Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premier Pro & Encore CS6 best graphics card to get

Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2016 Sep 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Last year I built a new system for editing 1080p video using Premier Pro & Encore CS6 as follows

gigabyte ga-b85m-ds3h-a

intel i7-4790k 4GHz

16GB ddr3 1333MHz

Corsair cx v2 500w psu

Onboard Intel 5000 graphics 1GB

It is not overclocked, I have tried changing it in the BIOS to 4.2 or 4.3GHz but it still stays at 4GHz, is this some weird motherboard issue?

But it is actually rendering slightly slower than the older i7 we have

i7-3770 3.4GHz

16GB DDR3

Nvidia GT640 2GB graphics card

So the only real difference is the graphics card, but will that old graphics card really make any difference?

But coming onto the main question, what graphics card should I get for the i7-4790k machine that will have the most impact without spending a fortune? Also I'm guessing it will need a new power supply as well

Would we see better performance if we upgraded to CC2015? If so would that need a different graphics card?

Thanks for any info or recommendations

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2016 Oct 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes sir!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't realize that having 'standard' cooled CPU's have over-heating issues was such an extreme rarity. In our photo studio here over the last 25 or more years, we've had three just running Lightroom & Photoshop that had over-heating issues. Apparently, lightning struck us multiple times!

Oh ... and our last home machine, an i5 our youngest did do some (very) basic gaming on ... so I suppose four machines.

Wow ... to be so blessed by such a rare event!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

basic/cheap computers can have problems with overheating, but that is from how they are designed rather than an "air cooler" problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm ... other than the home machine, the other's we had don't seem to have fit in the basic/cheap category ... ah well. Two were custom builds (but not overclocked) with extra case fans. But I'm quite obviously not a computer expert just a user.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bobj82408811 wrote:

A stock fan should be able to adequately cool the CPU its supplied with otherwise what is the point of supplying the fan?? "This fan is OK as long as you dont max out the CPU".......

Actually, the i7-4790K's stock heatsink/fan was designed when CPUs only ran at 2.8 GHz maximum. The i7-4790K, on the other hand. ran at a high 4.2 GHz on all four cores on Turbo even at the default (stock) settings. As a result, the stock heatsink becomes oversaturated with heat.

In other words, that stock fan wasn't designed for even 3.5 GHz, let alone 4.2 GHz, CPU operation. Understandably, Intel had decided to omit the stock fan on all unlocked mainstream CPUs beginning with Skylake.

By the way, your 4790K is unlocked, but the B85 chipset will not let you set the CPU clock speed above its stock 4.0 GHz (this means that while you can technically set the clock speed to 4.2 or 4.3 GHz, it will be automatically reset to the stock 4.0 GHz on reboot).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well this suddenly got lively....... haha

I dont think the 4790k's heatsink was designed when CPU's only ran at 2.8GHz because its one of the small ones, and CPU's have been over 3GHz for years now

but anyway

I only got the 4790k over the 4790 because its faster at stock speed, the client didnt want to overclock so thats why I didnt bother with a more expensive mobo

BUT, THE POINT IS, every CPU should be sold with a heatsink that is fit for purpose or sold without one, Intel have fooked up there

The only time I have ever come across overheating computers is when the heatsink has been completely blocked up with dust and I live where its a high ambient temperature all year round

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2016 Oct 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The zalmann fan has got the temps down to around 70C at full load now, so happy days

According to intel the heatsink and fan are fine for that CPU..............................

"Thank you for contacting Intel Customer support,
Please note that the boxed version of the i7-4790k is shipped with the Intel E97378-001 thermal solution which has been validated for the use with the processor."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2016 Sep 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I highly recommend for a cost sensitive requirement a look at the GTX 1060 my personal choice is the EVGA 06G-P4-6163-KR which EVGA Lists for $259 but because it is short supply I have seen advertised for $539! My $259 card works great and with slight overclocking is slightly faster than my GTX 970.

Interesting if you are using CS6 and want to add it to the list you might check and notice gpusniffer where it is listed as a GeForce GTX 1060 6GB for the listed EVGA card, I imagine that a 3GB version would be listed appropriately as GeForce GTX 1060 3GB. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2016 Sep 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for for the links I'm going through them now

PC setups

older i7

2 * 500GB hard drives, one for OS programs & the raw files from the camera and one for renders

newer i7

120GB SSD for OS & programs

1TB hard drive

I'm not totally sure of the setup on this one, but I think the raw files are saved to the hard drive and the renders are also outputted to the hard drive as well

Could this be what is slowing it down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2016 Sep 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well almost anytime you are using hard disk drives you probably are being slowed down soon or later.  In the old days my now deceased Harm recommended 5 hard disk drives but today with 3-4 times the speeds of even SATA III (6Gbits/second interface) SSD's and even better yet the newer M.2 PCIe Gen3 x4 SSD's that are 10 or more times faster the whole storage situation has change drastically.  Oh and then there is a new class of external/portable SSD's that have changed the workflow of many including me.  This is the Samsung T3  (or older Ti) if you have a USB3 port on that computer.

What motherboard or computer do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2016 Sep 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gigabyte ga-b85m-ds3h-a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2016 Sep 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that motherboard has 2 USB 3.0 ports so you could go with just a simple external device like the Samsung T3 or T1 device and have much, much faster than that hard drive.  Depending on the total size of your projects, if you can get by with 256 GB we are only talking $100 ($167 for 500 GB).  I routinely use one for my editing projects on my laptop.  I put all the media and project files on it.  Being portable allows me to take a full project from laptop to my desktop almost instantly and do the final export and burn a disc or other technique.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines