Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How To Determine Bottleneck?

Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe Forums,

I am trying to determine if there is a bottleneck in my video editing system setup - focusing on external hard drive setup. Nothing seems to be overly slow, but it is always best to prevent/solve a bottleneck for maximum performance when exporting video. I would like to know how to test for a bottleneck and learn how to prevent future bottlenecks in other systems. Is there a way to determine the read/write speeds that Adobe Premiere Pro needs when utilizing multiple external HDDs and SDDs? Perhaps some kind of monitoring program similar to Mac's "Activity Monitor" that shows CPU and memory usage percentage (which visually shows CPU and/or memory getting bottlenecked or not)? Or perhaps knowing necessary read/write speeds based on source material and/or the specs of the video being exported? I can provide full system specifications upon request (I am using a Mac), but I am looking for more general guidelines on how to determine bottlenecks as it relates to read/write speeds of external drives. I know how to test for read/write speeds of individual drives, and I know that the faster the better (SDD > HDD for example) but that information doesn't help much if I do not have a more precise read/write speed number provided by Premiere Pro. Don't want to have to purchase new SDDs if I can get away with more affordable and still reliable HDDs.

I thank you in advance for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This link is broken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Windows Task Manager will let you monitor the memory, cpu, gpu, hard drive and network. The video link below demonstrates this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines