• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro using Integrated and not Dedicated Graphics Card

Participant ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, I have a quick, but important question about Premiere Pro CC 2018. It seems that Premiere Pro is using my integrated graphics on my CPU rather than using my installed and working dedicated graphics card to render GPU accelerated effects and such. I am running a fresh install of Windows 10 with the latest updates. I also have a fully updated Creative Suite. Below I have listed my system specs and screenshots for reference to the issue. Notice that under GPU Engine in Task Manager, it lists GPU 0, my integrated graphics. I have also done some research of my own, and I have come across adding the "cuda_supported_cards.txt" into Premiere Pro's installation directory. I have done that, and I have tried both typing "GeForce GTX 1060" and "GeForce GTX 1060 6GB" into the document, but its the same story for both cases: it uses my integrated graphics. The file currently lists "GeForce GTX 1060".

Thank for any and all help,

Ryan

System:

7th Gen Intel i7-7700K Processor (No current overclock)

nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

256GB M.2 SSD

2TB 7200 RPM HDD

16GB of 2400MHz DDR4 Memory

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Screenshots (Idle, Premiere Pro loaded and open, not rendering):

idle.PNG

idle 2.PNG

Screenshots (Premiere running, Rendering previews for a project of mine):

render.PNG

render 2.PNG

render 3.PNG

render 4.PNG

render 5.PNG

Text Document:

cuda.PNG

cuda 2.PNG

[Moderator note: moved to best forum for technical issues.]

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

We created a video on how to optimize your GPU for Adobe apps here! Take it with a grain of salt, if you have an Intel GPU using QuickSync, you're best off using that GPU for H.264 and HEVC (H.265). 

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 161 Replies 161
Participant ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previously, all posts to this thread have been about CC 2018.  However, I just updated to 2019 today. I have yet to decide if anything has improved in this version yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well thanks to Adobe dropping support for Windows 7, I have purchased a new Windows 10 Pro computer with a GTX 1080 GPU.  After installing the Adobe apps, including Premiere Pro CC 2019, I have found that my render times on the new computer are slower than my 10 year old Windows 7 machine with a GTX 1050.  I checked task manager and sure enough, Premiere Pro is using the embedded Intel GPU and the CPU - NOT my expensive GTX 1080!  I checked the forums and have seen that others have complained of the same problem.  I tried a few of the workarounds with no success.

I finally called Adobe support this afternoon.  After waiting on hold for 20 minutes, I finally got a support person.  We did a remote session and using Task Manager/Performance, he saw what I have been seeing - CPU at ~25%, Intel GPU at ~75%, GTX GPU at 1%.  He had no fix.  At this point I asked to speak with a support Manager.  He said I would receive a call within 48 hours!

I can hardly wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

If desktop, disable the on-board Intel graphics thing. We always do.

Some laptops can do this, but many can't. So ... especially for laptops ... this needs a solution.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a desktop (Dell XPS 8930).  Cannot disable in the BIOS.  Disabling it with Win 10 Device manager doesn't help.  Premiere Pro CC 2019 sees it and uses it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue where the Dell BIOS/UEFI is so skimpy that you cannot disable the integrated graphics. I am interested to know how your call with "a manager" goes. I think that many in this thread would appreciate you giving us a recap of your call. As we have gotten no true response from Adobe, I think this great progress for desktop and laptop users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an unusual situation for a desktop, and ... wow ... that would tick me off. We do need movement on getting a setting of which GPU to use in the preferences.

Adobe's UserVoice Bug /Feature form: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro​

Over there I found several posts ... this one: Premiere Pro not using Nvidia GPU for rendering – Adobe video & audio apps

and this one the more applicable I think: Premiere Pro not using Dedicated GPU. – Adobe video & audio apps

I would recommend visiting and up-voting both of these threads there. The posts/votes on that go directly to  both the engineer's system and the upper manager's collated list of user bugs/concerns, the one that gets used to determine budgets.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Dells BIOS is frustrating. Although, I agree that these posts on the UserVoice system should be looked into. There is also the one below that has more of a taking (in terms of votes and comments) below. Again, I agree with Neil that these threads should be up-voted and promoted as much as possible to get something done.

P. Pro not using correct graphics card – Adobe video & audio apps

Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've voted on that last one some time ago, and thanks for bringing that one back up!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have done that already.  When I spoke with the CSR this afternoon, he acted like he'd never heard of the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the CSR's are generalists. They've got a list of things to go through for trouble-shooting but no particular experience in any one specific app.

Product Support Manager Kevin Monahan advises that anytime you have a video-app related question to customer service types, phone or chat, that as soon as you get a live person, request transfer to the Video Que ... you'll get someone with a bit more knowledge of the DVA's, digital video apps ... Ae, PrPro, Me, Audition.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not know that!  Video queue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, like ... would anyone if you hadn't been told? Wish their generalist CSR's would mention that.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just commenting to keep this alive. How is this not resolved? I have a gtx960m although Adobe continues to use the integrated Dell card for all GPU intensive work. Annoying as heck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File this on the UserVoice feedback setup they have. VASTLY improved over their old bug report process. I'm on phone or I'd give a link but you can find it on the overview page.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with my Microsoft Surface Book 2 15' with the NVIDIA GTX1060 GPU. As of this post, 6/11/19, everything is up to date i.e. latest version of Windows 10 and Creative Cloud apps (Premiere Pro and Media Encoder). This is total BS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ryant27965867​,

Below is the link to the post on the User Voice page.

P. Pro not using correct graphics card – Adobe video & audio apps

Also, I like the name!

Ryan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem on HP Spectre 360-- tried forcing AME and Premier Pro to use the good GPU using the Nvidia Control Panel, but AME still refuses, uses built-in GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem.

I have an NVIDIA GPU card (I admit it, a bit dated now, a GTX680M) in my Alienware laptop.

When using Premier Pro, I can not select this card in the Project settings. I only have the choice of Mercury Playback Engine GPU... Why?

I was considering upgrading my laptoop to a new Alienware 17, with an i9 and an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080 to super boost up the performance in Premier Pro, however I see numerous people with the GTX1080 who are experiencing the same problem than me: Premier Pro not letting them use their dedicated NVIDIA graphic card.

Hence, before investing in anything new, and in order to see how my own system will perform when using my current NVIDIA card, can someone please help and tell my how to get Premier Pro to use my dedicated GPU card (and not the default Mercury option).

Needless to say, super frustrating to spend hours trolling the net to find an answer to this.

Thanks

Isabel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a problem for some laptop users, and without knowing any of the 'internal data', I've wondered if it's more common with certain brands/boards/BIOS than others. Some folks are able to disable the on-board chip in the BIOS or computer's user settings, and some aren't.

Those that can obviously don't have any issue.

So ... you might check on that new laptop you're looking at, whether you can disable the onboard graphics chip. If you can, then there's no problem to be had.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil! I had not heard this before. Worth exploring!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is such a pain for some users. Hope you can get this sorted for yourself!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed this issue on my custom PC. Granted that my GPU is outdated as it is an EVGA GTX 680 FTW. I noticed stutters and lag while playback/scrubbing. I pulled up my task manager to see that my GPU is not being utilized at all. Even with effects that are labeled to be accelerated with the GPU. Until this weekend, I haven't touched Premiere in a year and this wasn't an issue last time. I had more effects and heavier editing last time with no issues, but this time with a lighter workflow it was stuttering/lagging pretty bad.

I was told to just use proxies, which is fine if I were working with 4K footage, but this is 1080p footage and what wasn't a problem before is a problem now. It's frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That 680 is about the end of life, sadly. I dumped my 770 two years back. It's ... time.

As PrPro keeps moving forward, it's designed to use current generation architecture/capabilities of the hardware. They keep some backwards usability, but ... only for so long.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to chime in with my experiences.

Alienware Aurora R7

8700kCPU

1080Ti 11GB

32GB ram

all latest updates to drivers, CC, and win10

Exporting from Premiere, while looking in the performance tab of the task manager, my internal GPU was getting heavy utilization during the render...and I had an 8 minute estimate from Premiere.

Went to device manager and disabled the integrated GPU there. Went back and re-exported the sequence from Premiere. Task manager showed only the 1080Ti, but it never went over 2% utilization. But is that because it's just a much more powerful GPU, and what makes it ramp up to 2% made the internal GPU ramp up higher? When I cancelled the render the GPU usage did become a flat line instead of very small spike. So it seems like it was doing something while exporting...also...the estimate given from Premiere this time was 4 minutes for the exact same sequence. (and I didn't have "use previews" checked, so I don;t think it was just using previews already rendered the first time)

Not sure if my GPU is really working. Would love to see it at 100% utilization and have the exports be even faster...but....if the bottleneck is elsewhere then whatever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPUs are only used for things on the GPU Accelerated Effects list, stuff like color or Lumetri,  Warp Stabilizer, major resizing, a few other things.

When in use, they do what is assigned them as the CPU gets to the various tasks. So it is not at all common for a GPU to peg at 100%. For a few moments let alone an entire export.

They don't work independently.

Exports are largely a matter of cores/RAM effective utilization plus drive access speed. You want to get drive access, RAM use, and GPU capabilities to a point where that CPU runs high.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines