• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How good are the AMD graphics cards for video editing in Adobe Premiere Pro?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2024 Jul 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

I have a question. I have been dissatisfied with my RTX 3060 12GB for the past few months (I had the same experience using Premiere with the GTX 1660). I am also not happy with my NVIDIA graphics card in other scenarios. Therefore, I am considering building my next PC not only with an AMD CPU, but also with an AMD GPU. I am thinking about a setup with a Ryzen 5 7600X or Ryzen 7 7700X, 64GB of RAM and an RX 7600XT.

For those of you who have experience with AMD GPUs in Premiere, could you please tell me how well they perform? I heard in an AMD presentation that there is good support for AMD GPUs in Premiere.

Thanks in advance!

And also for you to understand, I use After Effects compositions in my projects and various plug-ins for Premiere, so keep that in mind.

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 21, 2024 Jul 21, 2024

What is your current CPU? If it's very old, you will not be able to fully utilize any upgraded GPU in Premiere Pro. In fact, even some much older generation GPUs that are still supported by Nvidia may be bottlenecked by such an old or weak CPU.

That said, if you do go with an AMD GPU, then your system's performance will suffer on raw formats, and that the very latest AMD driver (both gaming and pro) has performance issues with GPU effects. Plus, the RX 7600 XT is actually a downgrade from your c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you been using the STUDIO driver or the default GAMING driver?

nVidia Driver Downloads https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
-for all Adobe programs use the STUDIO driver, not the GAMING driver
-To achieve the highest level of reliability, Studio Drivers undergo extensive
-testing against multi-app creator workflows and multiple revisions of the top
-creative applications from Adobe to Autodesk and beyond

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2024 Jul 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your current CPU? If it's very old, you will not be able to fully utilize any upgraded GPU in Premiere Pro. In fact, even some much older generation GPUs that are still supported by Nvidia may be bottlenecked by such an old or weak CPU.

That said, if you do go with an AMD GPU, then your system's performance will suffer on raw formats, and that the very latest AMD driver (both gaming and pro) has performance issues with GPU effects. Plus, the RX 7600 XT is actually a downgrade from your current RTX 3060 12 GB for Premiere Pro (though an upgrade for gaming) due to its much lower memory throughput (288 GB/s at 128 bits for the RX 7600 XT versus 360 GB/s at 192 bits for the RTX 3060 12 GB). And then there is the OpenCL API with its own performance issues. Worst of all, AMD has depreciated the OpenCL API itself in favor of something else that Adobe does not currently support for GPU acceleration, permanently restricting OpenCL to version 2.0 for its gaming GPUs or 2.1 for its professional GPUs.

As such, the RX 7600 XT will only be a waste of money in your case, And if you have a newer-generation higher-end CPU, the RX 7600 XT will not perform well enough to justify its current street price. So much that the cheapest worthwhile AMD GPU upgrade from that RTX 3060 would be an RX 7800 XT, which is more expensive than the RX 7600 XT that you're considering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2024 Jul 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it, so Nvidia still beats in terms of video editing. Thanks for letting me know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2024 Aug 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I’ve had some experience with AMD Graphics Cards in Adobe Premiere Pro, and I can share some insights. AMD GPUs have made significant strides in performance and compatibility over recent years. With the introduction of their RDNA and RDNA 2 architectures, AMD graphics cards offer solid performance for video editing tasks.

Here’s how AMD graphics cards generally perform in Adobe Premiere Pro:Performance: AMD’s latest GPUs, like the RX 7600XT, offer competitive performance for video editing. They handle rendering, playback, and effects processing quite well, especially when paired with a strong CPU like the Ryzen 5 7600X or Ryzen 7 7700X.

1. Compatibility: Adobe Premiere Pro has improved its support for AMD graphics cards over time. The recent updates have enhanced GPU acceleration and optimization for AMD GPUs, which helps in speeding up rendering times and smoothening playback.

2. After Effects Integration: For After Effects compositions and plug-ins, AMD GPUs generally perform well, though some specific plug-ins might be more optimized for NVIDIA cards. However, AMD’s performance in these areas has improved, and many plug-ins now support AMD GPUs effectively.

3. Overall Experience: Many users have reported a positive experience with AMD graphics cards in creative workflows, including video editing and motion graphics. The value for money and performance benefits make them a viable alternative to NVIDIA cards, especially for high-resolution projects and multi-layered edits.

In summary, moving to an AMD GPU like the RX 7600XT could be a great choice, especially with a powerful CPU and ample RAM. It should enhance your video editing experience in Premiere Pro and After Effects. Just ensure you have the latest drivers and software updates for optimal performance.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update. I have not yet tried the latest Adrenalin "gaming" driver (24.7.1), but the latest "Pro" driver 24Q2 that was based on the 24.6 series driver definitely degraded performance in GPU effects.

I will try that newest driver, and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I got done testing the 24.7.1 Adrenalin driver, and it restored the GPU effects performance to where it was prior to the bad driver versions 24.6.1/24Q2. Let's hope that AMD fixes the PRO driver with version 24Q2.1 (if it gets released).

And another thing, the very first run with a totally clean install will always be significantly slower than subsequent runs. Especially when it comes to the Windows version of Premiere Pro running OpenCL instead of CUDA. You see, Adobe still optimizes for CUDA first, and OpenCL support just tacked on. And all that added time was because CUDA libraries within Premiere Pro must be converted to OpenCL in software. And that takes a considerable amount of CPU power and time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines