Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My first PC build for video editing purposes

Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done some research into building my own video editing PC. I want to spend about 800 pounds. I will list some of the components I have so far. Any suggestion would be welcomed and appreciated.

ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) Motherboard - £159.98

4 x Kingston 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM Memory - £12.76 each

For CPU I am going to wait for the Ivy Bridge Core 17 to come out

PNY nVIDIA Geforce GTX 570 Graphics Card with 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-Express

£210.97

I have heard that it does not matter how fast the RAM is but it is more important how much you have. My Mobo can take 2800 Mhz. I have also heard that the graphic card is important when video editing. It acts as a secondary CPU which enhances the performance.

Is all the above information correct?

Thanks

Dominic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2012 Jun 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some difference. If the ratio between 580 and 680 also holds up for the 570 - 670, you will have around 10 - 15% performance increase, but more importantly, less energy consumption and thus cooler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice. That was really helpful.

My financial resources is looking good so it looks like I can get my gpu soon. However, splashing the cash is still an issue. I know that the nvidia gtx 690 is way out of my budget. I would financially prefer to go for the gtx 570 but at an absolute stretch I could go for the 670.

Harm has pointed out a performance difference of max 15%. That does not sound too much. However, there is the power consumption to consider.

A man in a computer fair said to me the 500 series are dead/finished. You should only be looking at the 600. But he did not explain why.

Perhaps I could go for the 570 and in the future buy another 570 and have them in SLI?

Anyway, if anyone could give me advice on this it would be much appreciated.

Dominic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SLI does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 01, 2012 Jul 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have ordered most of my components for pc build for video editing purposes. Here is the list. Any critism would be welcome.

MOTHERBOARD 

AsRock Z77 Extreme6 Motherboard (Socket 1155, Intel Z77, Up to 32GB DDR3, ATX, USB 3.0, 4 x SATA3 6....

£ 145 – Amazon

CPU

Intel 3rd Generation Core i7-3770K CPU (4 x 3.50GHz, Ivy Bridge, Socket 1155, 8Mb L3 Cache, Intel Tu...

£ 230 – Amazon

RAM

Corsair CMX16GX3M4A1333C9 XMS 16GB (4x4GB) 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 Four Memory Module Kit

£70– Amazon

GPU

Asus Nvidia GeForce 2GB GTX 670 DirectCU II Graphics Card

£ 350 – Amazon

CPS

OCZ 850W ZX Series PSU 80+ Gold Rated Ultra Quiet Double Ball Bearing Fan and EU Cable (– Pos Probs – cables short especially for CPU. May need CPU extension cables but these are cheap. Also says compatible with Sandy Bridge NOT ivy bridge. Im assuming it is compatible though)

£ 100 – Amazon

BLUE RAY 

LG BH10LS38.AUAU 10x Inter

£62.00 – Amazon           

CASE

BNIB ANTEC 1200 (TWELVE HUNDRED) BLACK STEEL ATX FULL TOWER COMPUTER CASE £ 120 – ebay

The only thing left to buy are the hard drives. I have decided on a system  of a

C: Boot drive 500 gb (7200) for the OS

Pair of drives in RAID 2 x 2 tb

E: Export drive. Single (7200) 3 tb

Somebody suggested to me that I should get SSD. However, am I right in saying that these drives, although fast, are too small for video editing purposes and also too expensive? Perhaps I should wait until they get bigger and less expensive. A future upgrade.

Thanks for any comments in advanced

Dominic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2012 Jul 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks good. Budget is the limiting factor when deciding to use an SSD or not. A 500 GB boot disk is around € 65, a 256 GB SSD is around € 280 and the only thing to show for that expenditure is bragging rights and faster loading of programs. It does not help improve editing performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 02, 2012 Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Harm. It's good that a live forum expert has confirmed my doubts about SSD. This was helpful.

Well, I am almost at the end of my build. I will of course have to build it but I have some IT geeks who will help me so there should not be any problems.

If you are reading this and are thinking of building a pc for the first time, I would highly recommend it. What I have enjoyed the most is the process. I am not an expert but I have certainly learnt a lot of things a long the way and now can keep up with geek language.

I initially decided to build my own PC because I had a lot of footage of my wedding; which is excatly a year ago today. The filming was principally done by my brother because our budget was tight. After our honeymoon I tried to edit it on my cheap Acer PC and I didnt reallly get anywhere. I did a bit of research and realised that I would have to build my own or buy I really expensive Apple Mac. I decided on the more difficult option which is a journey that has certinaly given me a strong sense of achievement.

I will soon have a new addition to the family. I am really excited and it is due next Sunday. However, my wife is getting really irritated by it all and hopes i will finally stop talking about it.

Many thanks to all your helpful comments

Dominic  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have built my computer and it is a dream. It's Fast, powerful and quiet. However, I have installed a 3tb hard drive but its only letting me use 2tb. Does it have anything to do with the OS?

Thanks in advance

Dominic 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info Harm. It is going to take me a little bit of time to get my head around it but i can see that it is really useful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 02, 2012 Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To anyone who can help,

In my cs6 after I click 'new project' I am unable to click in the bar marked 'Renderer'. I know that it would be useful for the cs6 to utilise my GPU. My GPU is an Asus Nvidia gtx 670. If anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

Dominic 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2012 Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apply the 'hack'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip Harm,

I am having problems with transitions in premiere pro cs6. When there is a transition between one video to another I get a glimpse of a previous cut that is supposed to be positioned somewhere else. It only lasts less than a second but it disrupts the flow and is really annoying. Perhaps I am in the wrong department in the forums as I know this is meant for 'hardware' questions. If this is the case could somebody please direct me to the right place for my questioned to be answered.

Thanks

Dominic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dominic,

It sounds like you do not have sufficient handles, or better said a lack of handles on these transitions, like in this case:

AAABBCCC|||XXXYYYZZZ where each letter indicates a different clip and III indicates the transition.

Now, if the start of the transition uses part of the BB clip it means your transition is too long, so frames from the BB clip are used instead of only from the CCC clip, as you intended. Or alternatively, if parts of YYY show up at the end of the transition where you only wanted XXX to show, it means you do not have sufficient handles so in those cases either shorten the transition or extend the handles from CCC and XXX.

This is pretty difficult to explain on paper, but I hope you get my drift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your explanation. It was very clear and I have checked to see if my transitions have extended onto an unwanted clip but it appears that this is not the case. I think my explanation of the problem could have been clearer. I hope this is better. The three III indicate the transition.

AAABBBCCCIIIDDDEEEFFFGGGHHHJJJKKKLLLMMMNNN

Lets say clip C was once part of N and was cut right at the beginning of N. When it is making the transition between C and D, I am getting a glimpse at the beginning of N. (I can see on my timeline that I have not extended the transition that far) However if I don’t make any transitions between C and the next clip I will not see the beginning of N. When I place the timeline directly in the centre of clip C and D and pressed Ctrl D and watch my changes I see N appear.

If you could help me that would be great but if you don’t have a clue what I saying that is OK

Cheers

Dominic    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 24, 2012 Sep 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for something for my end title in cs6. It is when a TV screen goes off and all you see is this black and white jerky image with this one constant pitch sound, which tells the viewer you are off transmission. It iis also known as the flee circus.

Thanks for any help in advance

Dom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 06, 2012 Oct 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

To anybody who can help.

In my end title I have used rolling credits in premier pro cs6. However, the writing is blurred and hard on the eye making it difficult to focus on the credits. I have tried to lower the opacity but it hasnt resolved the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dominic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 28, 2012 Oct 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

To anybody who can help.

I have a new professional camcorder which creates MTS video files. When I try to import these files into cs6 i am only able to view the visuals but there is no sound.

If anybody can help it would be much appreciated.

Dominic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines