• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

nVidia GTX 680 now at Newegg

Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2012 Mar 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.newegg.com/GTX680/?nm_mc=EMCCP-032212-NV&cm_mmc=EMCCP-032212-NV-_-GeForceGTX680-_-banner-...

Coupon code good until end of March or when supply is exhausted... good for free shipping EMCNGHJ22 (at checkout)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RMO2011

Do you know what MOBO tomshardware use for this benchmark???

Is that benchmark was made on a MOBO <> X79 ONLY aplay to mobo with PCIex 2.0

You get my point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Crist OC/PC.

I get your point.

The mobo used was a Gigabyte X79-UD5.

As far as I know this mobo supports direct download of drivers for third generation PCI - as soon as you need it. Though the default to my knowledge is PCI 2.

Total benchmark setup here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-review-benchmark,3161-6.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any Idea of the Clockspeed of all this GPU´S?

Something look very wrong to me in that benchmark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Tomshardware benchmark using MediaEspresso 6.5 is using the new NVEnc transcoding engine and not CUDA. It’s similar to what Intel introduced in Sandy bridge with Quick Sync. To quote Toms:

“a more purpose-built fixed-function pipeline capable of better performance at substantially lower power use.”

It’s clear from the reviews that nVidia wanted to build a smaller more power efficient GPU for gaming which is why they compromised on the Compute side of things.

That makes sense as for these consumer cards its gaming performance that is king so why compromise them with a higher manufacturing cost (larger die size) and higher power consumption just to cater for a niche area.

For most home users the other advantage of having a GPU is for video transcoding and the new NVEnc feature will cover that.

Tough luck for MPE users of course but there will surely be consumer versions of the BIG Kepler GPU due around Q3 so you won’t be forced to use Quadros to get better CUDA performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eclipse_crow.

Thaks for clarifying things!

Very much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

present quadros cant even outperform the 570/580.. they certainly will not do so against a 680.

whilst i definately believe the 680 is a crippled card (still dont have one to benchmark so i am talking out my butt for the most part)

until the newer quadros are released this is just speculatation at best/conspiracy theory.

i would not put it past nVidia to do so at all on the other hand if it were that easy they would have already done so.

Cuda is Cuda and a good chunk of that programing has to do with games an area where they have to show best. worstation graphics is at best a small % of the market

scott

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott

Thanks for answering.

"Outperform" - do you mean as a graphics card in a PP situation in a dedicated video machine? (Dedicated = as few processes as possible running - just clean OS with no crap + PP + necessary processes = a specialized workstation).

And even if CUDA is "shared" between gaming and workstation graphics, one has little choise i guess - if you want to use PP you have to use the CUDA cores left over by gaming - in for instance the GTX 680. Is this correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RMO,

Quadros are not as fast as the 5xx GTX cards

Quadro 4000 is a 460 sorta  Quadro 4000 256 cores 89 GB/s ram bandwith / 460 has 336 cores 115BG/s memory bandwidth.  the major diff is the Quadros usually have more ram..

Quadro 5000 is a 465  etc

Quadro 6000 is a 470 etc

someone i think Bill make a chart of this..

the only time to buy a quadro card is for solid works definately NOT for adobe anything..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Scott for this very clear statement.

Now I am back to where I started: Buying the GTX 680 for video rendering. I just had to examine things first, to make sure I did the right thing.

It's a shame that getting a valuation of graphics cards in a video rendering pespective is so difficult - it's mostly about gaming (because of the marketshare, I understand that).

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the other issue with workstation graphics benchmarks is most sites still use Specview perf which very heavily favors quadros and has not been updated with newer versions of the software.

EG: Autocad is now Direct X and tefore no longer needs a quadro..

the needing a quadro has to do with how in bed with nVidia the software manufaturer is (read how much help they need coding Cuda etc)

could also mean they are paid by nvidia one way or another (trying not to say too much)

the only difference is firmware (and usually more ram)

hardware wise they are the same cards GTX vs quadro.

well said enough.. time to shut my yap before i go too far

scott

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My impression is that some people are looking at the deemphasise in Compute performance in the mid range Kepler GPU in the GTX 680 and extrapolating that this means that nVidia want to force people to buy a Quadro for Compute performance.

Personally I’d wait until the top end Kepler GPU is released before jumping to such a conclusion. They are surely bound to release consumer gaming cards based on the same GPU core which will have plenty of performance but just lack the workstation features of the Quadros; drivers et al.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, a GTX 680 available at Newegg again!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162095

Enjoy it and please report your results back here if you snag one.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They sure do not last long I just checked the link to see for myself (of course I already snagged mine direct from EVGA) and it is showing "Out of Stock"

I just took a look at the time difference between your post and mine 1 hour 12 minutes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeez, I'm lucky I still have some time to wait at least for the 4 GB version or maybe even the 685/690 to appear with a larger memory bus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well so far testing the 680 shows no big deal. certainly not the 3x cores excitement we thought..

at least not with avchd trying red shortly..

will post #s later..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harm, EVGA has an interesting 90 day Step-up program.  If they introduce a upgraded product within 90 days you can trade up for just the difference in list prices.

Sure wish I had a PCIe 3.0 MB, and of course you need a 22nm CPU like the i7-3770K which may see the light of day this month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when are they likely to release the 4GB version? I'll wait for that version if the extra Gigabytes somehow make it better for After Effects and/or openGL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be some time yet, because TSMC has serious difficulties with the yields of 28 nm chips for both the AMD HD 79xx and the Kepler range. The 300 mm wafer production is also insufficient to meet current demands and the change-over to 28 nm chips will take several months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2012 Apr 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I searched "TSMC" and it looks like you're right. It's going to be a long wait. This inadequate computer I'm using now must suffice till almost chistmas. There's no point in me upgrading until there's tech available that can give a significant performance gain, at a reasonable price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2012 Apr 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You know, most of the time I don't make these stories up.

Here is the article about it: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120405PD218.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines