Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with Playback

Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I know that this topic might be already on the table for many times but I'm really in trouble with my computer and premiere pro. The playback is very choppy although I'm already using proxy files (1280x720). When I press the playback button it all starts smooth but after 3-4 seconds it gets choppy and another 3seconds later it seems that 90% of frames being dropped. I know my computer is not the strongest. I actually bought it for Lightroom and Photoshop editing but now with my drone I also wanted to create short movies.

My Configuration:

CPU: i5 6600k (Overclocked 4,4GHz)

RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050ti 4GB

System Disk: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (System + Proxy Files)

Workspace Disk: Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Footage, Audio, Export files)

When Playback and checking the performance monitor I clearly see that CPU is at its maximum of all four cores at 100%, RAM is 50-70% (13GB assigned), Disk 0 is 1-2% and Disk 1 is 10-30%, GPU 40-50%

Is really my CPU the bottleneck? I ordered now another 16GB of RAM but I'm not 100% sure if this will help. At least I would be happy if the proxy files can be played without dropping frames..

Please help me to identify the bottleneck of my computer.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mIght want to try and set the cpu to normal speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. I‘m not sure this is the cause. I checked this already and every benchmark tells me that the CPU runs a very good speed for his type.

Or do you think that only PP has an issue with overclocked CPUs?

btw. Can somebody move this Thread to the HW Forum.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Overclocking can cause issues, just try it.

moved to hardware forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to check the temperatures of your CPU for possible overheating. You see, one of the biggest dangers of overclocking a CPU is abnormally high in-CPU temperatures, especially under load, due to inadequate mounting of the CPU cooler and/or an inadequate cooler itself. The CPU may be throttling back the clock speed during the render to save itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello

It is not related to rendering but just simple playback in the editor. For me it seems more an issue of buffering since it starts buttery smooth and it gets choppy after 3-4 seconds. HDD is almost Idle = 18%, SSD = 2% from where proxies being read.

the core temperatur is on a normal level. E.g 73-75 degrees during Media encoding.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines