• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'm curious: Why can't my computer play a 4K photo-jpeg clip smoothly?

Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry if this isn't the appropriate forum, but I couldn't think of a better one. I'm hoping someone might have a clue as to what my problem is.

I have 4K photo-jpeg clips I've created (with After Effects CC, if that matters), and I've been trying to figure out why I can't play them smoothly on my computer. At best they play at about 15fps; at worst (different video players) they stutter like crazy, and audio is choppy (on & off for seconds at a time).

I'm running Win 10 64-bit, and when using Task Manager's Performance monitoring, I can't see anything being utilized too much:

CPU: 31% max, mostly 29%

Memory: 19%

Disk: 53% max, mostly 0% (file is playing from an SSD)

GPU Load: Varies 16% - 41%,

GPU Memory Controller Load: Varies 9% - 28%

These figures are when using the Win 10 "Movies & TV" app. I haven't examined resource utilization when running other players, but none of the other players I've tried (VLC, Windows Media Player, MPC, PotPlayer) plays these clips any better.

My hardware is fairly decent, with a 6700K CPU (Skylake), 32GB RAM, Win 10 on a separate SSD from the source file, and a GTX 1070 GPU.

I realize Photo-jpeg clips are resource intensive and tough to play smoothly at full speed, I just can't help but wonder what resource is stopping it from playing them doing so.

Any ideas?

Ken

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have indexing turned off on all your drives?  How many processes are running in your Task Manger when you are doing this?  Have you tested the performance of your drives with something like CrystalDiskMark?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply and the questions.

No, indexing is on, however it shows "complete", and only a few folders are being indexed (all on C:). The ‘Pause’ button is disabled, which indicates to me it is not active at present.

Processes? Yikes; more than I want to count (40-50?). Though most of them are at 0% and don't seem to be doing anything. I closed my browser (which has a lot of open tabs) and tried again. CPU usage peaked at < 20% this time, but the clip still doesn’t seem to play noticeably faster.

I hadn't done any disk performance testing, but I just downloaded CrystalDiskMark and tested the drive playing the clip. Sequential read speed is 502 MB/s. There's also a Seq Q32T1 (don't know what that is) at 551, and 4K Q32T1 at 502. Only 4K read is slow at 20 MB/s, but obviously the clip isn't being read in 4K chunks (I hope!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like this mystery is going to go unanswered. However, if I do ever find out, I will try to remember to update this thread for the benefit of anyone else having the same question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off indexing.  Every time you write anything to that drive there is overhead.

Look at Task Manger/Performance.  See 67 active Processes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again, Bill.

I turned off indexing (disabled the service) and tried again, but it doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference. There probably wasn't any (or much) writing going on to the drive (C:) that had folders indexed while I'm playing the clip from another drive, as I had very few things being indexed.

Ah, I don't have to count the processes! Mine shows 60 processes (though a bit over 1000 threads).

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines