• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Old Laptop Smokes New Desktop PC in Export Race ?!?!

Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the creative suite on my old laptop and newly built desktop. Wanted to see the upgrade difference first hand so I made identical 15 second videos on each and did an export test. Both machines exported 29mb mp4s, the laptop took 7 seconds while the PC took 23.

Just concerned this could scale to be much more of a problem with a larger export. 

Desktop PC Specs          Laptop Specs 

2 possible reasons:

Is it because my desktop is AMD and laptop is Intel? Processor Comparison 

Am I possibly missing codecs on my PC that would help encoding during export? I exported using H.264 Vimeo 1080p preset on both.

UPDATE:

Downgraded from premiere 14.3 to 14.1 (to match the laptop) and got nearly identical export times. The Desktop was about 20 seconds faster! Still not the difference I was hoping to see but will update this thread wtih a larger project and file test. 

Thoughts and suggestions welcome! 

TOPICS
CPU , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved from Premiere Pro forum to Video Hardware forum.

/R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a project on the desktop and place all media and the project file in one folder. Make the video longer, maybe 5 minutes and then export. Before exporting, press Ctrl+Shift+ESC to start the Task Manager and click on the Performance tab so you can see how the hardware performs.

When done, copy the folder to your laptop and open the project and export. Use the Task Manager this time as well. By doing this you make sure that you use the exact same project since it is easy to miss to add, or not add, an effect if you create two different projects.

Any difference?

In the Task Manager, right on the CPU graph to the right and choose Change graph to > Logical Processors so you see each individual core.

Averdahl_0-1593199093339.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate you looking into this Averdahl...

So I tried copying the project folder over and got a weird green affect on the video...

I made IDENTICAL folders on each machine's desktop and also exported to the desktop. Used the same raw video file and the only effect I applied was changing the speed to 25%. Both video lengths are 3:19 and both file exports are 407mbs. The laptop took under 2 minutes while the PC was just shy of 6 minutes. I took screenshots shortly after hitting export on both machines so you can see what the cores are doing. 

LAPTOP EXPORT.pngPC EXPORT.jpg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have only used Intel processors and have none experience of the Ryzen processors. Did you build the computer yourself? No matter what, make sure that the latest chipset drivers, etc are installed. Maybe try to export without any speed changes, just the clip and the Lumetri filter on.

Try this as well, to rule out any hardware accelerated issues when it comes to H.264 encoding. Export on both computers to CineForm and see how that performs. See the settings below.

Averdahl_0-1593204378089.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the problem:

The AMD Radeon GPU. Not the Ryzen CPU. You see, RDNA still has teething problems in Premiere Pro. While your old laptop has an Nvidia GPU (although granted, that Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M GPU is a first-generation Maxwell GPU that made its debut in the GTX 750 Ti back in 2014 albeit with different operating clock speeds).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep...Adobe and NVIDIA just work better together in general. Although it is older, that means there's been more driver updates and firmware fixes with the 960m. 

I appreciate the input! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have an AMD CPU in my main desktop - but with a GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER installed. It (my 3800X) did smoke my older Intel 7th-Generation (i7-7700) miniITX PC in exports, largely but not entirely due to the more powerful GPU. My older i7-7700 PC was recently updated to a GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER, and still falls behind my 3800X overall.

And PugetSystems did test the Radeon RX 5700 XT against the Nvidia SUPER GPUs on one of its very recent articles about GPU-accelerated encoding. The result? The comparably priced RTX 2060 SUPER still smoked the RX 5700 XT. In fact, the RX 5700 XT performed more like a GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER that costs 40 percent less. Puget tested the GPUs in an AMD Threadripper 3970X PC to eliminate the CPU as a bottleneck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Man great to know...would have loved to see all that prior to putting the build together. Probably would have gone with the 2070super or 2080Ti knowing what I know now. I'm hoping AMD does what they can to make the most of the 5700xt cause I know the hardware is there.

Checked out some of the Puget benchmarks, really glad you turned me their direction. I was considering a Radeon VII as well and that seems to be bottom of the Adobe barrel too! Cant believe the 2060 scored higher than the Radeon VII in overall score! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines