exist stage right on this topic...

I'm thinking I might want to periodically let it install Premiere Pro and Photoshop updated but only in the morning right after having done a full-system image backup overnight the previous night, so if it no longer likes the card I can restore the system from the image backup right away.

There's probably little downside in that because I'm using proven Acronis optical media running Linux that I boot off of to run the image backup (or restore) and I've restored from it successfully a number of times in the past.

Yet there's the considerable time waiting the whole day for a restore to complete before I can go back to work if I do end up needing it because the update no longer liked the card, and I suppose tiny risk in restoring from backup.

I can assess those variables on my own.

The thing I don't have a clue about is the likelihood that doing or not doing an update of either app is likely to benefit or hamper my workflow in any way over, say, the next 6-12 months. I can only tell you that I have been doing relatively minor video editing/export work to date. And very little of any consequence with Photoshop.

I know you suggested just ignoring updates until I get a new machine, but that was when I asked about reverting to a prior version of Premiere Pro and Photoshop if needed. Now I'm pointing out that I do frequent image backups and can restore the system from that if needed. Maybe reverting to a prior version is easy and smooth for all I know, though, and you just advised against dealing with any of that because updating just won't matter much.

Thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's not broken, I usually don't fix it.

But like you, I do make system images occasionally.  I have used Acronis in the past successfully, but I now use the free AOMEI Backupper.  I use an old free version because the new free versions don't allow mounting an image as a drive to retrieve specific files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree, subscribing to the "if it ain't broke" doctrine is almost always the wisest way to proceed... or to not proceed, and I do try to do that whenever I can keep my OCD tendencies in check.

What I can't measure is the potential for meaningful bug fixes and/or basic improvements with an update. Someone on the Premiere Pro forum (where I started this -- before the mod moved it to Video Hardware right away, and appropriately so) suggested that the upcoming Premiere Pro update to 24.0 is coming next month.

For me, if I can gain any processing speed, it's worth it to try the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines