• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Optimize my new AMD 5950x (6800XT and 64GB RAM) Computer for Premiere Pro

Enthusiast ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had my Alienware (Aurora 10) PC for about 2 months now.  Running Premiere Pro 15.4 and I've noticed it's not quite as fast as I had hoped, especially after about 20-30 minutes of editing multicam. Right now, this computer is performing moderately better than the 7 year old (non-AMD) PC I replaced that crashed. I edit weddings mostly so multicam editing is a huge part of it. 4K footage handles better on this PC for sure, but what's troubling is... Editing even a few 1080p60 clips (XAVC-S) in multicam runs fine for about 20-30 minutes but then starts to stutter and forces me to stop, wait a few seconds, then hit play again for it to go smoothly again. Restarting Premiere seems to reset things so it runs smooth again for maybe another 20-30 mins. But if I add ANY cross dissolves to the nested multicam I can't even preview it because it stutters so badly and requires me to have to stop playback, skip over that edit point and hit play again. Ugh.

Are there some settings I need to enable or disable or push to the max in order to get the MAX performance from this Aurora 10 PC for editing all the time? I bought it for editing only but for a cross dissolve on a 3-camera HD multicam to bring it to it's knees seems wrong. Anything in the BIOS I'm supposed to tweak? I only use this computer for video editing. Parts were so hard to obtain and needed a replacement quickly so I went for this build from Dell given the specs seemed solid. 

I have selected OpenCL in Project Settings

CPU - 5950X 

GPU - 6800XT (just updated it last week after a couple PPro crashes)

RAM - 64GB

OS Drive - 1TB NVMe Drive

Media Drive - 2TB Samsung 860 EVO

Windows 10 Home

Looking at the "stats" using AMD's software it doesn't look like my editing is pushing the limits of the CPU, GPU or RAM at any point. So I'm not sure if there's something I can tweak or do to make this machine fly 24/7.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still looking for ways to optimize my setup here.

(NOTE: I tried UN-checking the "H264/HEVC hardware accelerated decoding" box (and the AMD box below it) in Preferences and it improved performance greatly. Why would that cripple performance?! I mean I couldn't even use a cross dissolve on a multicam cut without stuttering. Now, smooth. My computer fans are now working MUCH harder. Anyone know why? I mean, I'll take it. Now I think I just gotta get quieter fans. But I'll take loud fans constantly going in exchange for better performance any day. If anyone knows what is going on here and why (and anything else I can do to help) please reply!!!)

NOTE #2: I read something about enabling AMD Smart Access Memory in the BIOS. Not sure if that will help further but I'm open to trying anything to speed up editing performance and limit stuttering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, 

Did you manage to get your system working at its best with your 5950x?

I've upgraded my setup from 5800x to a 5950x and 32GB DDR4 to 64GB DDR4 and find the majority of Adobe CC sluggish.

I'm disappointed for you that you didn't get any response to your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines