Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which one is best for

4K Music video editing in premiere pro

rotoscoping and composting in after effects

motion graphic design in cinema 4d

1. Hp's Z6

Processor :-

Intel® Xeon® Gold 6136 Processor (3 GHz, up to 3.7 GHz w/Turbo Boost, 24.75 MB cache, 2666MHz, 12 core)

Or

Intel® Xeon® Gold 6140 Processor (2.3 GHz, up to 3.7 GHz w/Turbo Boost, 24.75 MB cache, 2666 MHz, 18 core)

Operating System :-

Windows® 10 Pro for Workstation (4 Cores Plus) Multi - English, French, Spanish

Chasis

Z6 G4 90 1000 W Chassis

Graphics Card :-

NVIDIA Quadro P5000, 16B (5820T)

Memory :-

64GB (2x32GB) or (4x16GB) DDR4-2666 ECC Registered Memory (1 Processor)

Internal OS load storage options :-

Operating System Load to M.2

512 GB HP Z Turbo Drive Self-Encrypted (SED) M.2 SSD

Hard Drive Controllers :-

MegaRAID SAS 9460-8i 12Gb/s PCIe SATA/SAS HW RAID controller

Hard Drive :-

4 TB 7200 RPM SATA Enterprise 3.5" HDD x 4 = 16 TB

RAID Configurations for SATA/SAS Hard Drives/Solid :-

RAID 5

Additional networking options :-

Intel® X550-T2 10GbE Dual Port NIC

Front I/O ports :-

Premium - 2x USB 3.1 Type-C; 2x USB 3.0 Type-A

Accessories :-

HP Z6 G4 Memory Cooling Solution

Z4/Z6 G4 Side Panel Barrel Keylock

Thunderboalt 3 :-

Thunderboalt 3 Pcie card

Cost Arround $8000 USD

2. Dell's 7820 Precision Tower

Processor :-

Intel Xeon Gold 6140 2.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo 18C, 10.4GT/s 3UPI, 25M Cache, HT (140W) DDR4-2666

Or

Intel Xeon Gold 6136 3.0GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo, 12C, 10.4GT/s 3UPI,24.75M Cache, HT (150W) DDR4-2666

Operating System :-

Windows® 10 Pro for Workstation (4 Cores Plus) Multi - English, French, Spanish

Chassis :-

Precision 7820 Tower 950W Chassis

Graphics Card :-

NVIDIA Quadro P5000, 16B (5820T)

Memory :-

64GB (4x16GB) 2666MHz DDR4 RDIMM ECC

Boot Drive Option

Internal NVMe PCIe SSD (Dell Ultra-Speed Drive)

Dell Ultra-Speed Drive Quad PCIe SSD x16 card, 1 M.2 512GB PCIe NVMe Class 50 Solid State Drive

Hard Drive Controllers :-

MegaRAID SAS 9460-8i 12Gb/s PCIe SATA/SAS HW RAID controller (4GB cache)

Hard Drive :-

3.5" 4TB 7200rpm Nearline SAS Hard Drive x 2 = 8 TB

RAID Configurations for SATA/SAS Hard Drives/Solid :-

RAID 5

PCIe I/O Cards (ThunderBoalt 3)

USB 3.1 G2 PCIe Card - 2 Type C Ports. 1DP in

Network Cards

Intel® X550-T2 10GbE NIC, Dual Port, Copper

Cost Arround $8500 USD

[post edited for readability by mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so i have to go with SATA SSD III class 20 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what "Class 20" means.  What you need is a SATA III (6Gbit/s) 2.5-inch SSD.  Take a look at this Newegg link,  I happen to prefer Samsung as they are the leader in SSD's.   Any of these devices will work even the 4TB that would give you over 20TB.  I know That the less expensive EVO models will work but will not quite give you the same write performance, but would be perfectly adequate.  I just ran this CDM test which gives slightly different scores with a different version of CDM but it confirms the great results.

RAID3 7x256GB.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i mean which card i mentioned above with this raid controller and have 4x4TB 7200 RPm Sata III nearline sas hard drive with 6Gbit/s 3.5-inch  hot it would be perform

and also want to mention that card with 2Gb cache and give 12 Gbit/s near 1200Mbps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

which option is good for 4k workflow.?

Option 1

Samsung's 960 Pro Nvme M.2 512 Gb for Os

Samsung's 960 Pro Nvme M.2 1Tb for Projects and cache and render files

Other data will kept stored in raid 0 mention above

Samsung's SATA III (6Gbit/s) 2.5-inch SSD 512 Gb for os

and SATA III (6Gbit/s) 2.5-inch SSD 1Tb for Projects and cache and render files

Other data will kept stored in raid 0 mention above

Option 3

Samsung's SATA III (6Gbit/s) 2.5-inch SSD 512 Gb for os

and Samsung's 960 Pro Nvme M.2 1Tb for Projects and cache and render files

Samsung's SATA III (6Gbit/s) 2.5-inch SSD 4x4 TB with Raid 0

and Samsung's SATA III (6Gbit/s) 2.5-inch SSD (Single Not Raid)

is more High in speed than Samsung's 960 Pro Nvme M.2 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FORGET RAID 0 forever as it is dangerous for valuable data

Any SATA III SSD device is limited to a maximum of 6 Gbits/second

Any M.2 PCIe Gen 3 x4 is limited to a maximum of 32 Gbits/second.

960-Pro-CDM-1TB.png

Crucial MX300 CDM 750GB.png

Does that answer your question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ya i got answer about drive but

if RAID 0 is not and option then for which RAID should i go..?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you just are using it for backup or archiving RAID 5 will work but if you are putting any media that you are editing then the only practical RAID's for high sequential read/write rates are RAID 3 or RAID 6.  That generally means Areca controllers.

He is an old article that my now deceased forum partner Harm Millaard wrote a little over two years ago about RAID.  Just remember it is a little dated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2017 Dec 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i need raid for video editing 4K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for what raid should i go if i want to place all 4k raw data on raid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With full constant backup you of course can use RAID 0 but if you want reliability without having to do that kind of effort then I suggest (and have used) RAID 3.  My system is an Areca ARC-1883i with a SuperMicro Mobile Rack M28SACB that has 8 each 2.5 inch slots and I have 7 each Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SATA III SSD's in a RAID 3 configuration with a net capacity of 1.4TB.  That system was built when the Samsung 840 Pros were introduced.  It has a write rate of over 2000 MB/second when exporting from Adobe Premiere Pro which is the fastest I have seen with my PPBM Disk I/O test.

Today if you put 2 TB SSD's in it you would would have 11+ TB in a very small package with very low power requirements, noise free and access times in micro seconds rather than milliseconds.

PICT0311.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have an Areca 8050T2 that i originally ran Raid5 but did get some throughput errors (ie although the Raid was fast, it was inconsistent and frames would be dropped) Switching it to Raid3 worked a treat.

As for Raid0 - i have one PC with a couple of internals striped as Raid0, used for offline. Works great. It’s named ‘ScaryRaid’ to remind folks they’d better have a full backup of anything on there.

Obviously if/when it does go down then we’ll be editing off the backup, probably on another machine, whilst the drives are replaced, but for speed/cost it’s unbeatable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second the other responses. Xeons have practially no advantage whatsoever in single-CPU configurations over their "consumer" i7 or i9 counterparts. In fact, most single-Xeon configurations actually perform slower than their consumer counterparts in current Adobe CC programs, mainly due to their significantly lower base and all-core Turbo clock speeds. Plus, Xeons' requirement of ECC RAM slows down their performance even more due to ECC's greater latency.

And did I mention that the Xeon Golds use the exact same CPU architecture and technology as their Skylake-X i7 and i9 counterparts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don´t know why so many in this forum year in and year out so deeply hate workstations from either HP or DELL stating that "Xeon's are a architecture of the past" and "...completely chokes on even 720p video content." when both statements are utterly wrong. And yes, it is possible to buy any of those workstations with no graphics card installed and buy any GTX card and install it to completely avoid Quadro cards. It seems that none of you have actually used them workstations and all opinions seems to be based on a general hate towards workstations just for the sake of it.

I buy and use HP workstations and do always buy them without graphics card to having the ability to install a top end GTX card. Yes, it can be expensive but what i am buying is reliability of a certified workstation and the 3-year standard or 5-year (optional) on-site-warranty that is great to have if the computer for some reason dies. I prefer the 5-year on-site-warrany. I had a motherboard that died in my old Z800 and they came to me and replaced it the day after and i was up and running again. That´s totally worth it if you have a deadline coming up and that´s what i get for my money and that´s what i am willing to pay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I changed my mind about this discussion. What I meant there is that I will not be responding directly to the discussion creator about this subject matter, seeing as he's dead set on such an expensive and somewhat underperforming configuration for such an astronomical price tag. The problem is that he simply chose the wrong models from those two companies because they offer only single-Xeon-CPU configurations. And no single Xeon CPU is as powerful as even the least powerful of the HEDT i7 and i9 counterparts with otherwise identical core counts, due to their sometimes substantially slower base and Turbo clock speeds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intel's new W series is made to be use only single and powerfully

Intel Xeon W-2155

10 Core 20 Thread

3.3Ghz 4.5 Ghz Turbo

Or

Intel Xeon W-2175

14 Core 28 Thread

2.5 Ghz 4.3 Ghz Turbo

Or

Intel Xeon W2195

18 Core 36 Thread

2.6 Ghz 4.4 Ghz Turbo

And also Core i9

Intel Core  i9-7900X

10 Core 20 Thread

3.3Ghz 4.5 Ghz Turbo

Or

Intel Core i9-7940x

14 Core 28 thread

3.1 Ghz 4.3 Ghz Turbo

Or

Intel Core i9-7980XE

18 Core 36 Thread

2.6Ghz 4.2Ghz Turbo

Than where is the differ come in point?

Xeon support ECC Memory Core i9 dosenot

Xeon's are bit higher in price but they are more reliable than i9 and i7

and big companies like Dell HP give 3 years on site warranty thats the main point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Averhadl one question you using nvidia geforce cards with xeon how it was performing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are performing great, as expected. When i bought my HP Z440 i installed a GTX 980 and then when the Nvidia Titan Xp came out i bought that card and that´s the card i use today. Now when the GTX 1080 Ti is out i would have bought that card.

PassMark Software - Video Card (GPU) Benchmarks - High End Video Cards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if i am not wrong you are using Hp's Z840

May i know your system's specs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, i have not used a Z840 but i have used a Z800 and still own it but my main computer today is a HP Z440:

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-1650v3

RAM: 64 GB

Graphic card: Nvidia Titan Xp

Boot disc: HP Z Turbo G2 512 GB

Media drive: Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD 1.2 TB

Media drive: Many SSD drives...

Blu-ray writer: Yes

I use the Z Turbo as a boot disc only beacuse i needed to free up a SATA port. I bought my Z440 june 2015 with 5 years on-site-warranty.

I could not justify the additional cost to buy a dual processor machine, especially since After Effects ditched the multiprocessor feature a couple of versions ago. I don´t know if After Effects have catched up yet, iow i don´t know how well it uses two processors today compared to how it did 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Averdahl,

Here is your answer about AE (CC2017) performance, it all depends on what you are doing but overall performance is still limited to the fastest Turbo CPU speed as you can clearly see from this Puget AE benchmarking.  That processor the i7-8700K is only a 6-core unit but with Turbo speeds of 4.7 GHz.  I do not know if Adobe has made any improvements with CC 2018.  I doubt that any Xeon's run that fast.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt that any Xeon's run that fast.

The closest one is the W-2135, 14nm, 6-core, base clock 3.7Ghz, turbo boost 4.5 Ghz. Close enough compared to the i7-8700K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bill you not seen this comparison yet i think..?

Intel Xeon W-2155

10 Core 20 Thread

3.3Ghz 4.5 Ghz Turbo

Or

Intel Xeon W-2175

14 Core 28 Thread

2.5 Ghz 4.3 Ghz Turbo

Or

Intel Xeon W2195

18 Core 36 Thread

2.6 Ghz 4.4 Ghz Turbo

And also Core i9

Intel Core  i9-7900X

10 Core 20 Thread

3.3Ghz 4.5 Ghz Turbo

Or

Intel Core i9-7940x

14 Core 28 thread

3.1 Ghz 4.3 Ghz Turbo

Or

Intel Core i9-7980XE

18 Core 36 Thread

2.6Ghz 4.2Ghz Turbo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if i buy Hp Z4 with

Intel Xeon W-2195

18 Core 36 Thread

2.6 Ghz 4.4 Ghz Turbo

and Buy Nvidia Quadro P5000

or with a Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan Xp

With 64GB DDR4 2666 Mhz Ram

512Gb M.2 for Os

1Tb M.2 For projects and media cache files

and 8Tb raid with Raid 0 with sata III 7200 RPM drive for Raw data

should it work great?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how as the processor and graphic card work and are you using pr pro also?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am satisfied with the processor though i know that the newer ones in the Z4/Z6/Z8 are faster. I am primarily using Premiere Pro and when i bought the Titan Xp i was happy to see that the export times of 4K material were cut in half compared to the GTX 980 card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines