• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Last Premiere not using CUDA 1070 as HW decoder

New Here ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get last premiere and my multi cam (with proxies 720p mp4 ingest settings) is very very slow. I checked debug monitor, and all decoding done by CPU. My cuda 1070 is not works at all! But all my past projects was done in same pipeline and CUDA was perfectly runnig my multicams.

Please help as it impossible to finish projects with such lags on SW decoding:

My PC i7 5820k (no QS)

Gtx 1070

Premiere 12.1.1

[Moderator note: moved to best forum.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure which part is the problem ... creating proxies, playback in PrPro, or exports. So a bit more explanation would be useful.

If you've got a relatively new Intel CPU, there's an option for 'hardware acceleration' that utilizes the Intel QuickSync internal process on the CPU itself. If that's checked, then the CPU takes over all decoding/encoding processes ... period.

Past that, the GPU is not normally used for basic decoding/encoding unless there's some resizing going on or there are GPU-accelerated effects involved. They have a list under that name ...

GPU Accelerated Effects: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/effects.html

But in general, explaining a bit more of your situation would help. Including the media involved.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premier cannot play mp4 media in realtime, even proxy.

I not changed any HW configuration a year or more. So previous version of premiere use my GTX1070 to play multi camera. And i even can play 4k sony XAVC files almost without a lag, when CUDA selected in project. And i saw that my video card usage was  90-100%.

But now GPU is not used at all! All playback is on CPU now. (and it doesn't have Intel QuickSync) So i'm begging for help, how to get premier use CUDA for playback as it was before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For playback, CUDA and the GPU are used only on those sections where there are GPU accelerated effects, that hasn't changed. This app has never used the GPU for basic decoding/decompression for playback. I've got three versions of PrPro installed, and it's the same on all three ... no GPU involved on any playback until I've got a GPU-accelerated effect on the clip.

So ... no GPU use in playback after initial import. Apply Lumetri corrections on a clip, now that clip invokes the GPU in playback.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but i don't know using premier gpu for decoding or not. But now GPU is not used while playback, and i can't use Multicam at all. On 2018.0 version of premiere all worked flawlessly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To say again ... the GPU is used for certain things, and not in general for playback. "Standard" encoding/de-coding processes don't normally involve the GPU as stated above.

For some people, on some computers, 12.1 is a bit slower than 12.0 or the 11.x builds of the 2017 version. For me, it's about the same for playback & general operations.

Which proxy codec did you use? I hope the Cineform preset they ship with it. I've no clue why anyone would use an interframe codec (H.264) for a proxy to 'solve' H.264 playback issues. And I presume you know that to actually use the proxies, you need to drag the Toggle Proxies icon to the Program manager control block & then click it to the blue state to toggle on proxies.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used h.264 proxy 720p, as always. I had no troubles before this, and all worked flawlessly.

I'm premiere power user, i know how to enter debug menu, and know some under the hood settings, so it's not the thing that i disable proxy by mistake. So i tried all that i could. Disable/Enable intel QS in media settings, switch cuda on/off. Resets all settings and reinstall premiere completely. Rollback few nvidia drivers. and still nothing helps (

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you've done about everything. Other than using an interframe codec to try to fix interframe codec playback troubles.Um ... well, that's not really gonna be useful to begin with.

Which is why I'm not sure why they even include the H.264 proxy option. Seriously.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey, i just re-create proxy as cineform 720p and it's even worse! I can't play even like slide-show ((((

Something wrong with premiere, its just unusable!

I tried same multicam in davicni 15 and all play smooth as butter without any proxy. Just straight 4K XAVC from camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Something's wrong in the setup of PrPro on your computer, is what I'm thinking. I don't know where or what, but Resolve isn't the most friendly app to low-powered machines out there either.

For many people, they can use PrPro but Resolve bogs their rigs down. And many others see the two apps running about the same. Why? Very good question. Wish I could give an answer.

Maybe if a Moderator moves this to the Hardware forum, someone could get you some hard testing information. Bill Gehrke

"hangs" there, and his ppbm8 test will rag out any computer in exporting a short project while loggers record performance of all computer components, and he's got a ​massive​ database of test results from other computers to compare to. So the advice Bill can give is rather more concrete on such things if you take the few minutes to download/run/upload his test.

Also, people from ADK (ECBowen), Safeharbor Computing (safeharbor11) and Puget Sound Systems (don't recall screen-name there) also hang there, and also give awesome hard advice.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines