• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it worth upgrading my Graphics Card or should I invest in a new PC?

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking to use Premiere Pro CC with my desktop for editting mostly 1080 footage and some 4K. My desktop specs...i7-3930k (3.8GHz) 6 cores 12 threads, 32GB of ram DDR3 800MHz, EVGA GTX 580 Graphics card.

I was thinking of upgrading the graphics card to a GTX1050 ti....is this worth it or should I save my money for a whole new system? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A newer GPU could help that system a fair amount, as it is by far the weakest link there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Video Hardware forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In your case, if you're continuing to update Premiere Pro, then a graphics card update/upgrade is necessary: Your GTX 580 is of the now-obsolete Fermi generation, whose drivers are no longer being updated at all past 391.35, which in turn lacks support for CUDA 9.2 or higher that Premiere Pro 2019 (13.x.x) requires to even enable MPE CUDA GPU acceleration at all. As a result, Premiere's renderer would be permanently locked to the software-only mode until you replace that ancient GPU with something newer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines